Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-21-2022, 10:39 AM

Default Educate me on diesel heaters please

Hi guys,
I am looking for diesel heaters for my hunting trips for my tent in bush and need to know your experiences with it. Where can I buy one and which ones are good? What should I look for when buying? Etc etc

Thanks
Old 02-21-2022, 12:12 PM

I've had a chinese diesel heater for almost 2 years now. it's running more often than it isn't in the winter. I use it to heat my shop. It's an all in one unit meaning it has a case with the little fuel tank inside. In the shop I have it plumbed to a 20 liter fuel can. Mine is a very simple unit. I had to program in to my altitude to keep in running clean. otherwise it would soot up and stop producing heat. I had the fan bearing go bad but it's a woodworking shop and the dust is brutal for that. At start up and shut down the unit uses the most power. This is when the glow plug/ignition plug is turned on. About 7 amps. When it's running on low it draws less than an amp. There are units out there than automatically set themselves to whatever altitude they are at. I'd join a facebook group for chinese diesel heaters and get in on a group buy. I ordered my simple unit from banggood.com
Old 02-21-2022, 07:39 PM

We run the Prospector from Deluxe Wall Tents absolutely love it.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:53 PM

Default Heater

As an alternative have a look at the NuWay propane heaters I have one and its been great. Externally vented so it produces a dry heat. Nice to be able to use 20 lb propane cylinders and not mess with diesel.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmer View Post
As an alternative have a look at the NuWay propane heaters I have one and its been great. Externally vented so it produces a dry heat. Nice to be able to use 20 lb propane cylinders and not mess with diesel.
What is the temp for propane to liquify? -20* to -30*. There is a reason almost no one runs propane house heating systems in Whitehorse and they all run heating fuel.

I think the diesel would be a better option and easier to re fill diesel than propane in the timbuck tellulies while out hunting.

I have been looking at the Prospector units as well.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:38 AM

You looking at a cheap Chinese one or the expensive German ones?

I bought this one and I’m currently trying to resolve some error codes. I made the most of running it on low too much and not noticing that the air intakes was getting frosted over made it get carboned up and then have a couple codes. I’m just waiting for more warm weather to tinker in the garage.

8KW 12V All-in-One Diesel Air... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08M9SM2VN?...p_mob_ap_share

I wish I had bought this one because it’s self contained and more portable.

Happybuy 8KW Diesel Air Heater Muffler Diesel Heater 12V 8000W Diesel Parking Heater Remote Control Remote Control with LCD Switch for Car Bus Trucks Motor-Home and Boats https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081DXVHD9/...DQWCNGB5RAF00J
Old 02-22-2022, 10:12 AM

Have you guys priced diesel in foothills towns lately. I recommend free $$ wood available everywhere you might hunt. Fire never goes out.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
You looking at a cheap Chinese one or the expensive German ones?

I bought this one and I’m currently trying to resolve some error codes. I made the most of running it on low too much and not noticing that the air intakes was getting frosted over made it get carboned up and then have a couple codes. I’m just waiting for more warm weather to tinker in the garage.

8KW 12V All-in-One Diesel Air... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08M9SM2VN?...p_mob_ap_share

I wish I had bought this one because it’s self contained and more portable.

Happybuy 8KW Diesel Air Heater Muffler Diesel Heater 12V 8000W Diesel Parking Heater Remote Control Remote Control with LCD Switch for Car Bus Trucks Motor-Home and Boats https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081DXVHD9/...DQWCNGB5RAF00J
I've been kicking around the idea of running a unit like this as a back up/ night time heater in the wall tent.

Basically on really cold nights you could fill up the wood stove and damp it down for the night but also have the diesel heater that would run through the night in case the wood stove didn't burn all night.

Would one of these things keep a tent warm in say -25*?

I guess I'm just getting old and soft. Waking up to a cold tent tent doesn't excite me anymore.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
I've been kicking around the idea of running a unit like this as a back up/ night time heater in the wall tent.

Basically on really cold nights you could fill up the wood stove and damp it down for the night but also have the diesel heater that would run through the night in case the wood stove didn't burn all night.

Would one of these things keep a tent warm in say -25*?

I guess I'm just getting old and soft. Waking up to a cold tent tent doesn't excite me anymore.
I think it would be enough to keep your tent warm, but hauling around deep cycle batteries seems like a lot more work than stoking the fire during the night.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:06 PM

They also make quite a bit of a racket - put one in my sled trailer.

Alba gu brath!
Old 02-22-2022, 12:31 PM

Both P 40 diesel and Propane gell at about -40.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:37 PM

have 2 one in my utility trailer and one in my 12X 20 cabin No problems in 2 years 8k model is over kill on high at - 20. Have a solar panel on both for batteries. Pipe insulation on vent hose fuel pump box in with sound proof insulation same as the unit itself. No more noise than home furnace.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:20 PM

I run a couple H-45 military tent multi fuel heater/stoves in my tents and they work great, you can run them with wood, Diesel, used oil or jet fuel (I’ve never tried jet fuel) you can pick the up new for under $300 in the states. They will burn 5 gallons of diesel a night if you crank it up though.

