Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I noticed the reference to the Native reserve and wondered if there was a connection , as well ?

Grizz
Good point.

I also wonder why this caribou was separated from the herd? Injured? Sick?

I suppose we will hopefully get all these answers after the trial...

Last edited by Phil McCracken; 02-12-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:01 AM

‘Acceptable’ use of his time on the clock with company assets does not sit well with me at all. Rules are rules and we should we all be under the same standard, IMO-those who uphold them maybe even a higher standard.
I do not remember this making the news. Has it just come out now?
Old 02-12-2023, 09:18 AM

The aspect of feeding people in a native community is one that would never have crossed my mind. Had never heard of that, but it’s interesting.

If this were the case, and it was anything resembling a common and accepted practice, I would bet my life savings he would not have lost his career over it.

It is a bizarre story to be sure, and I was the one who shared it with the OP.

I will say this, it is always unfortunate when one act defines a career, but with the situations officers would face on a daily basis, judgement has to be a strong suit.

On this day, for this dude, it was anything but. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere, but not on a police force.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:21 AM

March 14, 2022!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
‘Acceptable’ use of his time on the clock with company assets does not sit well with me at all. Rules are rules and we should we all be under the same standard, IMO-those who uphold them maybe even a higher standard.
I do not remember this making the news. Has it just come out now?

There are no absolutes
Old 02-12-2023, 09:28 AM

No big deal. If he never damaged the truck it would of never been heard of.
950 kms North of the Peg in ass biting cold and he was going to bring some meat home. He never shot at a human.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The aspect of feeding people in a native community is one that would never have crossed my mind. Had never heard of that, but it’s interesting.

If this were the case, and it was anything resembling a common and accepted practice, I would bet my life savings he would not have lost his career over it.

I will say this, it is always unfortunate when one act defines a career, but with the situations officers would face on a daily basis, judgement has to be a strong suit.

On this day, for this dude, it was anything but. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere, but not on a police force.
Exactly, if this was an acceptable practise, we would never have even heard about it. If it was putting a sick or injured animal out of it's misery, we would never have heard about it. This could have been spun multiple ways to make it seem at least somewhat acceptable, and to just make it go away, but that didn happen. As such, we can only assume that the media report is likely at least somewhat accurate, as to what happened, in order for charges to result, and this incident to make the news. Yes you did share the link with me, but it has already been posted on Facebook, by several people, who found the fact that this happened, just as disgusting.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, if this was an acceptable practise, we would never have even heard about it. If it was putting a sick or injured animal out of it's misery, we would never have heard about it. This could have been spun multiple ways to make it seem at least somewhat acceptable, and to just make it go away, but that didn happen. As such, we can only assume that the media report is likely at least somewhat accurate, as to what happened, in order for charges to result, and this incident to make the news. Yes you did share the link with me, but it has already been posted on Facebook, by several people, who found the fact that this happened, just as disgusting.
So, an officer broke the law, got charged and was removed from duty. You should be happy the system worked, but as usual you beat a dead horse due to your personal feelings about this profession... New flash, the majority of officers are great, picking the low lying fruit is getting really old...

Look at any other profession, like medical for example, we trust our lives to those who care for us when we are ill, why don't you dig up all the great preventable deaths from this group ? Ill help here, doctors kill more people per year than motor vehicles and guns combined in the United States, let that sink in and digest for a while....

Why don't we hold the medical profession to a higher standard ? Real question here...
Old 02-12-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
So, an officer broke the law, got charged and was removed from duty. You should be happy the system worked, but as usual you beat a dead horse due to your personal feelings about this profession... New flash, the majority of officers are great, picking the low lying fruit is getting really old...

Look at any other profession, like medical for example, we trust our lives to those who care for us when we are ill, why don't you dig up all the great preventable deaths from this group ? Ill help here, doctors kill more people per year than motor vehicles and guns combined in the United States, let that sink in and digest for a while....

Why don't we hold the medical profession to a higher standard ? Real question here...
He resigned, he wasn't fired, huge difference. As to the medical profession, neither myself nor most Canadians practise medicine, so there is no easy way to compare how the legal system is applied to citizens vs doctors. However, myself and millions of Canadians do own firearms, so it's quite easy to compare how LEOs are treated for firearms violations, compared to regular citizens. And millions of us hunt, and we see how poachers are dealt with under the legal system. Most people that tried to poach a caribou, would be facing a lot more than a charge of not having a license. The fact that the season was closed would bring changes, as would using a vehicle, and was he wearing the colors reuired in Manitoba?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-12-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

If my suspicion is correct....

The issue would be that he shot his vehicle.
This would be near impossible to hide from superiors outside of the district, and from the public that keeps an eye on the RCMP.
Rather than trying to cover up the whole event, which if it then became public knowledge would create an even bigger scandal, this officer was thrown on the sword.

