Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Arrow View Post
To not have to sharpen a knife in the field, are your knife blades high quality steel or does the Gatco kit just do that good of a job?
Good steel, cpm 154, 154cm and ats-34, all hold their edge well enough to skin/dress an elk or a moose, or multiple deer.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:06 AM

If starting with a whole new kit, it is worthwhile to look at KME. I have had one for many years and it works flawlessly.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am super impressed with this. bought one for each of my boys as they don't know how to sharpen. This is fool proof and has diamond stones. Cabelas has had them on for 60 bucks numerous times.

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ife-sharpener/
I have used the Lansky system for years, and still do.

However, I bought this Worksharp last year and love it! I strop my blades on the last step.

Trick to keep your knife blade sharp "longer", avoid cutting hair from the outside. Dirt, mud, etc will do a number on your edge...
Old 07-19-2022, 09:27 AM

I posted this a couple of days ago but I don't see it on the thread. I own a lot of different sharpening tools and methods. I use them all at various times. For the average guy, sharpening a good knife, I agree with Elk and a few others. Bought a Diamond Lansky about 30 years ago to add to the collection, still have it. The Diamond Gatco is a similar system but much improved. No floppy rods, wider stones and good materials. Big advantage to these two is you can throw them in your duffel and take them hunting. Even if you don't need it, your hunting buddies most likely will. Quick to set up, easy to learn and use. Will give you hair cutting sharp. Add a hard Black Arkansas and a strop for hair popping sharp.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:31 AM

https://www.razoredgesystems.com/
Order their book then buy what ever stones you like.
I've been using their stones for years.
I've used oil stones and water stones and work sharp but haven't found anything that works better and is as simple as a course stone at a shallow angle and a fine stone at a slightly increased angle.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:50 AM

I have 3 different sharpening set ups plus various stones and steels. The wicked edge is my go to for hunting knives. Followed by stropping. It’s pricey, but quick.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:28 AM

Between me and my Dad we have used many different sharpeners I needed something quick in the field so I bought a accu-sharp. It is my go to sharpener now All the other sharpeners are put away for good.
Many other companies try to copy it but do not work. Accu sharp has the right ange and the right material. I use it on my hunting knifes , axes , ice auger and my home butch knifes. Best sharpener out there
Accu- Sharp
Old 07-19-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Between me and my Dad we have used many different sharpeners I needed something quick in the field so I bought a accu-sharp. It is my go to sharpener now All the other sharpeners are put away for good.
Many other companies try to copy it but do not work. Accu sharp has the right ange and the right material. I use it on my hunting knifes , axes , ice auger and my home butch knifes. Best sharpener out there
Accu- Sharp
I have one of those. While they are fast I find they shave off so much steel id never use then on a good knife. For My various victorinox meat cutters though its fantastic although i do find the edge gets awful chippy as it puts a really thin edge on those thinner steels
Old 07-19-2022, 11:47 AM

Pull through sharpeners should be illegal. Yikes!
Old 07-19-2022, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Pull through sharpeners should be illegal. Yikes!
I would never pull one of my expensive knives through one of those sharpeners! Never!
Old 07-19-2022, 12:20 PM

Like mentioned on a previous sharpening thread - I have bought more sharpening systems I care to admit and tried them all - Lanksy, Diamond edge, ect...

For my utility knifes, camp and pocket knife, fillet knife, working knives - the Ken Onion Work Sharp belt is quick, easy and effective. Get a razor sharp edge for me. Fast, easy, sharp. This is 95% of my sharpening. Trick there is to go through the progressive belts and get a good bite (burr) on first two belts. The third is really just a burr removal and polish. I can do a half dozen knives in well under an hour (all three steps).

If the knives are pretty sharp and and in good condition - you can skip the first coarse belt and go to "belt 2" (the moderate grit).

For kitchen knives, and other fine blades, I have a set of very nice Japanese wet stones. 3" wide and 11" long in 6 grits. It's lots of work, but I can get a razor sharp edge that looks clean and shiny without so much as a mark or scratch. But it's some work and patience. This could be an hour a knife, assuming they are in reasonably good condition.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:20 PM

Default Wicked Edge

If money was not a problem for folks looking for a great knife sharpening system I think the Wicked Wdge would be a great choice. Allows for various angles and is repeatable and consistent.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I use the wicked edge system and quite like it.

