Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-02-2022, 01:51 PM

Hey everyone,

Thought it was time for some more knife pics. Here's a few more that I made over the last few years.

1. for my brother - CPM 154, 8 1/2" OAL, 3 3/4" blade, stabilized maple burl scales, African Blackwood bolster, stainless pins. This one has seen a number of deer.

2. for a friend's son, just completed. AO members are seeing it before he does. - CPM 154, 8 5/8" OAL, 4" blade, black & white ebony scales, brass bolster & pins.

3. is one of my personal knives...! My wife bought me a one-on-one day with blade-smith Ed Storch a few years ago. Amazing day, learned so much, and came away with a completed knife. The knife steel is ATS 34, 9 1/4" OAL, 3 3/4" blade (measured from the plunge line), Desert Ironwood scales, stainless bolster & pins. This one has seen quite a few deer and a moose.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:14 PM

Default Knife

Awesome work.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Awesome work.
Is it ever!
Old 02-02-2022, 03:11 PM

When I am attending a gun show and I bump into a few tables of homemade knives; I have to stand back in amazement as I stare at the quality of workmanship, time and skill that has gone into their piece(s)....

WinFwt you are no different....VERY NICE WORK.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 02-02-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:22 PM
Banned

Amazing
Old 02-03-2022, 10:39 AM

Real nice knives and i appreciate the leather sheaths over the junking Kydex sheath. Very nice work.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:45 AM

Yep...excellent work!

Thanx for sharing....
Old 02-03-2022, 10:59 AM

Win Fwt, are you selling knives?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
Hey everyone,

Thought it was time for some more knife pics. Here's a few more that I made over the last few years.

1. for my brother - CPM 154, 8 1/2" OAL, 3 3/4" blade, stabilized maple burl scales, African Blackwood bolster, stainless pins. This one has seen a number of deer.

2. for a friend's son, just completed. AO members are seeing it before he does. - CPM 154, 8 5/8" OAL, 4" blade, black & white ebony scales, brass bolster & pins.

3. is one of my personal knives...! My wife bought me a one-on-one day with blade-smith Ed Storch a few years ago. Amazing day, learned so much, and came away with a completed knife. The knife steel is ATS 34, 9 1/4" OAL, 3 3/4" blade (measured from the plunge line), Desert Ironwood scales, stainless bolster & pins. This one has seen quite a few deer and a moose.
Beautiful knives.
Love that sheath on the bottom one. Do you make those as well?
Old 02-03-2022, 09:19 PM

WinFwt nice knives. Cool that you did a 1 on 1 with Ed Storch, saw his work at a few gun shows, real nice.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
WinFwt nice knives. Cool that you did a 1 on 1 with Ed Storch, saw his work at a few gun shows, real nice.
I have also seen the work of people who have taken Ed's courses and i\\they are all fantastic!
I may be wrong, but I believe Ed Storch started out by taking lessons from Bill Schiller, who was an incrediblle knife smith and who used to go around Saskatchewan and Alberta giving lessons.
Cat
Old 02-04-2022, 05:36 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.

Trying to keep knife making as a hobby and not a business, so not taking orders at this time. However, if I build a knife with no name attached to it, then it could possibly show up here for sale.

History is that I started taking orders about 5 or 6 years back, unfortunately after a while it started to feel too much like a job and resembled my deadline driven career way too much. Took a break from knife making for about a year and am now just getting back into it. Unfortunately, I still have a backlog from that time period that I have to finish.

WV911
Yes, I make all my own sheaths. A lot of knife makers don't like to and will farm out that job, but I really enjoy leather work. A well crafted, snug fitting sheath compliments a knife and is critical in the functionality of the package.

More pics to come.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.

History is that I started taking orders about 5 or 6 years back, unfortunately after a while it started to feel too much like a job and resembled my deadline driven career way too much.

More pics to come.
This in spades....my dad was a hobby woodworker and would make beautiful wood cabinets, hope chests, etc.....after a while he went from making them as gifts to selling them, and about 3 years later realized that what had been his hobby and escape from the pressure of life had just become another stress in his life so he stopped. It was not until he retired and took it up as a part time business that he got back into it seriously.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:50 PM

Default Knives

Looking forward to more pics for sure.
Never had this kind of interest in knives before this thread started.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:31 PM

Careful Spurly, that interest can get real expensive pretty quick. Has a funny way of growing into a passion when you least expect it...! Ask me how I know...!

Have always had an interest in knives, got my 1st pocket knife (a Schrade) from my Dad at age 8, still have it. Then my first hunting knife at 14, a gift from Dad, it was a Russel #1. Being a young dumb arse, wore it everywhere until I lost it. That was 51 years ago. I'd give up most of my collection to have that one back.

