Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 AM

Default Wall Tents

Hi all

My buddy and I are looking at getting a wall tent for hunting this fall. We don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject so looking for some help and info.

Looking for good place to buy, new or used
helpful features to look at
things not to buy
etc.

We are looking for one around 10 x 12 with good ceiling height

Thanks for any help
Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 AM

internal frame makes it fast and easy setup . ilike stove jack in ceiling no elbows to support . and go with higher walls 5 foot . a window is nice

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM

I bought an old used forestry 12 x 14 tent a long time ago. 400 bucks on the old bargain finder. It had 3 ft walls. That sucked so I had a 2 ft section added. Now its 5 ft walls. That is the height to have. I did the cut poles and make and outside frame for years. It sucked too. Watched campers village for a sale and got an internal frame for under 400 bucks a few years back. Color coded, easy set up. My teenage son and I can set up the tent in 30 mins from scratch. That doesn't include the tarp, stove and tying it down. Internal frame is the way to go Imo. You can hang clothes to dry, lights etc.

Buy the biggest stove you can afford, bigger means bigger pieces, less getting up at night. I got some galvanized pipe, 2 sections 4 ft long, welded the seam and now my pipe goes straight out of the tent from the stove, then the first black pipe section gets screwed on. No more creosote leaking out through the seams and burning off the outside of the pipe making the tent kinda smokey and stinky. It all drips down back into the stove. If you buy a new stove and pipes, do a good hot burn in your yard first to burn off the coatings otherwise your tent becomes a smoke shop with the first fire.

There are always tents coming up for sale in the buy and sell.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 AM

We have a 10x12 from cabaleas. Bought the pole kit (not frame kit). Take's about 15 minutes for two people to set up or take down, last spring hunting bear solo took me probably closer to an hour by the time I was done.

Very roomy for 2 people, fine for 3 with gear, would get to be tight quarters with 4 I think.
Last yr bought a second for a kitchen tent, an old forrestry tent off kijiji for 250 bucks. Heavy and pinholes in it, but sling a tarp over it and it's great. Bought a second pole kit for it as well.

Wish we would have had one decades ago; prices kept us away. If budget's an issue nothing wrong with an old forrestry tent; just tarp the roof and you're good to go. (an oversize tarp will give you an overhang )

Shop hard for a stove and do your research. Lot's available, when you find the one that suit's your want list you'll know.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM

up i have the 12 x14 forestry tent and go for a 12x14 more room for gear and a table. I use plywood for a floor and old shipping blanckets on top nice and warm for the feet

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 AM

Check out airdrie canvas, I was about to buy there until I found used on kijiji. One tip if buying used ask them to set it up. When I went to purchase this tent it looked clean an brand new, but once setup in daylight you could see all the water stains and mold on it.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM

IO have a 12 X 14 foot wall tent 5 ' walls and a 5' porch I dealt with Capital Canvas and they were great to deal with. The water heater and flat stove top are a nice addition. Love my wall tent.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM

you can buy just the angle brackets and connectors from canvas ten shop and then use steel conduit to make your frame its what i did cost me intotal 200 bucks

Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 PM

I went the costly route and spent a decent sum on my full set up. However when I look at how long I will use it for and the quality it was well worth the dollars spent.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the tips and info I will definitely look into these more.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Check out deluxewalltents.com. I have nothing but good stuff to say about their wall tents after five years of putting them to the test in the woods around Yellowknife. They will deliver anywhere Greyhound does.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM

The canvas tent shop is worth looking at as well. I bought a wilderness series 14x16 a couple years ago. It's very good quality and I'm quite happy with it.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:31 AM

2nd for Deluxe, make's good stuff & Custom if wanted, great to deal with...
Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna81 View Post
Hi all

My buddy and I are looking at getting a wall tent for hunting this fall. We don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject so looking for some help and info.

things not to buy
etc.

Thanks for any help
Check out www.capitalcanvas.ca - I bought mine from there and have been very happy with it.