Not long ago, the RCMP harvesting food for the Indians was a common practice, a duty according to the Treaties. I'm sure it still occurs today in remote communities, off the books and out of sight.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-12-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
If my suspicion is correct....

The issue would be that he shot his vehicle.

This would be near impossible to hide from superiors outside of the district, and from the public that keeps an eye on the RCMP.

Rather than trying to cover up the whole event, which if it then became public knowledge would create an even bigger scandal, this officer was thrown on the sword.

Not long ago, the RCMP harvesting food for the Indians was a common practice, a duty according to the Treaties. I'm sure it still occurs today in remote communities, off the books and out of sight.
I'd have no issue with that practice. In fact, I'd applaud it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
By what 7 people on Facebook or links ,maybe 1 or 2 who he busted on the res ,he lost his job and is still going to court. Losing your job is a million dollar fine in the future .He will have a criminal record for life ,not a one year ban from hunting or a 3k fine like most guys get.

You wouldn't last a week at his job in those places. Have you been up the way and looked in the store freezer. Fresh meat is what you shoot . I have been up that way a couple times and I wouldn't last a week either doing his job.

Most folks have zero for fresh meat, yet our government sends billions to other counties . Maybe walk in his shoes for a week watching the life styles up where he is , it's makes a jail sentence a cake walk .

It's okay to sit in your ivory tower taking pot shots at bad cops and yes I do agree there's a different standard of fines at times ,but 6 were killed since the beginning of the year. You never write about those guys ,just the guys that fit your style and attitude .

There's way more better cops then bad cops and the day I'm in trouble I won't be afraid to call one for help or save my family .

The justice system is flawed and has been since lord knows when ,that's because humans in every walk of life go sideways at there job. Human behavior at the highest level has bad eggs in them ,the count seems higher these days . We live in times where the LEO's themselves are asking themselves what in the hell am I doing this for .

When you see your PM stealing billions to line all his buddies pockets , a bad couple shots across the hood or taking a caribou for food is peanuts in my book . FOR FOOD .

Fire away anyway you want ,you painted your portrait years ago on this topic.

Cheers
JD

Last edited by JD848; 02-12-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
He resigned, he wasn't fired, huge difference. As to the medical profession, neither myself nor most Canadians practise medicine, so there is no easy way to compare how the legal system is applied to citizens vs doctors. However, myself and millions of Canadians do own firearms, so it's quite easy to compare how LEOs are treated for firearms violations, compared to regular citizens. And millions of us hunt, and we see how poachers are dealt with under the legal system. Most people that tried to poach a caribou, would be facing a lot more than a charge of not having a license. The fact that the season was closed would bring changes, as would using a vehicle, and was he wearing the colors reuired in Manitoba?
My bad, his resignation is a good thing, less waist on a trail for same results.

Life isn't fair, you should have by now figured this out... In your previous profession, you and many more were granted special privilege's, like myself, which those who are or were not in this industry did not receive... You volunteer your time at a gun range, do you want anyone to believe that you are treated the same as other members who don't have a direct connection to that range like yourself ?

Regarding your comments about "most people" who break firearms laws, well you for one have voiced your opinion on our legal system. Everything is pled down, dismissed and most are given a hug before leaving detention.

I value our officers in uniform, one profession I would never want anyone in my immediate family or friends to choose. Reading the responses here most days in regards to these people really gets old....
Old 02-12-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
By what 7 people on Facebook or links ,maybe 1 or 2 who he busted on the res ,he lost his job and is still going to court. Losing your job is a million dollar fine in the future .He will have a criminal record for life ,not a one year ban from hunting or a 3k fine like most guys get.

You wouldn't last a week at his job in those places. Have you been up the way and looked in the store freezer. Fresh meat is what you shoot . I have been up that way a couple times and I wouldn't last a week either doing his job.

Most folks have zero for fresh meat, yet our government sends billions to other counties . Maybe walk in his shoes for a week watching the life styles up where he is , it's makes a jail sentence a cake walk .

It's okay to sit in your ivory tower taking pot shots at bad cops and yes I do agree there's a different standard of fines at times ,but 6 were killed since the beginning of the year. You never write about those guys ,just the guys that fit your style and attitude .

There's way more better cops then bad cops and the day I'm in trouble I won't be afraid to call one for help or save my family .

The justice system is flawed and has been since lord knows when ,that's because humans in every walk of life go sideways at there job. Human behavior at the highest level has bad eggs in them ,the count seems higher these days . We live in times where the LEO's themselves are asking themselves what in the hell am I doing this for .

When you see your PM stealing billions to line all his buddies pockets , a bad couple shooting across the hood or taking a caribou for food is peanuts in my book . FOR FOOD .

