Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
sheephunter

Default Lots of Pronghorns

While nothing scientific about the observations, I put on a little over 1,100kms yesterday and was really pleased with how many antelope I saw. Lots of bucks in particular. Hopefully it's a good sign of things to come. Man it sure is dry in the deep southeast though!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Where did they come from? I had heard from a buddy that they all got killed in the last couple bad winters. I can't see them making a big comeback that fast.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
sheephunter

We definitely lost some during the winter of 2010 but "all" might be a bit harsh. The migration was undoubtedly a bit screwed up with high water and heavy spring snow last year as well. Like I said, nothing scientific about what I saw but I was pleasantly surprised with the numbers we saw....some decent bucks as well. We saw many Ferruginous Hawks as well, so they seem to be doing quite well, at least in that area. Spring definitely came early to the southeast part of Alberta...now they just need some rain.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Good to hear TJ. Will most likely be a few years till I get back over there to hunt them, but this nice warm winter should have made things easier on them for sure.

My next trip is a Wyoming antelope....been waiting too long to do that!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Gone Hunting

OK that settles it, I will apply for Archery antelope this year (I got heaps of priority) and if I don't get one its your fault sheephunter!

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM

Sheep,

Are you sure they were Pronghorns?

Pack said they have been wiped out due to Bad management practices and greedy hunters.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Im siding more with Packs version than Sheeps though I have seen a few more antelope of late closer to the Suffield block area.Im no expert or biologist but I put on a lot of miles and still see fairly well and believe me numbers are down big time.With the large numbers of coyotes fawn mortality will also be high so I cant see a dramatic change in the near future but our game department must as the season is still a go.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
Im siding more with Packs version than Sheeps though I have seen a few more antelope of late closer to the Suffield block area.Im no expert or biologist but I put on a lot of miles and still see fairly well and believe me numbers are down big time.With the large numbers of coyotes fawn mortality will also be high so I cant see a dramatic change in the near future but our game department must as the season is still a go.
LOL...I didn't know I had a version...I just passed along that I saw quite a few antelope on a drive yesterday and was pleasantly surprised compared to what I saw on the same drive last year.....I know I didn't imagine them Didn't mean this to turn into a huge debate or a discussion about antelope management....I was just passing along some observations from one spot in the province on one day in time. It was a nice day (except for the ticks) and it was nice to see quite a few antelope....let's leave it at that. Oh ya, the clubhouse in the Foremost bar was quite good too....now that is my version
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Stop the propaganda. This thread is useless without pics. Tj if you drove 1100kms without a shutter-clicker I am dissappointed. Show me the goats.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
sheephunter

LOL...lots of excuses why I didn't take many and only had a short lens with me but here's one of the better bucks we saw.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM

T.J. you're getting me pumped. Still wondering whether or not to use my priority 10 this fall or not.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Well that solves it....there is only ONE antelope left in Alberta.....pics dont lie....
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
T.J. you're getting me pumped. Still wondering whether or not to use my priority 10 this fall or not.
If u know u can get the time off, id go for it.....Theres still some big herds and big bucks around.

Espicially in wmu 144
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Ya it's a tough call but even though numbers are still likely down considerably, the lure of very few hunters in the field is a strong one. No doubt a few good bucks around and not many hunters to compete with....I'd go for it!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
We definitely lost some during the winter of 2010 but "all" might be a bit harsh. The migration was undoubtedly a bit screwed up with high water and heavy spring snow last year as well. Like I said, nothing scientific about what I saw but I was pleasantly surprised with the numbers we saw....some decent bucks as well. We saw many Ferruginous Hawks as well, so they seem to be doing quite well, at least in that area. Spring definitely came early to the southeast part of Alberta...now they just need some rain.
from what i saw on my daily drives in february, they began to show up pretty good through that month. the only explanation....again unscientific....is migration. i wasnt sure if they had just moved around within alberta to where i was seeing them, or up form montana. im still not sure of that, but i am as sure as you that numbers are up a bunch from the same time last year. we will find out for sure when they fly in june or july.

and not substantial yet, but there was a little rain this morning with more scheduled in the next few days. i hope it pours lots because you are right about the dry conditions. its brutally dry right now.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...lots of excuses why I didn't take many and only had a short lens with me but here's one of the better bucks we saw.

Very good Picture, it actually looks like a painting.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM

This is very good news. I've built up a fair bit of priority on both trophy and non-trophy. Maybe enough to decide if I want to actually hunt one this year, or 999 again. Will a 5 get me anything?

yeah yeah, I know I could go look up last year's draw stats. LOL
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Will a 5 get me anything?
A chance to play again next year !
Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Have been seeing increasing numbers like ISB mentions in his post. Trophy quality, well there is a couple of pigs still out there roaming the native grasses.. Sure nice to see and the speculation from last years terrible winter seems to be better than some have indicated.

Might draw a tag this year, been waiting for a different goat and have finally found one to look forward too..

Good luck everyone !
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Well that solves it....there is only ONE antelope left in Alberta.....pics dont lie....
LOL. I will see if I can dig up one of my photos of the last grizzly bear too
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
We should name him, and have Pack stand guard all year.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM

The advantages i see for the guys who get drawn is it wont be crowded and less competition with other hunters.
Thanks for the update TJ , Thats positive news.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Maybe they will hand out a large amount of tags?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Just got back from Sask, saw a TON of antelope and lots of bucks too!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 PM

Waiting for Pack to raise his head ..
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Makes sense to me that a hard winter / wet weather would push a many antelope south and and a drier / warmer winter / spring would bring them back.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Thumbs down

Rumour has it, SRD will ask the outfitters to not use all there permits due to resident tags being decreased last year and this year. There way of keeping the peace, what a load of crap. They get asked, we get shown the tag numbers after the draw.

I doubt they will, they had a good season last year, they shot good bucks with no residents in there way. Look at there sites, very nice bucks.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Rumour has it, SRD will ask the outfitters to not use all there permits due to resident tags being decreased last year and this year.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

^^ gotta agree. you dont really believe a story like that i hope.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

Like I said a rumour, from a good source, we"ll see.
Hope the antelope numbers are coming back, great to hear.