Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 PM
GRTWHT

Default Cougar Success

Thought I'd post some photo's for my brother in law of the cougar he got today. Great Story, this guy bought his cougar hounds as pups, trained them himself and has spent his fair share of time chasing cats. Good to see him get a nice one. Not sure how big he is yet, but he is a mature tom anyway. My brother in law is over 6 feet so use that as a comparison. Congrats!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:01 PM
moosefever

Awesome cat......It sure sounds like he earned it and more so that he trained the dogs himself, that alone makes it great. Send a big congrats to him !!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:27 PM
hillbily

it sure makes a great trophy when its all your own hard work that goes into it. thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Re: Cougar Success

Wow that's awesome dude!!! Man I wanna get a cat some day. The second picture is pretty cool for some reason. Good work dude.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:15 AM
RockyMountainMusic

nice cat congrats. Just out of curiosity what kind of hounds does he have?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 PM
lilsundance

Nice cat. A guy I started hunting with 2 years ago is rasing and training his own hounds. Great job. Congrats.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 PM
gunslinger

right on thats a great cat he got there,, congrats
Old 01-13-2007, 02:14 PM
aka bushmaster

Great lookin' cat !! Congrats to him !
Old 01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
RyanGSP

A nice cat forsure I as well want to shoot a nice tom on of these days.

What are the rules for shooting cougars? Are they like coyotes and wolves where you dont need a tag or do you?

What caliber do you shoot cougers with?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:07 PM
nube

awesome
Old 01-15-2007, 05:10 PM
jrs

Default Wow

Thats a nice cat, i think i missed this post the past few days. The background looks mighty familiar....... Congrats to the hunter.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Blakeinator2

Wow, i'm jealous. I'd be happy with any size as i'm going to try to get mine by calling. Guessing my odds for success will be fairly low.

Ryan, as far as i know they are not like wolves/coyotes...they are considered like big game. You have to buy a $50.00 tag, season is dec 1 to end of Feb and you have to call in everyday to make sure the season is still open for the sex your after in the area your after. And since they are big game then i am assuming that coyote calibers won't actually be legal either...so .243 or bigger or bow etc.??? Just talking outloud a little i'm sure if i've made errors they will be corrected quickly.

B
Old 01-16-2007, 03:36 AM
RockyMountainMusic

that pretty much sums it up blake. I dont like the caliber rule, i think it's in B.C and in a lot of the states there isn't a size limit on caliber. They use .22's to kill them (even the big 200lbs males)which helps keep pelt damage minimal. Although if i were calling them i would feel a little better with a larger caliber in hand but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Blakeinator2

Thanks for confirmation Rocky, i take the .270 when i call where the bigger critters are and the .204 when calling the coyotes around town. Still chance to run into the bigger ones around town anyhow, will just have to cross that bridge if i ever come to it.

B
Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
RockyMountainMusic

ya i shot my cougar last year with a .270, killed it just as dead but it went in just behind the front shoulder touched the backbone and came out the top. not the end of the world but it did leave as nice size hole in its back. I guess thats what a good taxidermist is for. the .204 would kill them just as dead as well but if he was charging its nice to have the stopping power.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 PM
101sonny

For sure congrates to a great looking Cougar looks like a hand full I am going to guess 160 - 180 lbs.How would one age a cat like that ????
Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
cdnr

Oh wow,
that's a nice cat you've got there.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:25 PM
smokestick

nice kiddy there guys- looks like a good one- always good when ones own dogs and equipment is used in any adventures - anyways congrats there
Old 01-28-2007, 05:39 PM
deadnutz

Sonny
When I got mine last year, I had to bring it in to F&W. They aged her at their Calgary office. Can't remember how, but I think through size and teeth.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Rubber Ducky

Default Re: Here Kitty, Kitty...

Hi Guys,

What are the odds of calling them in? I know that hounds are probably the best way of getting them but since I can't have dogs, it's calling or nothing. I have seen some cougar tracks when I've been out but haven't seen any cats in the flesh.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky