Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-10-2023, 12:32 PM

Default One more shotgun coyote

Last Friday was a bit of an odd day. Work had me taking a farm truck to the mechanic that for safety reasons was driven in via back roads. On the drive there and back I spotted 21 coyotes!!! It was insane. Never in all my years in this area had I ever seen so many coyotes running around in the middle of the day.
The rest of the day wore on as I desperately attempted to get off work early. Finally at 430 I was released from the bonds of tedious manual labor and rushed out to where I had seen 3 coyotes wandering around mousing.
The approach and setup did not lend much cover but after finding myself a small snowbank I hunkered down and let out a series of lone howls.
With no response I switched it up and let rip with a series of cottontail squeals. Once again no response and no coyote.
Now confused as I knew this area didn't offer much for them to hide and they surely had to have stayed in earshot I used my 4x Leica rangefinder to scan for coyotes which shortly answered my questions.
1100 yards out the 3 of them stood out on the meadow. They were wandering around moping about obviously not paying any attention to me as likely they saw my truck when I pulled up. With nothing to lose I picked my loudest howler and let loose with the loudest barks, yips and ki-yis I could muster. The view through the Leica told me it at least caught interest of one as he was slowly ambling his way over albeit quite slowly. At roughly 900 yards he checked up which I later learned because he could see my truck. Once more I bawled and screamed away on the howler trying to sound like a big fight was going on.
As I was looking towards the coyote I was calling to I caught movement to my left. Not 30 yards away a large female was circling around in front of me with a look like "why is that snowbank barking so much???" Slowly as I could I lowered the call and brought the shotgun to bear. One shot between the barbwire was all it took for her to crumple like a cheap tent.
PXL_20230204_001400603.PORTRAIT by brad, on Flickr

The calls that brought her in. Female howler on the right for lone howls and adult howler on the left for loud pup fights both made by me.

PXL_20230204_001224812.MP by brad , on Flickr

For those of you that like following along my coyote hunting exploits I have created a website mainly for the business side of my callmaking that has a blog feature built into the program. If I were to start a small blog for sharing not only my hunts but the callmaking and gear as well would you be interested in that type of stuff? https://www.trophycountrycalls.ca/blog

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-10-2023, 12:46 PM

Very cool!

Very nice work on those calls.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Very cool!

Very nice work on those calls.
Thank you

Old 02-14-2023, 08:14 AM

Love your adventures.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-14-2023, 08:21 AM

Great post! I’ll check out your website for sure! Thanks
Old 02-14-2023, 10:40 AM

Thx for sharing. I called in a couple for my daughter this weekend. Both very slow to respond, no interest in any coyote calls but finally got one to come into a rabbit and the other showed up to a raven fight and made his final approach to a mouse squeak. I had pretty much given up on the second set and was trying the random raven and rabbit calls on the new to me Fox Pro when the coyote finally showed up. makes me wonder how many coyotes I've spooked away as I walked back to the truck. After that set, I would say there is no such thing as over calling for coyotes.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-14-2023, 09:30 PM

Sure enjoy the pics, write-ups, and the fellas that respond with their own adventures. Thanks a bunch!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-22-2023, 06:04 AM

Congrats.

What you observed, 21 coyotes in the middle of the day, is the coyote mating season.

Nice looking calls. I would ask if you could build me some, but I have so many that I would sink a small ship if I took them all with me.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:24 AM

Very cool and the colour on those calls look really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Congrats.

What you observed, 21 coyotes in the middle of the day, is the coyote mating season.

Nice looking calls. I would ask if you could build me some, but I have so many that I would sink a small ship if I took them all with me.

Yeah I knew it was mating season but even still that's quite a lot in just a 20 min drive!
You think you have too many calls I make the dang things I don't know if I have hunted with the same call twice this year haha.

Old 02-23-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Haha! I'm in the same boat... Or in your case, a "ship"...

Gorgeous calls.