Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM

Ethics and big brown eyes go together well. I don't understand how it is an issue killing ungulates at longer distances but shooting at varmints etc. is not? Tell me when you pull the trigger on a duck flying overhead you are 100 % sure its going to be a kill shot. Sit back and profess with a puffed chest how you won't shoot if you are not guaranteed to kill that deer but are very lucky to kill 25 % of the ducks and geese you shoot at? How is taking 200 yard shots at gophers any different? So the "ethical" fellows here just look at a gopher at 75 yards and say -nope- no shot from me as I might just wound it?
If you hunt you wound and there is no two ways about it. The size of the eyeballs are proportional to the hypocrisy in these ethic threads.

Discussing another hunter/shooter's ethics is the same as a group of women gossiping about what the other gal has on for shoes.
This thread is not pondering its pandering, the shot you take is legal or it's not and nothing more.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 AM

When you shoot varmints are you planning on eating them or recovering them at all?

No one said they only shoot if they can guarantee a kill 100% (no one can guarantee that) I should hope most who shoot at game they plan on recovering have at least a high percentage of probability of achieving that! I said they "strive" for a one shot kill...what's wrong with that? Nothing wrong with setting the bar high

Discussing what is acceptable or not has nothing to do with the colour of your camo

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-29-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
My take on this entire issues is as follows and I am a bow hunter as well as a rifle hunter.

At 20 yards with a bow or 1000 yards with a rifle, dead is dead. Don't forget that there are many groups that want to ban hunting as they see any form of it as unethical.

As hunters, we should not be giving them any more ammunition or reasons to promote their agendas.

I am considering bear hunting with a spear, does that make me unethical?
Well that depends. If you practice, stay within your limits and your weapon of choice is capable of a clean kill (which spears and Atlatls are) it is no different than long range hunting, bow hunting and rifle hunting. All these methods take practice and if hunters stay within there limits and do everything they can to make a quick clean kill it is no different other than the method used. Methods used are a personal choice and should stay that way. If we all had every method banned that we didn't use we as hunters would be left with nothing as everybody is different.

Now on the other hand , if one was to not practice, take shots or throws that are beyond there capabilities with any weapon I would consider it unethical.

Everybody is different and has different capabilities. Some people are more capable of making a clean 700 yard long range shot than others at 100 yards. Same with bows, some are capable at 70 yards or more and some shouldn't shoot past 10 yards. We as hunters need to stop pushing are personal ethics on other hunters. Just because we don't use a certain method or aren't capable of making a certain shot does not mean that someone else isn't.

Practice, stay within your limits with what ever method you choose.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Well that depends. If you practice, stay within your limits and your weapon of choice is capable of a clean kill (which spears and Atlatls are) it is no different than long range hunting, bow hunting and rifle hunting. All these methods take practice and if hunters stay within there limits and do everything they can to make a quick clean kill it is no different other than the method used. Methods used are a personal choice and should stay that way. If we all had every method banned that we didn't use we as hunters would be left with nothing as everybody is different.

Now on the other hand , if one was to not practice, take shots or throws that are beyond there capabilities with any weapon I would consider it unethical.

Everybody is different and has different capabilities. Some people are more capable of making a clean 700 yard long range shot than others at 100 yards. Same with bows, some are capable at 70 yards or more and some shouldn't shoot past 10 yards. We as hunters need to stop pushing are personal ethics on other hunters. Just because we don't use a certain method or aren't capable of making a certain shot does not mean that someone else isn't.

Well stated!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The Boone and Crockett Club believes the term “long-range” shooting is more defined by a hunter’s intent, than any specific distance at which a shot is taken. If the intent of the individual is to test equipment and determine how far one can shoot to hit a live target and if there is no motivation to risk engagement with the animal being hunted, this practice is not hunting and should not be accorded the same status as hunting.

Bingo, to many guys playing video games and watching sniper videos wanting to be called hunters. They are not like me and I'm not like them. I don't identify with or support them, not matter what the we are all in this together crowd says.
There are guys who play video games and watch sniper videos wanting to be called hunters that bow hunt, rifle hunt and long range hunt that should not be hunting. I guess by your logic we should just ban all forms of hunting because there are bad apples with all forms of hunting.

I do agree. " They are not like me and I'm not like them. I don't identify with or support them, not matter what the we are all in this together crowd says." Just don't get confused with the method when it is the azzhat user that makes us all look bad with all methods of hunting.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
When you shoot varmints are you planning on eating them or recovering them at all?

No one said they only shoot if they can guarantee a kill 100% (no one can guarantee that) I should hope most who shoot at game they plan on recovering have at least a high percentage of probability of achieving that! I said they "strive" for a one shot kill...what's wrong with that? Nothing wrong with setting the bar high

Discussing what is acceptable or not has nothing to do with the colour of your camo

LC
Does a coyote with a leg shot off or gut shot suffer any less than Bambi?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Does a coyote with a leg shot off or gut shot suffer any less than Bambi?
Isn't that rhetorical? You know the answer

LC
Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Isn't that rhetorical? You know the answer

LC
Rhetorical, yes.

But I have yet to see anyone calling marginal shot taking on coyotes unethical, not condemning that because you don't plan on eating it doesn't hold water.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Rhetorical, yes.

But I have yet to see anyone calling marginal shot taking on coyotes unethical, not condemning that because you don't plan on eating it doesn't hold water.
Why don't you be the first then? If I shoot a duck and kill
it with one shot but don't have the means to collect it or make an effort...is that ok? If I shoot a gopher and kill it with one shot but leave it...is that ok?

This one "died ethically"

This also "died ethically"

LC
Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Rhetorical, yes.

No offense at all to anyone lefty but expmler "gets it".
Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
No offense at all to anyone lefty but expmler "gets it".
I get it too

A "Hail Mary" at a coyote or a deer holds the same regard or disregard for your quarry....on that I am sure we all agree.

LC
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Why don't you be the first then? If I shoot a duck and kill
it with one shot but don't have the means to collect it or make an effort...is that ok? If I shoot a gopher and kill it with one shot but leave it...is that ok?

This one "died ethically"

This also "died ethically"

LC
I must have missed something in your argument.

I thought you said that taking a low percentage shot at a "game animal" was unethical because it may not be recovered or may suffer needlessly.

Yet you do not apply this same standard to varmints based on the fact that you don't intend to eat it.

My point being that if I posted pics of a whitetail buck I shot at 500 yards using Kentucky windage I would be beat about the head and shoulders by the ethics police here.

If I posted the same story but a coyote was the target there would be back slapping and congrats on some great shooting by those same people.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned

Default Browning A Bolt Medalion 7mm Magnum

I was speaking of having the right set up to take 1000 yard shots in this thread earlier today.

After doing some research and because this thread prompted me to make a decision, I have decided to purchase a Browning A Bolt Medallion 7mm Magnum and will top it off with my Huskemaw 5-20x50mm Blue Diamond.

That should do the trick!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Browning-A-Bolt-Medallion-MID-035002-l[1].jpg (10.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Cool So right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Well stated!
X2 on this its well stated to end a
Old 04-29-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

Sorry this is what i X2 on well said to end a