The interest grew, collection started to grow, started making them and the collection grew even more. I won't say how many in case my wife ever reads this... but it includes knife makers from all over North America.

You've been warned...lol.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:29 PM

Here's some pics of a couple my knife sheaths.

Sheaths can be of a very simple pouch design with minimal tooling and look very clean but elegant, or they can be stepped up a few notches to include lots of tooling, inlays and lining to really add value to the knife package.

1. a basic pouch sheath with minimal tooling. Clean and effective.

2. this sheath is for a sub-hilt bowie I made for a friend and former co-worker. Front is 2 layers of 4 oz leather with a ray skin inlay, back is 8-9 oz leather.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:23 AM

Default Knife

Very nice work.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:06 AM

There hasn’t been much discussion on useful blade shape for a hunting knife. I’ve gone down a bit of a rabbit hole looking for ideal shape and size but find very little really good knives for this purpose. Is anyone else finding similar things?

Ross Seyfried wrote an article on blade shape years ago and I finally found it in my stack of magazines. Honestly the only really helpful article I’ve read on the subject.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-05-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There hasn’t been much discussion on useful blade shape for a hunting knife. I’ve gone down a bit of a rabbit hole looking for ideal shape and size but find very little really good knives for this purpose. Is anyone else finding similar things?

Ross Seyfried wrote an article on blade shape years ago and I finally found it in my stack of magazines. Honestly the only really helpful article I’ve read on the subject.
I agree. Knives have always been interesting to me and I have collected many over the years for all different purposes. Over the past 3 years though blade design handle shape/ configuration has become a very important aspect. Hand fatigue/ cramping....loss of grip makes using a knife for any duration a more daunting task. Ergonomics of blade and grip, bevel angles, all of these things have become much integral to the overall usefulness of a knife. One day I hope to be able to afford a custom knife made by a real craftsman designed specifically for my hand for ease of use.. until that day I have a few knives that tic some of the boxes. I find I like a different blade shape/ design for gutting deer than doing gutless for instance. I have not used one but from my experience those crotts designs look very much like a perfect blade shape for my liking for gutless style breakdown ( skinning and quatering) for gutting deer I prefer a slightly thinner style blade almost like a fillet knife but shorter and a bit more stiffness behind the edge.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:06 AM

If I could afford a custom knife or I guess I should say , If I were to going to order a knife It would almost certainly be a copy of this old girl. It is the right size ,the blade shape is near perfect in my mind the only thing I would change is the handle could be slightly wider [IMG]
Old 02-05-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
If I could afford a custom knife or I guess I should say , If I were to going to order a knife It would almost certainly be a copy of this old girl. It is the right size ,the blade shape is near perfect in my mind the only thing I would change is the handle could be slightly wider [IMG]

-Billy Molls
Old 02-05-2022, 09:19 AM

Default Knife

Those CROTTS knives are very nice, Is there a Canadian dealer, or do the come out of the US?
Old 02-05-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Those CROTTS knives are very nice, Is there a Canadian dealer, or do the come out of the US?
All out of the US

-Billy Molls
Old 02-05-2022, 09:24 AM

Default Knives

Thanks will have a look.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The Crotts still has a wider blade profile and the drop point isn’t as pronounced as the old timer. That might be an optical illusion because of the handle shape though .
Old 02-05-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
He makes them to order. It is a 3-5 month delivery. Just ordered one last month. All the talk by Chuck and Coiloil convinced me to try one. SNS2 started what turned out to be just a great thread, has cost a bunch of us a lot of money but still a great thread. Learned enough to make me want to try another custom. Good thing is I have sold off enough knives from my existing pile to way more than pay for the new Crotts.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:33 AM

Default Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
He makes them to order. It is a 3-5 month delivery. Just ordered one last month. All the talk by Chuck and Coiloil convinced me to try one. SNS2 started what turned out to be just a great thread, has cost a bunch of us a lot of money but still a great thread. Learned enough to make me want to try another custom. Good thing is I have sold off enough knives from my existing pile to way more than pay for the new Crotts.
Good info. Will look at their site.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Good info. Will look at their site.
He is best contacted on instagram

I’ve a couple on order myself.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-05-2022, 09:40 AM

Default Knife

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:46 AM

I don't have Facebook or Instagram so I used email. Response was very good, took no time at all to sort it out. The contact form on their website looks like it works but it really doesn't, as that is how I first tried to contact him.

crottsknives@gmail.com

Spurly - it would be well worth your time to read this thread from the top. There is a ton of great info provided by a couple of guys on Crotts and Dozier knives in here.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-05-2022 at 09:56 AM.