Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 11:11 AM

Default Knife Sharpening Talk

It was suggested by a member that a thread on knife sharpening would be useful. I agree. One of the reasons I have never spent any money on knives is because I have done such a pizz poor job of sharpening. I mean, I am bad at using a stone. Horribly bad. Ironic, as I teach cooking for a living. Truth be told, most schools send their decent knives out at the end of the year for sharpening or use an electric. For the last dozen years I have used a Worksharp belt jobbie. It can give you a pretty darned decent edge when you get the hang of it, but I would not use it on a knife I paid good coin for as it’s gonna leave its footprints if you know what I mean. Last year, I got a Chef’s Choice electric that gets kitchen knives even sharper than the Worksharp does for me, but it too leaves footprints you’d never want on a quality knife.

So, as I wait for my first custom to arrive, I’ve been figuring out what I’m gonna sharpen it with. Leaning towards DMT Diamond Stones and DMT Knife Guide (see in link), as that is what Crotts himself recommends.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=70M1101

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=70M0420

I’d love to hear what works for you guys who are sharpening modern steels.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, as this is how one learns, and like the hunting knife thread, has the potential to be very informative for many people.

PS: Even if you suck at sharpening like me, but also want to learn how to improve, chime in and say so, that way guys who know their stuff may take the time to share the methods that work for them.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:16 AM

Great post and I agree, I am like you when it comes to sharpening. During hunting, if I am dressing a deer, I just use the gizmo with the carbon V-shape to give me a better edge but that's it. And I don't own a custom knife either. I would appreciate learning how to put a proper edge on a knife.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:27 AM

I use a Gatco diamond kit, it allows me to sharpen blades shaving sharp, with very little effort. I never need to sharpen blades in the field.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:34 AM

I bought a DMT fine diamond stone, started practicing on cheap knives to get a feel for it and then used it on my nice butchers knives like making rouladen and I seem to have done not bad at all
Old 07-18-2022, 11:35 AM

I use water stones or diamond plates and free hand but i also have the lansky w stones and the dmt w guide which i use often for setting perfect edge geometry. I have a few strops as well. I enjoy learning new techniques so i have and use multiple. I never use a belt style on anything other than junk yard tools and scissors.
Over the years though as i have been getting better and harder steels diamond have been my go too.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:01 PM

I am super impressed with this. bought one for each of my boys as they don't know how to sharpen. This is fool proof and has diamond stones. Cabelas has had them on for 60 bucks numerous times.

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ife-sharpener/

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-18-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use a Gatco diamond kit, it allows me to sharpen blades shaving sharp, with very little effort. I never need to sharpen blades in the field.
To not have to sharpen a knife in the field, are your knife blades high quality steel or does the Gatco kit just do that good of a job?
Old 07-18-2022, 01:48 PM

I also often struggle with knife shrpening. I have tried the Worksharp belt system.. It does a half decent job to get an edge. But i wouldnt ever shave with that edge. Honestly, the Lansky Croc Sticks have been my go to. You can a pretty good edge, even to the point where it will shave some hair off the arm. I use them in the field and at home for the cheaper kitchen knives. Nice little box stores the rods, easy to pack in the hunting gear. I would definitely recommend.

Now i do have a question. Smiths vs Lansky. Anybody ever compared the two? I know both have the electric belt style sharpeners, as well as the classic pull through styles etc.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:21 PM

I use the lansky system and have honestly not had to touch up blades in the field for more than 10 years. This includes a trip where we took 2 bison.

Spend some time learning the process and it is quite therapeutic to do the sharpening. The only thing I had troubles with is on a flimsy blade I have nicked my finger the way I hold the stones. I have learnt to slow down and not be distracted and it’s all better now.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:30 PM

I used to be a bit of a sharpening junkie. Lansky, diamond stones, Arkansas stones etc. I’ve stopped at. Combo water stone and it serves me well for the kitchen. I stone about every 2 months and use the steel in between. Once the steel won’t “cut it” anymore I k ow it’s time for the stone.

