Originally Posted by albertadave View Post

Why?
Because it’s time that we recognize that changes are needed
There are better ways to do things than what are currently doing
Old 02-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not really, I am talking about committing to buying the tag if drawn, which for several species could total $200-$300 in total for several draws, I am not talking about paying $200-$300 per tag, as that could total $1000 or more for tags gor a year, which for you is nothing, but for some people, is very significant. Hunting is already under attack by the animal rights , and anti firearms groups, I don't want to see it become a sport for the wealthy, or the opposition to hunting will grow even faster. It's easier to defend hunting, when we have youths and seniors hunting every species, rather than the males and trophy animals only being hunted by the wealthier members of society, because only they can afford to hunt those animals.
All I’m saying is make it $20-30 to apply per person
Which is probably the average price everywhere else in North America
You won’t have people applying for 11 family members for every option available anymore. Keep the group option if it’s such a big deal. But everyone who’s entered pays
No one is saying $200-300 per tag for residents
Old 02-20-2023, 07:55 AM

This is exactly why all of my family applies for draws. But I have NEVER done it as a group. Application and tag prices need to increase. Case in point. This tag took my wife 14 years to draw. She paid less than $50 for the entire application process for all those years. That’s stupid. I just picked up 10lbs of powder from a retail outlet. Guess how much that cost? The fuel alone to drive to pick it up was more than $50. People need to give their heads a shake.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
All I’m saying is make it $20-30 to apply per person
Which is probably the average price everywhere else in North America
You won’t have people applying for 11 family members for every option available anymore. Keep the group option if it’s such a big deal. But everyone who’s entered pays
No one is saying $200-300 per tag for residents
That way , you get rid of the riff raff right ? and the people who can afford it will continue as before .
I think your idea sucks. There are many many hunters who are seniors on a tight tight budget who will drop out of the game when it costs them $20 a ticket to gamble on a draw tag simply because they cannot afford it.

My son in law is an avid hunter but you put that added cost to the expense and it would likely force him out. They are a single income family with 2 kids and literally budget every penny
Old 02-20-2023, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=jungleboy;4612014]That way , you get rid of the riff raff right ? and the people who can afford it will continue as before .
I think your idea sucks. There are many many hunters who are seniors on a tight tight budget who will drop out of the game when it costs them $20 a ticket to gamble on a draw tag simply because they cannot afford it.

Fishing licenses are free to seniors so he (or she) could take that money And use it for the draw tag.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
That way , you get rid of the riff raff right ? and the people who can afford it will continue as before .

My son in law is an avid hunter but you put that added cost to the expense and it would likely force him out. They are a single income family with 2 kids and literally budget every penny
Lot of hunting opportunity in Alberta without draws. You can shoot 3 whitetails and an elk here for around $100. Cheapest part of the hunt by far
Old 02-20-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Lot of hunting opportunity in Alberta without draws. You can shoot 3 whitetails and an elk here for around $100. Cheapest part of the hunt by far
So what if you reside in the Southern part of the province where the only general tag is one whitetail ?
Old 02-20-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Yes that is true , but the thread topic is draws and everyone should be able to participate whether he makes 200 k a year or lives on a fixed pension.

The guy who says he could care less if he ever hunted Alberta again should not have a say in the debate.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

So what if you reside in the Southern part of the province where the only general tag is one whitetail ?
Then you hunt whitetail every year.
Bear tag every spring. Drive west
Sheep tag. Drive west
Better than waiting 25 years for a speed goat tag anyways
Old 02-20-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Spot on.

Well that’s untrue
Old 02-20-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Because it’s time that we recognize that changes are needed
There are better ways to do things than what are currently doing
You're not wrong about that. But again, that's not what I asked.
I've seen Trudeau do a better job of answering a question.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Spot on.

Lots of mule deer doe tags in the south
Old 02-20-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Then you hunt whitetail every year.
Bear tag every spring. Drive west
Sheep tag. Drive west
Better than waiting 25 years for a speed goat tag anyways
In context to what I quoted, this is not practical for those who are on tight financial restrictions. Cost is a reality for many in our group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Well that’s untrue
Help me out, I reside in the SE corner of this province, other than general archery, general whitetail is what is realistically available here.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
You're not wrong about that. But again, that's not what I asked.
I've seen Trudeau do a better job of answering a question.
That’s the reason why
Not sure what more there is to add
Things can and should be better
We need to change how we do things
Old 02-20-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Lots of mule deer doe tags in the south
Draw for the skin heads here....
Old 02-20-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
In context to what I quoted, this is not practical for those who are on tight financial restrictions. Cost is a reality for many in our group.

Help me out, I reside in the SE corner of this province, other than general archery, general whitetail is what is realistically available here.
Dude. You might have to drive somewhere to hunt. Don’t we all. What do you do when you don’t draw a tag? I suspect that is far more years than when you do?
Old 02-20-2023, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Draw for the skin heads here....
Tons of Undersubscribed
Even with the cheap price for draws
Old 02-20-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Dude. You might have to drive somewhere to hunt. Don’t we all.
Again in context to those who are burdened with financial restrictions, there are not a lot of options other than draws for certain areas of our province.

