Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-15-2023, 09:35 PM

Default Antelope Decoy

Looking to see if anyone has a good Antelope decoy for sale or knows where one can be bought. I scoured the internet and all I can find is the Montana Decoy. I am not a big fan of those, to floppy in the wind in my experience. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-15-2023, 10:33 PM

I've built them, bought them and everything in between. In my experience it is the ease or lack thereof of anchoring it in the ground that is the limiting factor.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:24 AM

Not sure if the ones in the pic are any good or where you can get them, I’ve only ever saw them on the internet, never handled one. I’ve hunted using homemade ones made from plywood and foam, with a single sharpened rod to push into the ground. There is probably some ideas online. A single rod is good then you can rotate the decoy if need be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75F080FF-09A9-4D3E-B22E-DF27A2671F5B.jpg (30.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 12:39 PM

That folding plastic one works well. I just replaced the rod with a sharpened 3/8" redi-rod with a giant washer placed on it to provide a place to push down on with my boot.
I use another rod to keep the decoy from spinning in the wind
Old 02-16-2023, 01:33 PM

I have used the antelope Montana decoy, its small enough and has good poles that it didn't get blown around.

Now their big red moo cow... that was a different story.

Last edited by freeride; 02-16-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:34 PM

Make your own.

Fabricate a double pronged spike so the decoy does not spin in the wind.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-16-2023, 02:45 PM

beg, borrow, or steal a Mel Dutton decoy. Hands down the best there is
Old 02-21-2023, 10:43 AM

I made one out of plywood and painted it and it worked great .
Old 02-22-2023, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I have used the antelope Montana decoy, its small enough and has good poles that it didn't get blown around.

Now their big red moo cow... that was a different story.
I've used a cow decoy to sidle closer to pronghorn where the only cover was upwind of the pronghorn. We were in full sight of the pronghorn and we got close enough for me to make a 200yd shot. Cows and pronghorn go together like peanut butter and jam.

It was very windy. This cow decoy is made out of that plastic cardboard. It folds down and has metal stakes. Better hang onto it in a wind. I've bought a Montana Big red Moo Cow with the theory that it folds down smaller and would be easier to carry in the wind. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:41 AM

A friend that archery hunts antelope bought a Montana decoy then cut out the exact outline and fixed it to a piece of corrugated plastic, a couple 1/4" stakes it's lite and easy to carry, he said it work great, and I believe him as he has 3 archery antelope.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
I've used a cow decoy to sidle closer to pronghorn where the only cover was upwind of the pronghorn. We were in full sight of the pronghorn and we got close enough for me to make a 200yd shot. Cows and pronghorn go together like peanut butter and jam.

It was very windy. This cow decoy is made out of that plastic cardboard. It folds down and has metal stakes. Better hang onto it in a wind. I've bought a Montana Big red Moo Cow with the theory that it folds down smaller and would be easier to carry in the wind. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Oh I have used the big red moo cow with success, only issue was I was solo and it was tough to manage with wind and by yourself with bow in hand. With 2 people it would work great as it's big and can concealed both of you. Rifle season it would work too. I am not using even the little antelope decoy during rifle.

Unless your the guy I sold it to... then it was great! Lol
Old 02-22-2023, 09:55 PM

https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/pro...stalker-decoy/

I haven't been antelope hunting before I've had success using another stalker decoy and my bow.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie82 View Post
https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/pro...stalker-decoy/

I haven't been antelope hunting before I've had success using another stalker decoy and my bow.
These are good but f you have any wind, it's like attaching a sail to your bow. A little hard to keep on target.