If its just you and a buddy a 10' by 12' is good - if you've got more guys potentially I'd go bigger. Don't go too big though or you'll find it hard to keep warm and spend a lot of time cutting wood.

Ensure whatever tent you buy has 5 foot walls - there's cheaper versions but you lose so much useable space and you get a sore back from ducking down.

Put the stove hole on one side of the tent near the front (say front right corner) so you counteract any cool air coming in through the zipper area. Have the stove hole out the side, not the roof to avoid moisture dripping down. Use an EcoFan in the tent - its great at moving air around.

I recommend a floor. Capital Canvas does a rubberized version. I first put down vapor barrier, then this floor. Its not the warmest but you can always put a few rugs down near the cots.

I'd also recommend a vestibule / porch option. This is a good place to do some cooking and to keep your wood dry. I enclose my 5' vestibule with a plywood tent front with a door. All of my cooking, shelves, and wood go in there.

Good luck. PM me if you have any other questions.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 AM

I have a Fort McPherson. Very well made in the NWT..and supports the local economy up there.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hi all

things not to buy
etc.

Thanks for any help
Save your money. Buy a 20' square poly tarp . I can supply a tapered chimney to be the center pole that can support the weight. A stick in each corner to keep the sides tight. As long as the 4 corner pegs stay put it will stand tight in the wind. Space for 4 cots on the perimeter. That is sit in a chair height . You can size the tarp or the perimeter to get a stand up height.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=140610&page=2
post 38
Old 05-01-2015, 06:21 PM

I have 12x14' with 5' walls. Also have been in a wall tent with 3' walls and the extra 2' adds a lot of tent! Setup with a rope from tree to tree (strap type come along to tighten up) for my ridge takes me about 20min. I do have the sidewall poles cut to length so that helps. My next project is to make a frame as it is the nicer way to go. I'd skip the 10-12' tent and get a 12/14'.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:15 PM

209x50 has some new 12x14 Deluxe wall tents and frames for sale in the Buy and Sell. They are very high quality!
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=253411
Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Hi all

things not to buy
etc.

Thanks for any help
For 2 guys a 10 x 12 is pretty cozy. I find a 12 x 14 is perfect for two guys and cozy for three. For sure want 5 foot walls. I've never used an internal frame but can see the appeal of it. Lots of little tips and tricks that make setting up fairly easy even for one guy using poles. The most time consuming part is cutting and trimming up all your poles. And its always frustrating coming in the following year or week or month to find out some morons have used your poles you carefully leaned up in a tree for firewood.

Make sure you put a good layer of sand/gravel in the bottom of your stove so you don't burn the bottom of it out. If you end up getting a stove without legs, set it up on a rock platform to prevent a mini-grass fire in your tent Also have a good fire in it first, outside of the tent to burn the oil out of the metal, before you use it in your tent. Nice to have the damper on the stove pipe well above the stove height. Also the stove pipe height should rise above the peak height of your tent. Lots of little things you will figure out along the way, I could go on and on. But nothing beats coming back to a wall tent in tough weather where you can get dry and be warm and comfortable thats for sure.

When you put the tent away for any length of time make sure it is bone dry or you will end up with a ruined rotten tent. Something to consider if you are looking at a used tent. Have a good look at it to make sure it has been stored properly and the canvas hasn't rotted.

There are 3 for sale under Misc on the buy and sell by the way.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
The canvas tent shop is worth looking at as well. I bought a wilderness series 14x16 a couple years ago. It's very good quality and I'm quite happy with it.
Any idea how the Wilderness compares to the Deluxe Wall tents? It does sound like the Wilderness has some nice features.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Any idea how the Wilderness compares to the Deluxe Wall tents? It does sound like the Wilderness has some nice features.
I've never seen a deluxe tent. I did a bunch of research before I bought and the wilderness series seemed to be the best fit for me.

I didn't like the idea of a side wall stove pipe exit on the deluxe tents. I've found the wilderness series to be very well built with extra reinforcing. I'm very happy with it.

I don't remember if the deluxe has openings for a ridge pole if you don't want to haul the frame?