Fire away anyway you want ,you painted your portrait years ago on this topic.

Cheers
JD
How do you know if he will be convicted, and will have a criminal record? The Calgary officer recently charged with firearms violations received a conditional sentence, to avoid him having a criminal record, and this person could get the same.
Everything else that you posted is irrelevant, what matters is that he chose to illegally attempt to poach caribou without a license, outside of the season , with a banned firearm, while he was using a vehicle and firearm, paid for by the taxpayers. He made that choice, and if convicted, he will suffer the consequences.

Quote:
Life isn't fair, you should have by now figured this out... In your previous profession, you and many more were granted special privilege's, like myself, which those who are or were not in this industry did not receive... You volunteer your time at a gun range, do you want anyone to believe that you are treated the same as other members who don't have a direct connection to that range like yourself ?
So which special privileges did I enjoy, because I worked in the oilsands industry? Which laws did I not have to observe, which property could I use that people outside of the industry couldn't? As for volunteering at the range, which special privileges do I enjoy? Which range rules do I not have to obey? I get to spend my own money for the fuel that I burn to travel to the range, and to meetings, and to go around for parts or supplies to maintain the range. I get to spend 100 hours or so of my own time, which saves the club thousands of dollars per year. The one benefit that I get, is a volunteer dinner, that if I added up my annual expanses, likely costs me $800 to $1000 per year in fuel and expenses. I volunteer, because ranges don't run themselves, without someone volunteering, there is no range, it's really that simple. There is a good reason that we never have to vote for an executive, that being that nobody else wants to volunteer to take over a position.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-12-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:

So which special privileges did I enjoy, because I worked in the oilsands industry? Which laws did I not have to observe, which property could I use that people outside of the industry couldn't? As for volunteering at the range, which special privileges do I enjoy? Which range rules do I not have to obey? I get to spend my own money for the fuel that I burn to travel to the range, and to meetings, and to go around for parts or supplies to maintain the range. I get to spend 100 hours or so of my own time, which saves the club thousands of dollars per year. The one benefit that I get, is a volunteer dinner, that if I added up my annual expanses, likely costs me close to $1000 per year in fuel and expenses. I volunteer, because ranges don't run themselves, without someone volunteering, there is no range, it's really that simple. There is a good reason that we never have to vote for an executive, that being that nobody else wants to volunteer to take over a position.
Well myself, being in the Energy Industry, have had more than enough perks which I did not have to pay for nor claim as taxable benefits.

My volunteering over many years has allowed me privilege's beyond the scope of volunteering as well. Like yourself, I spend countless hours and my personal monies but can admit again there are perks the average person or member does not receive.

I guess we see things a lot different... I know I'm not perfect, I am a realist though and can be honest about my experiences.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Well myself, being in the Energy Industry, have had more than enough perks which I did not have to pay for nor claim as taxable benefits.

My volunteering over many years has allowed me privilege's beyond the scope of volunteering as well. Like yourself, I spend countless hours and my personal monies but can admit again there are perks the average person or member does not receive.

I guess we see things a lot different... I know I'm not perfect, I am a realist though and can be honest about my experiences.
I had company provided transportation, but that is by no means exclusive to the industry that I was in, and it wasn't to benefit employees, as much as it was to try and get people to ride the buses, because the highway was already far too congested. And we didn't get discounts on fuel, like some companies. As to ranges, at my previous range, I could shoot skeet whenever I pleased, but due to our location, that is not possible at my current range.

And most importantly, I would have received bo special treatment from the legal system, because of the industry that I worked in. If I broke the law, I would have to answer for it, and if I was using company property, I would have to answer to the company as well.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-12-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:59 PM

Listen Elk11...

You can go all day long slamming authority and government. I suppose it is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. It is obvious that my opinions, along with others, are different than yours at times. All good!

Having said that. Why do you have to judge anyone that dare challenge you?

Most of us, I assume, are just middle class people like you, outdoors people, gun owners, and so forth. I understand we have many issues to deal with when it comes to the government's views in regards to all this. Many of us are and will continue to challenge that. I know for myself, I am always on my MPs arse. First name basis now.

Frankly Elk11, I for one, am starting to get real sick and tired of you slamming authorities all the time.

As mentioned before, many times, you will have the few bad apples within the organization, or other ones. But the majority perform in an exemplary manner. When was the last time you actually found a "good news" story and shared it to all of us? I believe I know the answer...none.

In your world, for some reason, you fail to see that. You only see the "bad things". Pretty sad actually.

And if you want to rebut this, please don't go back in history. Heard it all.
Stick to the topic in hand...Thanx...
Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Listen Elk11...

You can go all day long slamming authority and government. I suppose it is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. It is obvious that my opinions, along with others, are different than yours at times. All good!