Just checked prices on these systems...Yikes!...
Old 07-19-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Just checked prices on these systems...Yikes!...
Good rig but the price makes them a choice for folks with deep pockets. The Gatco will give you multiple angles, accurate sharpening and a razor edge just like this one will. Just takes a bit longer with the gatco because you sharpen it one side at a time.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:44 PM

I bought mine long ago. There is no way I’d be buying one now. Doing it now I’d look real hard at the KME.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:23 PM

What about sharpening broadheads? I have been using the work sharp with good results. Is there something better?
Old 07-19-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
What about sharpening broadheads? I have been using the work sharp with good results. Is there something better?
Things like replaceable Piranta blades, scalpels, straight razors, broadheads and other fine edges I do on a hard black Arkansas and a leather strop. You will never get a sharper broadband than that will give u.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Things like replaceable Piranta blades, scalpels, straight razors, broadheads and other fine edges I do on a hard black Arkansas and a leather strop. You will never get a sharper broadband than that will give u.
Could you share photos of these tools? How do you test for sharpness? I am a remarkably hairless person only hair to be shaved is on my legs. They get pretty sexy in the fall.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Could you share photos of these tools? How do you test for sharpness? I am a remarkably hairless person only hair to be shaved is on my legs. They get pretty sexy in the fall.
I will post pictures when I can. As far as testing sharpness, slice straight down a thin piece of paper. No angle and no pushing or pulling back and forth. A truly sharp edge will cut straight down with almost no force.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/H...n-Box-P82.aspx
Old 07-19-2022, 08:04 PM

Not much love for just a plain DMT stone haha
Old 07-20-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Not much love for just a plain DMT stone haha
See post #1
Old 07-20-2022, 05:05 PM

Wow! so much out there! But nice to see a voice out there that might steer you in the right direction! Thanks so much!
Old 07-20-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Wow! so much out there! But nice to see a voice out there that might steer you in the right direction! Thanks so much!
Some super smart dudes on this thread. Might tell you that there are a number of systems that do a great job.

For me, it is giving me food for thought.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:43 PM

Well you go to a store, and they just know about what they see On-line! Here you get the real deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Some super smart dudes on this thread. Might tell you that there are a number of systems that do a great job.

For me, it is giving me food for thought.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:48 PM

As Dean Quoted! That they have improved the Gatco system, may have to look at that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I posted this a couple of days ago but I don't see it on the thread. I own a lot of different sharpening tools and methods. I use them all at various times. For the average guy, sharpening a good knife, I agree with Elk and a few others. Bought a Diamond Lansky about 30 years ago to add to the collection, still have it. The Diamond Gatco is a similar system but much improved. No floppy rods, wider stones and good materials. Big advantage to these two is you can throw them in your duffel and take them hunting. Even if you don't need it, your hunting buddies most likely will. Quick to set up, easy to learn and use. Will give you hair cutting sharp. Add a hard Black Arkansas and a strop for hair popping sharp.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:07 PM

I keep one of these in my pack. Its really simple and quick, and actually does a really good job. My knives were the only ones in our group that were able to cut the neck hide on my bull elk last season. If you get it on sale for under $10, you can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2022, 09:12 AM
AO Sponsor

I don't get into bickering with people about sharpening anymore because really, there is no "best". Everyone has their preferred methods. I always tell people who ask that whatever they do and whatever system they decide to go with, take the time to learn how to use it properly and stick with it as your skills will only improve with practice and time. Jumping around from system to system trying to get "just a bit better" will always lead to doing it worse as you never learn anything inside and out that way.

For knives, personally I generally use a Lansky "type" system to set a bevel at the desired angle and sharpen the initial time, and then use diamond plates or water stones after to quickly tune up an edge and finish on leather. I only go back to the system sharpeners when I need to re-establish a proper bevel.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-21-2022, 08:12 PM

Good points all around. IMO. The biggest complaint I have about a number of the systems mentioned, the damn blade clamp doesn’t hold solid on certain blade styles. If the blade can be moved laterally after its clamped, it takes a lot of patience and time to get a good edge. If you have the time and patience, no problem.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:16 AM

Work sharp electric for knives I don’t care about. Work sharp precision adjust for the customs
Old 07-27-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I use the Worksharp Ken Onion belt.

I have zero problems getting it shaving sharp and the edges last pretty good. But like SNS2 said, if it’s an expensive knife and you care about it’s looks it’s not for you.

I have a Ken Onion version of the Work Sharp and love it. I have and use expensive Benchmades and a Fallkniven so to avoid the scoring from the guide i just put a strip of electrical tape on the knife. I have become a very big fan of the convex edge the work sharp puts on, similar to a waterstone would. This particular rabbit hole gets very deep and expensive, i went from being very content with a standard buck knife and pull through sharpener to dropping some pretty serious cash on some higher end knives with some serious rockwell. Next on the list is to find a Bark River Aurora or kalahari hunter....