Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2021, 04:07 PM

Default CWD Test Results Timeline

What is the average length of time for getting results for a head submission?

I am currently at 1.5 months. All the meat is off the bone and in my freezer waiting for the results before I process it any further.

What is everyone's stance on this? If I would have taken the deer to a butcher to pack for me, and my results come back positive months later, should I be informing the butcher shop? From what I have read and learnt about CWD, is that the Prion or "infected protein" is extremely hard to kill and a standard kitchen sanitizer does not do the trick. Therefore an infected deer that is sent to a butcher shop could contaminate the facility. If you are the unlucky guy that has your deer processed after a CWD positive deer is processed you will get some of the good stuff....

My point is that I think it is ridiculous that I have to wait over a month and a half for my results.

I have heard that some states that have high CWD rates, have drive up facilities that complete the testing on the spot and you know the results right then and there.

I think now that Alberta Environment is making mandatory head submission more wide spread, such as mandatory submission in WMU 312 this year, there must be a faster turnaround in results.

Am I crazy?
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidboys View Post
I think now that Alberta Environment is making mandatory head submission more wide spread, such as mandatory submission in WMU 312 this year, there must be a faster turnaround in results.

Am I crazy?
In order to expand the mandatory testing west they have dropped the requirement in the known high infection rate zones. I can only assume this was to keep the testing budget under control.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:56 AM

Default Same Boat

I am at the same time frame, about 6 weeks now, that I submitted my Mule Deer. I was thinking I was somehow missed in the process, I double checked that my email contact is correct on file, which it is.
Is there a way to contact them to find out if in fact we did fall through a crack?

Old 01-06-2021, 07:00 AM

I didn't get results till Feb. 13th last year.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:01 AM

Got my results back in about 10 working days ( a little over 2 weeks) positive unfortunately and we had eaten some of the meat before I even thought to maybe get it tested (zone that wasn't Id'd as one of the compulsory or optional zones)
I'll let you know if I start to wander around aimlessly in the forest and look confused...wait a minute, I think I may have had cwd for years now!
Old 01-06-2021, 09:42 AM

In 2018 mine took 3 months (head submitted December 2)
Last year 2 weeks (head submitted November 8)
Still waiting this year (head submitted November 13)
Old 01-06-2021, 01:33 PM

waiting on Mine as well. Submitted Dec 2. 212 Mule Buck so for sure hoping its negative.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:47 PM

im in the Calgary area and dropped it off at Cabelas the last day of the season and had it back in three weeks.
depends on where you are in the province im thinking
Old 01-06-2021, 05:00 PM

Put my head in the depot in Medicine Hat, Petro Canada Gas station.

Took about 5 week for my negative result.

Last year it was about the same.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
im in the Calgary area and dropped it off at Cabelas the last day of the season and had it back in three weeks.
Bingo. Just depends on when they pick the samples up. Last year (2019) we had ours in around November 8-10th and didn’t see results until end of February. But, that was last year...
Old 01-06-2021, 10:20 PM

We were just wondering about ours as well. 2 deer dropped off Nov 28th, cabelas Edmonton. No results yet.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Hmmm must have been at the top of the pile Same freezer, same time frame and still waiting on two does........ hopefully everybody get's their results soon as it would be nice to do some sausage making!
Old 01-07-2021, 08:57 AM

Dropped my W. T. in Vulcan and got neg results back in three weeks. Others deer dropped of at the same in the freezer at the same time haven't been tested nearly a mouth later... Very odd.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Hmmm must have been at the top of the pile Same freezer, same time frame and still waiting on two does........ hopefully everybody get's their results soon as it would be nice to do some sausage making!
I will say that the freezer was full but I can't explain why you have not got yours back. seems a little strange
Old 01-07-2021, 09:08 AM

Thank you for submitting the head of a Male Mule Deer for AEP's Chronic Wasting Disease surveillance program.

The Chronic Wasting Disease test results for the head submitted on or about 2020-12-02, CWD is: Negative (Target Tissue).

Received this December 11
Old 01-07-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
Got my results back in about 10 working days ( a little over 2 weeks) positive unfortunately and we had eaten some of the meat before I even thought to maybe get it tested (zone that wasn't Id'd as one of the compulsory or optional zones)
I'll let you know if I start to wander around aimlessly in the forest and look confused...wait a minute, I think I may have had cwd for years now!
Hi Dave,

Do you mind sharing which zone your deer tested positive? Always a little concerning when there are positives in areas that are not under the previous expected areas of CWD positives.

DR
Old 01-07-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thank you for submitting the head of a Male Mule Deer for AEP's Chronic Wasting Disease surveillance program.

The Chronic Wasting Disease test results for the head submitted on or about 2020-12-02, CWD is: Negative (Target Tissue).

Received this December 11
Man! I had dropped mine in same freezer as they were being picked up and am waiting on my results still. Lucky Guy
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Man! I had dropped mine in same freezer as they were being picked up and am waiting on my results still. Lucky Guy
Same here .. maybe they just dump the heads in a giant pile and deal them out as they see fit.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:35 PM

In 2008, I waited three months, this year less than six weeks.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dropped mine at the same freezer Dec 4, nothing yet. I removed and bagged the lymph nodes and brain stem because I wanted the skull. I was wondering if the delay was because I screwed it up but I hope not.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:12 AM

I dropped my head at the Cabelas in Calgary, still no results.

I just received an email from a Data Technician with Alberta Environment and they said the wait time for results is 6-8 weeks from when you dropped the head. and also to check the spam box in your email because it is an automatically generated email.

The government needs to implement a better and faster testing program or I think people will just simply not submit their heads for testing.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:22 PM

my buddy called the other day and was told Covid is keeping some employees home . Mine took 3 weeks . negative . Mid november submission
Old 01-08-2021, 01:40 PM

Sure does seem to slow down in November, dropped mine off in October and it was a week, maybe 10 days for results.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:33 PM

Dropped mine off Oct 28th at Cabelas Calgary, I was eating tenderloin a week later. Mule Buck.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 01-08-2021, 10:59 PM

Five and six weeks for my son and I. Both heads were dropped off at the same location on the same day.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:29 AM

I got results today from a sample I dropped off mid November at Edmonton north cabelas. Negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2021, 01:50 PM

Good news, finally got our results today. Dropped two doe heads off at Cabelas's on Dec 1st. Both negative, so time to start making smokies! Hopefully those still waiting get their results soon........
Old 02-10-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Good news, finally got our results today. Dropped two doe heads off at Cabelas's on Dec 1st. Both negative, so time to start making smokies! Hopefully those still waiting get their results soon........
Hopefully!
Old 02-10-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Hopefully!
Keep an eye on your SPAM email. My email went to my normal inbox, but my boys was went into his JUNK folder. It's a "noreply" email address so depending on what you're using it may go straight to Junk.........
Old 02-10-2021, 06:14 PM

Put my head in freezer in Camrose, on November 22. Whitetail buck from wmu 230, did not have to submit from this zone this year and still waiting for results.

Tags
cwd, cwd results