Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2023, 11:18 AM

Default Goat Hunting Outfitter Recommendations

Morning,

Wow..........I haven't been on this forum in a while, but I'm looking for some options to book a goat hunt in the near future(BC or Yukon I think). Doing some research now and hoping that some of you can share thoughts and maybe provide some insight on which outfitters are quality and offer good hunts and maybe some that I should steer clear of. Likely a later season hunt when the hair is good.

I've done some sheep hunting and back country hunts, so no stranger to the amount of effort some of these require. There seem to be a fair number of goat hunting options and I'm hoping this group can help narrow it down a bit.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2023, 11:25 AM

I went with Bob Milligan. This was quite a while ago but what a great hunt and a great guy to go hunting with.

You want to be in top shape, especially on the Winter hunts.

As far as I'm concerned he is THE best goat outfitter in BC.

Milligan Outfitting Ltd..
Old 02-14-2023, 11:57 AM

I am an ex BC resident

I have not used any of the outfitters so won’t give a recommendation(could easily call a few friends but their recommendations would be biased because the outfitter would be one of their friends). What I can say is if you want great numbers and quality in BC I would look at region 6 from terrace north to the Yukon border. I personally hunted out of telegraph creek and near Smithers

Only downside is the weather can be wet, foggy and nasty. I have personally been fogged out on goat hunts where visibility was under 100yards for 10days straight

Avoid region 3 as they are smaller goats on average. Region 4 and 7b can hold good goats but I would still go with my first recommendation of region 6. They figure the world record has died of natural causes many times along BCs north coast

That is my two pennies on the matter
Old 02-14-2023, 04:27 PM

I have went twice with one of Milligan's former right hand men who bought the area to the north of him. They havent goat hunted it much (my two hunts and one or two others) since they bought it 4 or 5 years ago because the owner has been under contract for Stone Sheep guiding but he is now done with the contract and going to focus more on his own area. He is just barely south of where the past two world records have come from as well. I was just talking with him the other day about a possible hunt again as he is out guiding a winter hunt right now for Milligan. Look up Miller's Hunting and Outdoors, Scott and Kayla Miller. You wont be disappointed with them. Shoot me a PM if you have questions, etc.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:58 PM

I know a couple of guys who guide for Gundahoo River Outfitters. They have a high success rate and offer a good hunt if your looking for a horseback adventure.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-16-2023, 04:50 PM

Default Last Frontier

I went with Logan Hodson from Last Frontier. He purchased the area from Bolen Lewis a few years ago which was/is well known for big goats.

My overall experience was good and I ended up with a decent goat (52+”). The main guide he had was Alex who was an awesome dude and they both went with me on the hunt (ie 2x1). I went on a winter hunt (Nov) because I wanted a thick coat, and as such it was a lodge based hunt out of Terrace. Logan basically rents part of a house of a guy and you stay there each night. The place was clean and comfortable and it was pretty nice to come back to a hot shower each night.

I’ve only been on a couple of guided hunts, so my experience is limited, however it seemed obvious to me that Logan was just starting out because he didn’t have any supplies/tents in the bush, and it was him and Alex that did all the cooking and work, and I think it was to minimize costs. He said he had never been as far back as he was with me, so I felt like I was a bit of a Guinea pig and part of an exploration team, but it all worked out and I got my goat in 2 days.

It rained pretty much the entire time, and it was probably the hardest hunt I’ve done to date. We did 16 miles the first day, and 19 miles the second day (same place just farther in). We saw lots of goats, but the weather (fog) can really screw things up, so be mentally prepared for that.

There’s way too much to write here, but PM me of you want more info.

Trevor
Old 02-16-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I went with Logan Hodson from Last Frontier. He purchased the area from Bolen Lewis a few years ago which was/is well known for big goats.

My overall experience was good and I ended up with a decent goat (52+”). The main guide he had was Alex who was an awesome dude and they both went with me on the hunt (ie 2x1). I went on a winter hunt (Nov) because I wanted a thick coat, and as such it was a lodge based hunt out of Terrace. Logan basically rents part of a house of a guy and you stay there each night. The place was clean and comfortable and it was pretty nice to come back to a hot shower each night.

I’ve only been on a couple of guided hunts, so my experience is limited, however it seemed obvious to me that Logan was just starting out because he didn’t have any supplies/tents in the bush, and it was him and Alex that did all the cooking and work, and I think it was to minimize costs. He said he had never been as far back as he was with me, so I felt like I was a bit of a Guinea pig and part of an exploration team, but it all worked out and I got my goat in 2 days.

It rained pretty much the entire time, and it was probably the hardest hunt I’ve done to date. We did 16 miles the first day, and 19 miles the second day (same place just farther in). We saw lots of goats, but the weather (fog) can really screw things up, so be mentally prepared for that.

Trevor

Here’s a couple pics…

Bad pic but all I have right now:

Old 02-17-2023, 09:46 AM

looks like a great goat!

that has to be a Jim Boland mount perhaps?
Old 02-17-2023, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
looks like a great goat!

that has to be a Jim Boland mount perhaps?
Brian Kadrmas from Dakota Taxidermy out of North Dakota. He did my Dall sheep and this goat. His work is top quality.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:03 PM

Here is the Dall he did for me a few years ago…

Old 02-17-2023, 05:53 PM
Banned

I need to get a goat too
Old 02-17-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post

Trevor
52+ isnt a decent goat it is a hell of a good goat. Looks like really holds its mass. Can you share some measurements.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:17 AM

I had the good fortune to hunt Elk Valley in BC back when Bob Fontana was the outfitter there. Great memories .
Got a 50 inch billy. Great hunt. Lots of goats and a very well run operation. That's a while ago for sure so I'm not sure what it's like now but I'll bet it's still pretty good. Elk Valley Outfitters website looks good.
Check it out.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
52+ isnt a decent goat it is a hell of a good goat. Looks like really holds its mass. Can you share some measurements.

Here’s the score sheet:

Old 02-18-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I need to get a goat too
I got the guy for it when you're ready. See my post above.