For the record, I just walk out the front door to fill my freezer.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:

Our farm is in the ne corner of the province
All we have is whitetail deer too
We don’t even have the option for archery
I have the same problem
Old 02-20-2023, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again in context to those who are burdened with financial restrictions, there are not a lot of options other than draws for certain areas of our province.

So your complaining about costs
When the biggest one that you have is the price of the draws and tags?
Old 02-20-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Yep. 3 whitetail. At a discount if you're old even . 1 bull elk. 1 cow elk. 2 bear. Lots of upland. Thousands of gophers. All for under $150.00 including wildlife cert.

Not much to complain about as far as hunting opportunities. How Alberta manages the wildlife is a whole different ballgame.

Last edited by 270person; 02-20-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
So your complaining about costs
When the biggest one that you have is the price of the draws and tags?
Like yourself Mark, I have hunted all over this spinning rock we call Earth, so financially for myself and guys like you it is not a problem...

Now, many who enjoy our passion are not in the same financial arena we are in, pricing them out with increases is wrong in my opinion... I know, your going to come back with its only a few more bucks, reality of it is many people are having to choose between simply buying groceries or paying utility bills...

The costs associated with our sport is far beyond just the price of the draws and tags... We as a group should worry about the future of those less fortunate and do our best to keep costs realistic for everyone, no matter of social status.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
So basically what you’re saying is the draws should be for the elitist, that way they don’t have to wait as long to pull the specialty tags that they outright deserve! It makes me laugh you’re all ok with raising the price of draws and tags, but yet you all bitch and moan when the carbon tax is increased, interest rates are raised, price of gas goes up, or how the government spends money foolishly.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
So basically what you’re saying is the draws should be for the elitist, that way they don’t have to wait as long to pull the specialty tags that they outright deserve! It makes me laugh you’re all ok with raising the price of draws and tags, but yet you all bitch and moan when the carbon tax is increased, interest rates are raised, price of gas goes up, or how the government spends money foolishly.
No, he is basically not saying that.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Like yourself Mark, I have hunted all over this spinning rock we call Earth, so financially for myself and guys like you it is not a problem...

Now, many who enjoy our passion are not in the same financial arena we are in, pricing them out with increases is wrong in my opinion... I know, your going to come back with its only a few more bucks, reality of it is many people are having to choose between simply buying groceries or paying utility bills...

The costs associated with our sport is far beyond just the price of the draws and tags... We as a group should worry about the future of those less fortunate and do our best to keep costs realistic for everyone, no matter of social status.
Someone I going to get the short end of the straw
But that’s life
Are you willing to lose young hunters who see that there is no possibility to do the hunts they dream of. For the sake of keeping the cost down? Someone is going to lose. Personally I don’t think our wildlife should be subsidizing peoples economic situations. Many jurisdictions with very low incomes, still don’t allow substance hunting unless every option has been exhausted including food banks and stamps
Old 02-20-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Hobbies cost money. Hunting is a hobby.
If you need to shoot a deer to survive, get a subsistence tag
Old 02-20-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Hunting is a hobby. Heating your home is not
Old 02-20-2023, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hunting is a hobby. Heating your home is not
I don’t get how he complains about the possibility of tags or draws going up in one post
Then says he spends all summer in 400 watching rams in another one
Old 02-20-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The “American method” isn’t really that bad for the most part
It gives people opportunities to hunt in a variety of different ways
And even so, each state is different too
It’s the high demand tags that are the focus of a lot of the frustration
You just have even more people trying to get that same small number of opportunities. There’s no way to avoid issues
But that’s what it takes to have a true trophy district. Limit the tags or implement a point restriction. We have several districts like that in Montana that are known for huge Mule deer, elk sheep moose antelope and managed for them. Very hard to draw but you can still hunt public land with an OTC tag for a lot of those species and find a trophy.

People might not like it but the fact is there isn’t enough of those big animals to satisfy everyone that wants one. You open those trophy districts up and the quality and number of animals will go down. Another fact is non residents and outfitters pay a pretty penny to fund conservation with all the fees they pay. Again if you get rid of those then expect resident costs to increase to offset the loss of revenue. Personally I’m not a fan of a lot of outfitters because o haven’t had good experiences dealing with them, but I understand they’re a necessary evil. it Simple business.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Someone I going to get the short end of the straw
But that’s life
Are you willing to lose young hunters who see that there is no possibility to do the hunts they dream of. For the sake of keeping the cost down? Someone is going to lose. Personally I don’t think our wildlife should be subsidizing peoples economic situations. Many jurisdictions with very low incomes, still don’t allow substance hunting unless every option has been exhausted including food banks and stamps
I said this before earlier in the thread, more population and less resources is a simple reality today. So we all loose when it comes to opportunity.

Take this for what it is, if these new sportsmen and women come into the sport with an attitude that some species may be out of reach, well this is being selfish IMO. If this causes them to not want to participate, well then they will loose out on all the other opportunities this province has to offer...