Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Default seconds to success.

When you are out hunting it is important to 1. be in an area where the game you are after is found. 2. have the proper equipment needed and know how it all works. 3. spend the time and always BE PREPARED to make a shot.

When an opportunity arrives to take the shot, how long does it take you to make the shot? How often I have heard guys say "I saw this great buck but I couldn't take the shot."

Some of the shows I have seen on Wild TV a hunter has a 4 second opportunity but takes 5 seconds to get the shot off. So they "could not get a shot". Sometimes the first shot is a miss but the fellow does not get ready and take the second shot fast enough. They "could not get a second shot".

There is often a lot of time and expense taken to get to the "moment of truth" it is so important to be ready to go when the opportunity comes along and make a safe well aimed shot in as short a time as possible.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Default some truth

But also sometimes the 4 second opportunity is not enough for killing shot so I wil wait for a beter opportunity rather than risk wounding a running animal.

I don't like low percentage shots so will wait rather than wound and take myself and my party out of the hunt for the day tracking an amimal that should have dropped within 100 yards. if I am not almost sure of a kill I wait.
Interesting topic to see what others think though.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Some of the shows I have seen on Wild TV a hunter has a 4 second opportunity but takes 5 seconds to get the shot off. So they "could not get a shot".
I find myself yelling "SHOOT....SHOOT",. then the target walks off. Worse than a hockey game.lol Some are incredibly slow to get the shot off.You'd think they have the animals tied down the way they fool around.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Gone Hunting

I would assume the main priority with hunting shows is getting footage. Getting a shot on film is the goal, but they want as much footage of the animal before the shot as possible. Many times the shooter has to wait on the camera man before even thinking about taking a shot.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Taught a friend to hunt. I taught D to be methodical and safe, and to make his first shot count. When I first took him out I made sure to set him up for success by getting to our vantage / shooting location early, getting him set up on a bipod and opportunities at distances he was comfortable with.

When I moved to AB he started hunting with my best friend Scott who I have hunted with my entire life. Last fall we hunted moose together in northern BC (I hunted grouse and fished, but we shared a great camp). Scott voiced his frustration hunting with our friend; seems that even though 10 years had gone by since I took D out and he took his first deer and bear, he appeared to be stuck with the "process". He still only shoots from his bipod (no matter how close the shot, how unappropriate the terrain or vegetation!), and takes forever to take a shot.

Scott related a story where they had been driving up a logging road in central BC when Scott had spotted a young Muley buck off the road about 50 yards. D says "I got him" and proceeds to get out of the truck. Scott hops out, loads and throws his rifle up to back up D. He waits...... and waits.... while D has sprawled out on the road (legal in BC) in front of the truck, extends the legs of his bipod, loads a couple rounds, checks the buck over with his binos, and settles in behind the scope. Meanwhile Scott is watching the buck getting twitchy and as it turns its head he decides the buck is about to bail, so he hits it behind the shoulder and down he goes.

D didn't take this well and it had caused a rift between them. I had assumed that a decade of hunting would have encouraged him to learn how to shoot standing, sitting, off a rest, etc. Apparenty I was wrong. Later on our moose trip D decided to take a black bear while he was hunting with Scott. They found a nice bear and Scott said it was absolutely painful to watch. It was close to legal light so he had looked at his watch when they spotted the bear; it was a full 3 minutes later when the shot rang out!!!

Well, I can say that he is very careful when he shoots LOL. Maybe he should get his own hunting show.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM

I'd rather hunt with the guy who takes what time he needs to make a good shot as opposed to the guy who starts blasting away because 'It's gonna get away'. If the thing gets away before someone gets a shot who gives a crap.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

When I'm rippin around on the quad I can usualy get a coupla shot's off in 5 second's after I getter whoad down !!!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Hey, this ain't combat and they don't shoot back. I like my game standing and giving me a good shot. Better take an extra second and make sure your target is legal and put that bullet, where it belongs.

Grizz
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Hey, this ain't combat and they don't shoot back. I like my game standing and giving me a good shot. Better take an extra second and make sure your target is legal and put that bullet, where it belongs.

Grizz
x2 ............ that's what i was trying to say !!!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
When I'm rippin around on the quad I can usualy get a coupla shot's off in 5 second's after I getter whoad down !!!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM

A quote overheard that Fishnuts9 made to the waitress....."Come on just let me try it......I only need a few seconds anyway....."

a few second for success indeed.....

LC
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
I would assume the main priority with hunting shows is getting footage. Getting a shot on film is the goal, but they want as much footage of the animal before the shot as possible. Many times the shooter has to wait on the camera man before even thinking about taking a shot.

Thats a good explanation of why they drag their feet on a TV show.
I wish they would figure out some kind of signal as to when the camera man has the game in frame and when the hunter is going to shoot. I find it irritating when they say "are ya on him" several times.

I am not talking about hurrying a shot when you are not sure if it is safe or if the animal is legal or the one you want to take.

But is you wait till you know it is the animal you want to take and then you begin to get ready for the shot you may not get the shot at that animal.

Here is an example.

I was walking slowly along looking for the right spot to set up my folding chair to wait the last bit of legal shooting time. I saw some deer jumping around in the bush across the pipeline from me but didn't think I had spooked them. I got my rifle that was on the sling on my shoulder down and took the safety off. and brought it up to my shoulder ready to fire. Then I heard a buck grunting. A doe stepped out on a cutline that crossed the pipeline where I was standing. I knew the animal following was a buck so I was ready to shoot as he came out on the cutline after the doe. The buck was in view maybe 2.5 seconds but as I was ready to shoot it only took a glance at his head gear to decide to take him. BOOM! he went into the Boon and Crockett book as a nontypical.

If I had been standing there with the safety engaged on my rifle waiting for a standing broadside shot, it would have been a story about seeing a great buck that I "couldn't get a shot at".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM

I always have my rifle in hand when in the bush,it only goes over my shoulder if it absolutly has to be for climbing etc.
having it ready for action asap has made the difference between filling a tag or not many times.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

Who's that kid ???
Old 04-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

i really believe that with whitetails, the best opportunity you will get to kill him is as soon as you see him....in range of course. being ready to make the shot is very important....but remember to be safe about it. dont go pointing guns into the trees because you heard a noise.....
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Practice shooting and dryfiring your rifle from posistions you encounter in the field once the gun is shooting where you want it.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 PM

I practice shooting offhand accurately Non stop. Coming from hunting deer being pushed you better know how to shoot. Works for me.