Having said that. Why do you have to judge anyone that dare challenge you?

Most of us, I assume, are just middle class people like you, outdoors people, gun owners, and so forth. I understand we have many issues to deal with when it comes to the government's views in regards to all this. Many of us are and will continue to challenge that. I know for myself, I am always on my MPs arse. First name basis now.

Frankly Elk11, I for one, am starting to get real sick and tired of you slamming authorities all the time.

As mentioned before, many times, you will have the few bad apples within the organization, or other ones. But the majority perform in an exemplary manner. When was the last time you actually found a "good news" story and shared it to all of us? I believe I know the answer...none.

In your world, for some reason, you fail to see that. You only see the "bad things". Pretty sad actually.

And if you want to rebut this, please don't go back in history. Heard it all.
Stick to the topic in hand...Thanx...
Well quite frankly, I am just as sick and tired of you constantly defending the actions of the authorities , when they do commit illegal acts, which seems to be happening more and more. This clown willfull chose to violate the law, and then he wasn't fired, he resigned. And he was charged with only one charge for violating the game act, when most people would have also been charged with hunting out of season, using the vehicle, and since he was in uniform , likely not wearing the required colors for hunting in Manitoba. And of course we don't even know of he will receive a conditional discharge, like the officer in Calgary did when he willingly and knowingly violated the firearms laws, when he took his family to a shooting range , and illegally let them shoot banned firearms, as well as firearms that he had no license to even possess.
Yes the image of the RCMP is badly tarnished, but that is because of the actions of their own officers, and the actions
of the upper brass that has openly lied in their collusion with Trudeau, and his government.
You are tired of hearing about these incidents, well we keep hearing about them, because they keep occurring. The solution to not hearing about them, is for the police to stop commiting these illegal acts.
Yes a few bad apples are spoiling the barrel, but the force doesn't seem to be taking action to prevent this, instead they are hiring based on diversity, and quotas, instead of hiring the best people, and the prosecutors and judges, are letting them off easy, when they do commit an offense.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:00 PM
Banned

Well said Elk!
Old 02-12-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Well quite frankly, I am just as sick and tired of you constantly defending the actions of the authorities , when they do commit illegal acts, which seems to be happening more and more. This clown willfull chose to violate the law, and then he wasn't fired, he resigned. And he was charged with only one charge for violating the game act, when most people would have also been charged with hunting out of season, using the vehicle, and since he was in uniform , likely not wearing the required colors for hunting in Manitoba. And of course we don't even know of he will receive a conditional discharge, like the officer in Calgary did when he willingly and knowingly violated the firearms laws, when he took his family to a shooting range , and illegally let them shoot banned firearms, as well as firearms that he had no license to even possess.
Yes the image of the RCMP is badly tarnished, but that is because of the actions of their own officers, and the actions
of the upper brass that has openly lied in their collusion with Trudeau, and his government.
You are tired of hearing about these incidents, well we keep hearing about them, because they keep occurring. The solution to not hearing about them, is for the police to stop commiting these illegal acts.
Yes a few bad apples are spoiling the barrel, but the force doesn't seem to be taking action to prevent this, instead they are hiring based on diversity, and quotas, instead of hiring the best people, and the prosecutors and judges, are letting them off easy, when they do commit an offense.
I did not defend this particular guy/event. Take off your blinders, and go back and read the thread.

I commented with the alleged information so far provided in this particular thread, which of course you obviously cannot for some reason. I also stated that all facts should be disclosed at trial. I am sure you will challenge that also. But it is all good.

And once again, you brought up a bunch of old irrelevant historical events not related to this thread as I suspected you would.

I must say, and others may also agree, you are extremely consistent with that...
Old 02-12-2023, 05:30 PM

Almost as consistent as the high level of transparency we’ve seen from the RCMP
Old 02-12-2023, 05:39 PM

Screw the RCMP. Screw Trudeau. Screw bad cops. Screw bad everyone. We are outdoorsmen and I know for damn sure 99% of us would get along just fine. Stop hammering each other. Just use the ignore function.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers what a thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-12-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Well said Elk!
Some people here would probably support making it illegal to video the police, and illegal to even report their illegal actions, but despite C-11 being passed, we aren't quite China or North Korea yet. So as long as these incidents keep occurring, they should be made public, the people deserve to know when the authorities, violate the laws, that they are paid to uphold.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Some people here would probably support making it illegal to video the police, and illegal to even report their illegal actions, but despite C-11 being passed, we aren't quite China or North Korea yet. So as long as these incidents keep occurring, they should be made public, the people deserve to know when the authorities, violate the laws, that they are paid to uphold.
Please...on behalf of most here, enough already...Thanx...
Closed Thread