Jim..
Old 02-22-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
We run the Prospector from Deluxe Wall Tents absolutely love it.
Patiently waiting for a prospector to arrive. Apparently should be soon according to Deluxe. Went this direction as no power needed.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:21 AM

Never had problem getting through night with wood, always have hunting partner with weak bladder, he will stoke fire when he gets back into the tent.
However like idea of small propane heater to moderate heat towards morning or keep stuff from freezing if need to leave camp for day or two. (PS propane bottle just outside wall of tent will always keep from gelling from heat loss.)
Also if your propane liguifies time to go home!
Old 02-23-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Patiently waiting for a prospector to arrive. Apparently should be soon according to Deluxe. Went this direction as no power needed.
Make sure you follow the stove pipe instructions to a T if not won't get the right draft and will carbon up we learned that on a cold -20 night
Old 02-24-2022, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Make sure you follow the stove pipe instructions to a T if not won't get the right draft and will carbon up we learned that on a cold -20 night
Thanks will do so.

I lied by mistake though the one I ordered is the middle sized expedition not the prospector. How big of a space do you heat with your heater?
Old 02-24-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Thanks will do so.

I lied by mistake though the one I ordered is the middle sized expedition not the prospector. How big of a space do you heat with your heater?
It's heating a 14x16 tent and we run a fan behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0770 (2).jpg (35.4 KB, 205 views)
Old 02-24-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
It's heating a 14x16 tent and we run a fan behind it.
Do you ever have any issues with diesel smell in the tent? As much as i love a wood stove the convenience of one of those has me interested.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
What is the temp for propane to liquify? -20* to -30*. There is a reason almost no one runs propane house heating systems in Whitehorse and they all run heating fuel.

I think the diesel would be a better option and easier to re fill diesel than propane in the timbuck tellulies while out hunting.

I have been looking at the Prospector units as well.
Propane liquifies at -42C. Here in Yellowknife a lot of the homes (mine included) run on propane. When it does drop below -42 to -44 for a time you need some heat on the tank or have it insulated. Running off a 20lb tank you’re going to have problems above that temp but I’ve run a BBQ here a lot off a 20lb tank at -35 or slightly colder. Once you get to about 20% or less in the tank is when you start having problems then. Just my experience up here over the last number of years.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:31 PM

I just finished installing a 8kw Amazon cheapo unit in my jet boat.

I am impressed by how well it puts out heat.

No idea about longevity though.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Do you ever have any issues with diesel smell in the tent? As much as i love a wood stove the convenience of one of those has me interested.
There maybe a little when you first start it because you need to pour a little in the bottom to get it going but nothing once up and running.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:29 AM

At our moose camp We have been using the Prospector stove in our 16x20 Deluxe Wall Tent for about 10 years now…Love It !! Works great. Nice to have consistent heat. 2 times we had to shut it totally off as the weather really warmed up and only one time we turned up the temp to the second setting on a trip
Old 03-04-2022, 05:37 PM

Been using homemade diesel heater for 15yrs first in wall tent then last 8yrs in my cabin Love it no smell, heat in 30sec ,no wood mess, Will buy Prospector when this one burns out.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
At our moose camp We have been using the Prospector stove in our 16x20 Deluxe Wall Tent for about 10 years now…Love It !! Works great. Nice to have consistent heat. 2 times we had to shut it totally off as the weather really warmed up and only one time we turned up the temp to the second setting on a trip
Hi there

I just got the one of these diesel heaters. Trying to figure out my setup and I am feeling like I should talk to someone with experience lest I waste time and money reinventing the wheel.

Please direct message me so maybe I can give you a call.

Alternatively, here are my current questions.

1) I have the fuel line kit that connects to a Jerry can. Do I have that yellow nozzle in the spout when I connect the hose? So that it sucks fuel from the bottom of the can? Seems weird to me.

2) It calls for the fuel line to be clear of air. How is this achieved? Just by burning the priming fire in the stove?

3) Do you use or recommend a draft gauge for the setup?

4) is the height of the chimney of critical importance? Do you need to adjust the height to optimize the combustion for every new context?

5) I have a chimney that exits through the side wall. How do you secure it so that it doesn't fall over in the wind? Guy lines to the top are sufficient?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 02-21-2023, 03:35 PM

Default Amperage

Just purchased a 12v diesel heater and it requires 10-12amps to start up. If I use a low amperage electrical adapter that is rated max 16.5amps will it damage the diesel heater?
Old 02-21-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly550 View Post
Just purchased a 12v diesel heater and it requires 10-12amps to start up. If I use a low amperage electrical adapter that is rated max 16.5amps will it damage the diesel heater?
Not at all.
Your unit will only pull through it what it requires.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:08 PM

I have 2 8kw chinese heaters in my ice shacks. Yes i know they dont make 8kw heaters. One in a 4x10 shack with two slide outs in it and use one for ice camping in my pop up ice shack both work great almost two much heat at times on low. I get free deisel at work so costs nothing to run i run solar panel to charge battery and never had died battery ever and i stay days on the ice at a time
Old 04-25-2023, 09:10 PM

I bought the Nordic drip diesel stove it requires no power to operate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3121.jpg (36.4 KB, 49 views)