Stone it until there’s a burr the full length of the blade, do the same on the other side then do the same on the finishing stone. That’s it. There’s no need to go back and forth from one side to the other. Once the burr is formed you know you’re done and it’s time to do the other side. After it’s been sharpened on the stone I don’t need the steel for a week at least. I do really look after my knives edges though, it’s rare to knock off the edge simply cutting, it takes stupidity to accomplish that. Keep knives in a sleeve or a block etc. and they’ll last well.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:53 PM

I use the Worksharp Ken Onion belt.

I have zero problems getting it shaving sharp and the edges last pretty good. But like SNS2 said, if it’s an expensive knife and you care about it’s looks it’s not for you.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am super impressed with this. bought one for each of my boys as they don't know how to sharpen. This is fool proof and has diamond stones. Cabelas has had them on for 60 bucks numerous times.

I think for the money this is the winner.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:48 PM
Banned

Smooth file works well.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Yup cant argue with that for the price
Old 07-18-2022, 04:28 PM

I use various sharpening tools for my different knives and chisels, a small water wheel , Lanskey System, a Veritas system from Lee, carberandum and Wa****a , Cinese wayer stones stones as well as ceramic sticks and a Wicked Edge system.
They all work well if properly used , and a fella can wreck a knife in short order if they are improperly used !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-18-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Yup cant argue with that for the price
They make a higher-end model too, which includes a strop for that final finish. I'd sure like to check that out!
Old 07-18-2022, 04:34 PM

also use the gatco , works well
Old 07-18-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
also use the gatco , works well
Is yours an older model, or more recent?

I'm interested in getting one, but looking at some of the online reviews, many are stating that there is a decline in build quality lately...
Old 07-18-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:

X4 or whatever it is. I have one and it is simple to use. It would last most hunters a lifetime.

Belts can over heat blades and ruin tips if you are not careful.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Is yours an older model, or more recent?

I'm interested in getting one, but looking at some of the online reviews, many are stating that there is a decline in build quality lately...
mine is older
Old 07-18-2022, 06:42 PM

I’ve had my gatco for over 20 years now and am happy with the edge it gives. I added the diamond stone to it and have greater results. The Lansky kit is very similar.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:00 PM

I suck at sharpening
I have a Lansky system....I suck at it.

I use Havalon and Outdoor Edge swing blades because I am useless at sharpening. I have stones, ceramic stuff, electric ones etc.......I cant cut butter with a knife that i "sharpened"........
Old 07-18-2022, 08:14 PM

Hey SNS2, come have a couple pints at my place and I'll dig out the good stones.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:25 PM

I use the wicked edge system and quite like it.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Hey SNS2, come have a couple pints at my place and I'll dig out the good stones.
Where is Mr Fowlow from Portugal gone to? He seems to have gone dark. Maybe in Portugal??
Old 07-18-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Wife comes home tomorrow night. Let’s shoot for next week and I will bring over a couple of ruined by me knives to see if you can salvage.

If you suck, I broadcast it far and wide on AO
Old 07-18-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I use the wicked edge system and quite like it.

I hear those are amazing. Just pricey!
Old 07-18-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I hear those are amazing. Just pricey!
I have heard the same. Former forum member BobbyB had one and it put a crazy edge on knives.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:04 PM

I got a Lansky sharpening system, had it for about 30 years. Puts on a good edge. Don't have to touch up my knife in the field.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:27 PM

I was tought that there are any different ways to get am edge on a knife , the final result is what matters more than how it is achieved .
I was also thought that a knife that will not hold an edge is not worth owning no matter how easily it is sharpened .
My father once owned a Joseph Rodgers and Sons knife, the company was cutlery to the royal family , pretty good cred.
The knife would not an edge for 5 minutes, it was a real disappointment .
If a knife is properly sharpened it should stay sharp enough to last through at least one animal.
A small honing with sticks or a strop should be all that is required.
I also detest knives that take a long time to sharpen because they are overly hard .