Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 08:37 PM

Anyone have any experience or input with the tormek sharpening systems?
Old 10-03-2022, 05:26 PM

This guy seems to have some success sharpening a knife.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bo91F20

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-03-2022, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
This guy seems to have some success sharpening a knife.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bo91F20
Your Not Kidding Dam my wife wishes the kitchen knifes were that sharp
Old 10-04-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I see the knife sharpener that sns2 got is on sale at Cabalas again for $65.00
still on sale, also grabbed one
Old 10-06-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
still on sale, also grabbed one
They are great to use! All I can say is Wow!
Old 10-06-2022, 04:41 PM

Also have a Strop coming!
Old 10-08-2022, 09:17 PM

Ok now I have a knife sharpening question... I have a Buck edgetek flip stick diamond sharpener that I use on my knifes and I can get a really nice usable edge on my knives however once I try and do the same things on my Whetstones I can not get a good edge on my knives at all. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?
Old 10-08-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
Ok now I have a knife sharpening question... I have a Buck edgetek flip stick diamond sharpener that I use on my knifes and I can get a really nice usable edge on my knives however once I try and do the same things on my Whetstones I can not get a good edge on my knives at all. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?
First question is what knife steel? An are you making certain to keep a consistent angle and work a burr on the whole edge then repeat on the opposite edge?. Its possible your diamond is cutting the steel faster thus getting a decent edge but your not going far enough on each side with the whetstone.....just a thought
Old 10-08-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
First question is what knife steel? An are you making certain to keep a consistent angle and work a burr on the whole edge then repeat on the opposite edge?. Its possible your diamond is cutting the steel faster thus getting a decent edge but your not going far enough on each side with the whetstone.....just a thought
The majority of the knives that I have been sharpening are run of the mill made in USA Buck knives so if I am not mistaken it is 420HC. I really never thought of that because i seem to get the results decently quick on the diamond rod but maybe I am not working up until an apex when i am using the whetstones and need to spend some more time working the knife on the stones.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:56 PM

Default How to properly use a steel.

https://youtu.be/oIz8QNVb4P8
The above video shows how to properly use a steel to keep you knife sharp.
You must try to cut a thin sliver off your steel. It works very well and is fast, a few swipes, and start cutting again. I originally saw the galloping gourmet demonstrating this over 50 yrs ago, and have used it ever since. I have now switched from a steel to one of ceramic.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:15 PM

Recently discovered a new sharpener called the "Toohr #3" that may appeal to some and could be a viable option for those looking for a cheaper sharpener but don't want the Worksharp Precision Adjust. Comes from AliExpress with a decently cheap price but quality that far exceeds what you think you would get. Made from steel and aluminum with a few bronze (bushings) and plastic (handle, bearing end caps) parts. Normal price is ~$130 Canadian with another $98 or so shipping (via Fedex express). I got a new user discount that brought the price down to $98 but the normal price was $6 higher than it is currently so it may be even less.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33016335854.html

There a few bad things with the sharpener:
It requires some work to be great. Needs to be taken apart, cleaned, properly lubed, a stop collar adjusted, make sure a certain bearing is in the proper place, screws tightened up, and so on but it should take less than an hour if you go slowly. The hardest part will be finding a 1/4" drive 8mm socket for a single lock nut. At the end you will get an incredibly smooth sharpener.

The stones that it comes with are junk so you will have to invest in some 6" "Edge Pro" format stones if you don't have some. For aluminum oxide or diamond plates you are looking at another $100-$125 for a 5 stone set.

The clamps are not good with small knives. You need at least 1 cm of blade sticking out to get below 20° or you will start hitting the clamps. It seems mainly designed for larger knives. You can use clamps from other systems either directly or with a 3D printed adapter to solve that problem. There is even one person that has a 3D printed magnetic flat table in the works.

Here is an album of what I did with mine with some pictures. https://imgur.com/a/Z0MVCfM There are bearings everywhere, a split bushing for the threaded rod to account for wear and backlash, a linear bearing for the sharpening rod.

The upright part of the sharpener can move left and right. Not needed to keep the angle right as some think, but handy for things like sharpening serrated knives where you need to keep the abrasive lined up with the teeth, sharpening something with a shoulder where you can line up with it, getting around pesky thumb studs to reach the heel of the blade, sharpening really long items, etc.

