Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2023, 07:56 AM

Default New hunting pack and boots to buy?

Hello guys/gals. I’ve got a job lined up working for a guide as a wrangler for the whole summer in the Yukon. I figure I got most of the stuff I need for the 2 month trip, but I think a quality pair of hiking boots and a more comfortable pack will help a lot. I’m 15 years old so I’d prefer to keep the pack(+frame) under $700 and the boots under $450 if possible. I will spend more money if required.
Here’s the requirements for the pack.

-I’m 6’3 so a fairly tall frame.
-must be very comfortable as it will be used quite often in those 2 months.
-capable for backpacking a week long trip.
- must be able to haul out elk quarters in the fall
-I like the idea of hauling meat in between the pack and the frame if possible.

And for the boots! ($300-$450)
- these will need to be very comfortable (yes I know comfort varies between different feet)
-relatively lightweight.
-good ankle support for being in the rough stuff like sheep hunting up high.
-extremely tough and durable as they will get tons of use and I’d like them to last a while

And if anyone can point me to a store for boots or hunting packs in Calgary I’d be all ears!
I know it’s asking a lot to narrow it down but thank you folks!!
Old 02-20-2023, 08:36 AM

Can't go wrong with Mystery Ranch packs I think.

Boots? Han Wags, Crispis, get what fits...
Old 02-20-2023, 08:46 AM

You are going to hear so many options
Do your research and buy what fits the best and price range.
For me it was eberlestock pack and irish setter boots
Old 02-20-2023, 09:01 AM

I have mystery ranch, stone glacier, kuiu packs. Hanwag and Lowa boots. The dream team is the Kuiu pack and Lowa boots.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:09 AM
Banned

Everyone’s foot is different
Try on as many different brands and models as you can
You’ll know when you found the right ones

Packs
I have a stone glacier and it has been to hell and back
It’s been around the world many times and comes with me everywhere
Can’t say enough good things about it
Old 02-20-2023, 09:22 AM

There are a couple of Exo K2 bags listed in buy an sell - they are the large packs that would meet your requirements.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:28 AM

Last edited by no-regard; 02-20-2023 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:29 AM

Wait, you are 15 and 6' 3".....

I couldn't get past that part!

Lots of good suggestions made. Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Eberlestock for packs (try them on if you can, and also keep an eye out for the Buy and Sell, good used gear and a way to try something without quite the expense).

Boots are a personal thing. Everyone has their favorites. Danner, Meindel, Hanwag and Lowa. Lots of good quality, but try a bunch on and see what works. I'm still rocking Irish Setters and love them,.

Lucky young man to land a job like that. I'm sure you will do yourself proud, it will be a ton of long days and hard work and you will probably thrive. I did at that age. Even though I was barely 5' 8"......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-20-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
There are a couple of Exo K2 bags listed in buy an sell - they are the large packs that would meet your requirements.
This is definitely the answer.

I tried on a pair of Hanwag Tatra(?) the other day, seemed very nice. I've been wearing Lowa Renegades for a couple years, the Hanwag was definitely more rugged - I'd be looking at those.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:32 AM

If you want to do some on-line research, Rokslide is a good place to look to see lots of gear reviews. There are forums for just packs, boots, clothing, etc.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:05 PM

Check out camofire for sales. Lots of good boot brands go on sale, same with mystery ranch.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I would suggest this.

Or keep an eye on the Kuiu website. That tend to have their packs on sale (25% off) quite often. They are a good middle of the road pack for the money
Old 02-20-2023, 01:40 PM

Boots might be the most important ingredient for a wilderness guy and every pair of feet is different. Try them all. Altitude Sports will let you buy and return with zero hassles and it's a fast process. Generally 4-5 day shipping. Buy the lifetime membership and sign up for their sales notifications. Probably save you 30-40% off a good pair of boots which from how you've described your needs are going to run you $400+ conservatively.

My only recommend is on the mountain, rocks, shale, support, heavy pack carry side, IF they fit you well, are the Lowa Tibet GTX. Damn good and tough boots. Not light however. Whatever you buy, treat em nice. They're worth the $$$ and will last you a long time if you do.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:30 PM

I’ve got a Mystery Ranch Metcalf with a bunch of accessories and a mule bag that I’ve been thinking about selling. PM me if you’re interested.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:33 PM

Hey young fella. Glad you went after that summer job. Gonna be quite the experience.

I can’t comment on packs, but I can tell as you that I have cheaped out on boots most of my life. Bought a pair of Lowas last summer after trying on a whole bunch. There is a store in Calgary called Norseman. They are a mountaineering kind of store, and the guys there will know more about fit than if you go to a chain store like MEC, Atmosphere or Breathe Outdoors. Try what they have. Pretty sure you will find something that works. When you find a pair that feels “just right,” shop around for the best price, because lots of these places online have free shipping as has been mentioned, but go back to Norseman and if they are priced higher, give them a chance to match, as they are an independent store, and supporting them is a good habit to get into at a young age.

