Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-24-2022, 12:20 AM
Banned

Default Black powder muzzle loading season

I've heard that the province might bring in a black powder season for select Big game zones. I'm thinking that this is probably a rumor. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Old 05-24-2022, 10:48 AM

This is always tossed around when some welfare ranchers get to complaining about crop depredation, but won’t allow hunting because of that one cow that was shot from 15 miles away in 1984 (apparently in 9 different counties because you will hear of it everywhere).

It’s not popular in the places we have it already:
-hunters don’t want to pay more for a less effective gun
-it’s still a gun so the greenie acreage commies won’t be happy
-the same people that don’t allow access now, aren’t gonna change their minds because someone is carrying a muzzleloader

Of course in a province that thinks there is only 700 grizzly bears, and you can build roads over grayling streams but anglers are what’s killing them, I won’t be surprised to see more stupidity.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I've heard that the province might bring in a black powder season for select Big game zones. I'm thinking that this is probably a rumor. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
I never heard anything but it could cause a sudden surge in BP sales in Ab. The LGS in Morinville has stocked some inline accessories but nothing for the trad shooter. I still carry my flinters/sidelocks during rifle anyways.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:13 PM

There already is a muzzle loader/shotgun zone, season and tags for the zone around Edmonton and Calgary. As for opening up other areas to a muzzleloader season, as much as I would love that (I enjoy hunting and shooting my muzzleloaders) I don’t see it happening.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:40 PM

If implementing a muzzle loading season takes some pressure of our regular firearms season, I am all for it. Further to that, I would welcome the opportunity to hunt in a less competitive environment. Sure there is an archery season for that but not everyone can handle a bow and crossbows are impractical and downright dangerous to still hunt or stalk with in heavy cover.

If this so called rumour has some basis, I am not sure when it would implemented, but tacking on a one to two week muzzleloader season after the general and archery seasons end would not be taking any hunting opportunities away from anyone else.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:50 PM

I haven't heard anything about this but I'd be onboard for some extra hunting opportunities using my muzzy.

The only way i could see it happening is for it to be used for certain zones to reduce/cull numbers(like some Eastern WMU's did years ago) or having late season hunts after rifle seasons are done.

Any new muzzy seasons proposed during current archery seasons will be strongly opposed by the Alberta Bowhunters Association(ABA) like they have in the past IMO....
Old 05-24-2022, 01:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hope it happens!
Like the October walks, morning and evening sits with the old Hawkins when we were living in Saskatchewan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-24-2022, 01:33 PM

I own an online muzzleloader and hunt with it in general season at times. My opinion is the modern inlines might as well be a single shot rifle. Because of this I don’t see the success rate compared to a rifle being significant enough to add much of an opportunity if inline muzzleloaders were part of a muzzleloader season. If it was primitive muzzleloaders I could see potential in it working

This is my opinion and I own/hunt with an inline but don’t own any primitive muzzleloaders. I am looking at this from a conservation stand point not personal gain

It would be fun no doubt