I sharpened several knives and was thoroughly impressed with how smooth it was and how well it performed. Angle adjustment was easy with 0 backlash, clamp rotation was smooth and the force adjustment screw was perfectly fine. For comparison, my other sharpener is a Tsprof Blitz Pro and I used to have their bigger K02 unit as well, both of which currently cost 6-10 times as much (tariffs) or more than the Toohr. The Tsprofs have better finishing, might look better depending on preference, they have more clamps and accessories* but performance wise, the Toohr is right up there with them. Both the Tsprof units have metal bushings for the sharpening rod which is actually louder and rougher than the LM8UU linear bearing on the Toohr.

*You can use the Tsprof K03/Kadet clamps and accessories on the Toohr without any adapters. Hapstone clamps can be used with a Gear Connect adapter from Gritomatic. That solves the biggest flaw (IMO) with the system.

Video in Russian, if you turn on captions then click the gear wheel and select translate to English it gets most of the point across. This guy was the first person that made videos on the system and reviewed it. The sharpener is on blocks because the clamp bar will hit the table when it rotates. One of the earlier mentioned 3D printed upgrades is a riser block that installs on the frame of the rotating unit to lift it up so you don't need blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVXxUcCZOD8

The person that is making the 3D printed upgrades is sending me some of them so I can test them and can update this thread later on if anyone is interested. I also ordered some Hapstone clamps and adapter to try.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:07 AM

Default KME Sharpening System

Just pulled the trigger on a KME Sharpening system with diamond stones and base. $330 regular on Aamzon, but they had a $50 G.C. offer they apply if you get their no fee Amazon Mastercard, which I did. $280 delivered. Good deal in my books.

https://www.amazon.ca/KME-Precision-.../dp/B010ESF0AW

If anyone wants to give the Worksharp Precision Adjust a whirl, I will sell my lightly used one in the box for $40.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:06 PM

I went down the rabbit hole for sharpening many years ago... Have the fancy Edge Pro Professional... I use it for larger chef / home kitchen knives but it's not practical most times away from home... I have many other units of differing styles too... But I've come to rely on 3 different items that are very affordable and 2 of them are handy to carry while hunting..

1) When blade is slightly damaged in the field, I can fix it up fairly quickly with this diamond/ceramic stone. Works magic now that I know how to use it...

https://www.bushcraftcanada.com/prod...fm?product=166

2) if blade just lost edge without damage, I use one similar to this...

https://www.sharpensbest.com/product...lack-sharpener

You're NOT removing metal, just merely GENTLY steeling the edge sharp again via carbide... It looks Mickey Mouse, but it works... Buddy bought one for me from Canadian Tire.. Sat on my bench for years, now, it goes everywhere...

Check out some videos of this fellow using his carbide coin sized pocket sharpener... same concept... (I avoid the "v" sharpener portion.. too easy to tear off steel).. (use "v" sharpener GENTLY)

https://www.sharpensbest.com/videos

(Sharpens Havalon replaceables in moments )

3) I only use this at home as it's too big for my hunting bag... Use it when I'm at home in the LazyBoy... (with a little added stropping compound applied)... Refines the edge even more from #1 and #2 above....

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...p?item=05M0811

Wishing I'd not spent so much on other units which do the same thing but at a much higher cost... The units above get me sharp in the field within minutes...
Old 12-05-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just pulled the trigger on a KME Sharpening system with diamond stones and base. $330 regular on Aamzon, but they had a $50 G.C. offer they apply if you get their no fee Amazon Mastercard, which I did. $280 delivered. Good deal in my books.

If anyone wants to give the Worksharp Precision Adjust a whirl, I will sell my lightly used one in the box for $40.
That looks like a great system there my friend.

I recently got the Worksharp extra stone system ( 200 to 800 ) along with the other ones, and a leather strop. Love it!

Accommodates what I already have...
Old 12-05-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

I recently got the Worksharp extra stone system ( 200 to 800 ) along with the other ones, and a leather strop. Love it!