Hanwag, Scarpa, Lowa, Asolo, Mammut, Vasque etc… all make great boots that are goretex lined and will last you a long time, and will fit if your hooves don’t keep growing, and will be in your price range.

Another thing I’d suggest is that if your dad will help you out, buy two or three pairs that feel great with your dad’s CC if he’s willing, tell the store you will keep the pair that feels best after walking around a mall for a half hour. This will take guesswork out of the equation. I just did this for my wife and the store was happy to do so.

It is amazing how comfortable and supportive good boots that fit your feet really are.

We want lots of pictures this summer!
Old 02-20-2023, 03:01 PM

If you can make it to the Sportmen's show (and provided there's a good vendor turnout) it may be a good opportunity to compare the various offerings WRT clothing and packs...
Old 02-20-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
I have mystery ranch, stone glacier, kuiu packs. Hanwag and Lowa boots. The dream team is the Kuiu pack and Lowa boots.
My first good quality boot came to me this past October, pair of Lowa that did not fit a friend as well as they fit me. Amazing how they are..
Old 02-20-2023, 03:50 PM

One pack option is the hornhunter full curl system. I have had mine about 5 years now and its been bomb proof..its heavier than some of the other "elite " brands but its built solid and comes with many options that the top tier charge extra for...its very modular and can accommodate both a 10 day excursion all the way down to a small light back pack that will only carry absolute essentials. I have packed numerous elk quarters on mine with no issue.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the help folks! Upon posting this thread I’ve got pms about 2 separate packs that some gentleman are selling. I will take a close look at both. I’m sure I will buy one of them as they are both priced reasonably!

Sns2 and to anyone else that mentioned it. The next step will be to head to Norseman’s after school and try on some boots!!!

Some boots that caught my eye after some of you pointed them out…
Lowa tibet gtx
Hanwag Alaska gtx

Hanwags and lowas look great and look very tough but I will consider a few other brands as well.
Thanks again. Truly appreciated!!
Old 02-20-2023, 05:42 PM

As for boots, I am sold on HD Meindl ... cabelas sometimes has them under their Canadian label or something ... had zamerlaine for years...ok but not a miendl ... some law enforcement/military use a Lowa I think it is and they swear by them and not at them

As for packs i have a mystery ranch that I have never used so I cannot speak to it yet
Old 02-20-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
You are going to hear so many options
Do your research and buy what fits the best and price range.
For me it was eberlestock pack and irish setter boots
Eberlestock mainframe XL w batwings and Hanwags here, or Scrapa grand dru for extreme rock. Price range Irish setters. Bezzola is bang on.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Thanks for the help folks! Upon posting this thread I’ve got pms about 2 separate packs that some gentleman are selling. I will take a close look at both. I’m sure I will buy one of them as they are both priced reasonably!

Sns2 and to anyone else that mentioned it. The next step will be to head to Norseman’s after school and try on some boots!!!

Some boots that caught my eye after some of you pointed them out…
Lowa tibet gtx
Hanwag Alaska gtx

Hanwags and lowas look great and look very tough but I will consider a few other brands as well.
Thanks again. Truly appreciated!!

I have both the Lowa and Hanwag GTX. The Hanwags are a softer boot, lighter as well, and basically zero break in required. Was really disappointed on my first rain hunt though when my feet got absolutely drenched. Expected a lot more and I've now done everything I can to waterproof them to the max. Hope it helps because they're a damn comfy boot.

No such experience in the Lowas. If I was pounding rocks and steep sidehills I'd take the Lowas as well. Sacrifice some lightness but worth it in those conditions.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:32 PM

Well that’s good to know before spending that kind of money!!
Just to clarify- that was the hanwag Alaskan gtx?
Old 02-20-2023, 06:34 PM

I find hanwags to fit narrow.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:36 PM

Hmmm I have narrow feet so that’s good to know.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Well that’s good to know before spending that kind of money!!
Just to clarify- that was the hanwag Alaskan gtx?

Yes sir. Don't want to say it's characteristic though. All boots will get sopped but I'll give them another go after a heavy duty conditioning and waterproofing.

Very similar looking boots to the Lowa. Like the full rand boots.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Yes sir. Don't want to say it's characteristic though. All boots will get sopped but I'll give them another go after a HD conditioning and waterproofing.

Very similar looking boots to the Lowa. Like the full rand boots.
Oh okay good to know. I have nikwax and mink oil. Will one of them work for these boots?
Old 02-20-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Hmmm I have narrow feet so that’s good to know.

All the Euro boots fit narrower in the toe box but you can get most in a wide fit as well. Go a half size larger than normal.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Oh okay good to know. I have nikwax and mink oil. Will one of them work for these boots?
No oil on Nubuck boots. You'll ruin them. Nikwax and others make a Nubuck cleaner and waterproofer
Old 02-20-2023, 06:43 PM

Thank you!