Is this extra stone system for the precision adjust unit? If so, where did you find them?

thanks
Old 12-05-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

I am prone to falling down rabbit holes. That Worksharp Precision Adjust is a dandy little unit, and offers really great value. Coupled with my strop, I have learned to get knives screaming sharp. I just want to try something different.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Is this extra stone system for the precision adjust unit? If so, where did you find them?

thanks

here you go…. https://www.amazon.ca/Upgrade-Precis...09FXD3ZCF?th=1
Old 12-05-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Work sharp still for sale?
Old 12-05-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
thanks
Old 12-06-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post

thanks
sns2 beat me to it. Yep that is the one. Extra stones really improves the system.

Got it through Amazon. Believe the seller is House of Knives in Ontario...
Old 12-06-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Work sharp still for sale?
Sorry, sold.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:44 PM

I use Naniwa water stones at home and a 400 grit diamond for touch ups in the bush. I have found that honing regularly doing the finger nail test works. If you really want to learn the craft take a class at Knifewear they have locations in both Calgary and Edmonton.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:44 AM

I have dealt with this business numerous times and they are great.

They have this neat sharpener available. I believe that the blade holder is better than the Worksharp Adjust system (which I presently use). Having said that, if you use it as you are supposed to (very light pressure on the blade while sharpening), the Worksharp Adjust still a very good system.

Anyway, thought I would share another option for all to contemplate...

https://maritimeknifesupply.ca/produ...arpener-system
Old 12-16-2022, 10:05 PM

Put a mirror polished edge on the Bugout tonight.
The system consisted of 600 grit Shapton, 1000/6000 grit Naniwa, 3 micron strop and 1 micron strop.
Just chillin watching a flick while sharpening. Took me most of the movie to finish but I wasnt exactly going for speed.
12000 grit Naniwa was way overkill for this task.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2022, 07:16 AM

Good work. Today my KME arrives!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:

What the heck! U convinced me to to buy the worksharp now you jumped ship
Guess I'll wait for the new review...
Old 12-17-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
What the heck! U convinced me to to buy the worksharp now you jumped ship
Guess I'll wait for the new review...
Nope. Just fallen down a rabbit hole. A guy literally just PM’d me about them and here was my response…

Hey there Bryan. Sorry. A guy bought it immediately after my post. I have fallen down this rabbit hole and a trying a more expensive unit, the KME. I am just experimenting with stuff, but no sht, the Worksharp is a real good unit, if you take the time to watch a few videos and learn how to use it correctly, you will get your knives sharper than you ever imagined. Cabelas regularly puts them on sale for $65, and I consider that one of the best values in outdoor kit I know of. Totally worth it. All the best. Shane.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:04 AM

Did one run of my knives with my worksharp precision. Still getting the feel for it. Initial thoughts are that I didn't get the results I was hoping for. I think part of that is I changed the angle from my last sharpener and probably have to put some more elbow grease into the process of getting the new bevel. I did the felt marker thing to determine the angle and tried to duplicate but may have been off a bit. Felt I had a burr on most of them but after the process I wasn't happy with the paper cutting test..
-40 coming my way soon so might have time to work on it..
Old 12-17-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Did one run of my knives with my worksharp precision. Still getting the feel for it. Initial thoughts are that I didn't get the results I was hoping for. I think part of that is I changed the angle from my last sharpener and probably have to put some more elbow grease into the process of getting the new bevel. I did the felt marker thing to determine the angle and tried to duplicate but may have been off a bit. Felt I had a burr on most of them but after the process I wasn't happy with the paper cutting test..
-40 coming my way soon so might have time to work on it..
Watch the worksharp videos. Do what they do. Do not flip until you get a burr the length of the whole blade. Do not use pressure at all. Let the diamond stones do the work. Take your time. Relax while you are sharpening with a beverage. It’s foolproof.

Once you pass the initial learning curve, you will create scary sharp knives.

If I can do it anyone can.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Watch the worksharp videos. Do what they do. Do not flip until you get a burr the length of the whole blade. Do not use pressure at all. Let the diamond stones do the work. Take your time. Relax while you are sharpening with a beverage. It’s foolproof.

Once you pass the initial learning curve, you will create scary sharp knives.

If I can do it anyone can.
Have you changed the angle/bevel on any of your knives using it? If so did you find it a lengthy process? GUess it would depend on what steel your working with as well..