Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-05-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
MY Barnes 150's in .311 leave the muzzle at 2774FPS, closet deer was under 20 yards, furthest was well over 360 yards, the velocity would have been somewhere in the 1900-1800 FPS range.
They are reliable enough for me that I just picked up another 100.
They may not work for everyone, but they sure have proven themselves in my single shot Ruger!
Cat
BTW, I have also killed a passel of animals with the .303 Brit with lots of different cup and core bullets in weights from 150 to 215 grains.
For me, the deciding number 1 factor id if the rifle will shoot a particular bullet.
Cat
Old 03-05-2023, 10:23 AM

There is some good practical info on this site about reloaded cartridges and their performance, both in accuracy and in the field. I enjoy reading how some have really gone way beyond what I do in reloading and how they got there and why.

My reloading is as basic as it gets. I played with different bullets a bit just to see what shot best in my rifle.

All shot good, but a couple were definitely more consistantly accurate.

Im really not knowledgable enough in the area to make a claim on bullet expansion. I just try to make my most accurate cartridge and go with that.

I see I made an error in my previous post tho. I meant 165 accubonds not 180. Ive never shot a 180 accubond

My rifle is a Sako A7. An AO member got it, shot it and wrote a nice article on it. Its a 30-06. Not his favorite calibre so I bought it and its my hunting rifle.

I have a Parker Hale 300 win mag with open sights. It is for 80yds and under on cutlines. I use whatever ammo i have in my pocket for it. It shoots pretty good at that distance

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-05-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
The elk I shot this fall will be glad to hear how my "accubombs" don't work! Bullet went through both sides and kept on going so finding evidence for the elk to present to Mr Nosler might be a bit difficult. Come to think of it, every elk I've ever killed was with an accubond. I guess that means this is now a class action lawsuit
Lmfao
Old 03-05-2023, 10:37 AM

Accubonds are hard to find these days so with only a couple hundred left it may be time to switch bullets anyway for me. Barnes are available all day every day, looking at some Speer Hotcors and some Hornady seems to be everywhere as well.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:38 AM

It's easy to get in a rush or take an awkward shot thinking that it may be the only opportunity. Been there, done that. In some of those cases it's not the bullets fault. I'm sure there are instances where any bullet could fail under the wrong circumstances.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
The elk I shot this fall will be glad to hear how my "accubombs" don't work! Bullet went through both sides and kept on going so finding evidence for the elk to present to Mr Nosler might be a bit difficult. Come to think of it, every elk I've ever killed was with an accubond. I guess that means this is now a class action lawsuit
I was on a US site and was laughed at for using 170g hornady round nose with imr3031 powder. One guy asked me how long my freezer had been empty for...lol

Friend told my son that bullet powder combo would bounce off a moose.

My son shot his first moose with it, head on, and it died on the spot. Shot it a little to the side of the breast bone.

After it was butchered, i set up the ribs and punched a hole thru with my .22. I told my son you think a 30 cal bullet going almost twice as fast will bounce off?

Ended that in a hurry

Not saying what i use is the ultimate set up. Far from it Im sure
Im sure bullets fail like anything else does. I just dont have the experience with it .....yet

But I am aware that other guys have been disappointed with some bullets and I take note of that because I value their knowledge

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-05-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most complaints that I have heard about monometals not expanding, was exactly as you describe, not enough impact velocity. I actually prefer 2500fps impact velocity with monometals.
Agreed. Monometals have worked great for me with muzzle velocities 3200fps and up, where the hunting range is 350yds or less. For my slower cartridges I prefer a Partition or Interlock. Recently I have loaded some Sierra Tipped Gamekings, hoping they will have good performance as well.

I think more people need to identify their expected impact velocity for their intended hunting range and cartridge. Then choose a bullet based off that information. Most bullets are well constructed, just intended to expand at a specific velocity range.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
The longest shot I have ever made on an animal was 560 yds on a big bull Elk. I was using a 270 with 130 gr TSX’s. He went nowhere, no bone was struck, and that bullet opened.
Great Shot ! That TSX appears to have connected at about minimum reccomended velocity (1800fps,or a bit less) for that bullet. The fact it opened at all , having met with little resistance is amazing. Did you happen to recover it? Just wondering two things,.. the final bullet diameter and why you chose to take that shot knowing what you know about about those bullets. Not dissing, just genuinely interested.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Great Shot ! That TSX appears to have connected at about minimum reccomended velocity (1800fps,or a bit less) for that bullet. The fact it opened at all , having met with little resistance is amazing. Did you happen to recover it? Just wondering two things,.. the final bullet diameter and why you chose to take that shot knowing what you know about about those bullets. Not dissing, just genuinely interested.
Sure. That bullet went straight through. It took the top of the heart clean off. Why did I take that shot? Because I was pretty darn confident I could make it successfully. That played out as expected.

I find it funny that people complain about the expansion of Barnes bullets. There are precious few bullets that have expanded diameters that can match a Barnes bullet.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:29 PM

Barnes LRX. Boom , gut animal.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:38 PM

Boils down to barnes haters are gonna hate, and some will defend to the end. I use barnes only in my .257 bee now.
I have the recovered bullet from my dad's 7mm deer at 398. Not good expansion at all. Went in the front chest and found against the hide after going through the whole animal and hip bone. Alot of bone and animal for small expansion. For the price and performance I choose to use other bullets.
Each to there own.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:45 PM

This really wasn’t about Barnes bullets or Accubonds for that matter. Just hunting bullet construction. My family shot four big game animals last season with Lapua Scenars. I have to say they worked rather well.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
The longest shot I have ever made on an animal was 560 yds on a big bull Elk. I was using a 270 with 130 gr TSX’s. He went nowhere, no bone was struck, and that bullet opened.
Nicely done!
This gives me some confidence to work up ttsx in a recently purchased 270. Leaning towards the 110 gr. I am not likely to take any shots at game past 400.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2023, 03:25 PM

On the subject of mono metals I have used them quite a bit in a .30-06 as well as 165/180 cup and core bullets and with well placed shots have not had any issues cleanly taking game with a well placed shot however I don't think I have taken a shot past 250 yards with the .30-06 at a game animal. I acquired a 7mmX300 WBY a couple years ago and upon reading some suggestions from members on this forum who had similar overbore chambering's decided to start with a 150TTSX. I worked up a very accurate load with it and was fortunate enough to test it out on 2 large animals this year. The load has a MV of 3400 FPS and I took a large cow moose at about 80 yards with it behind the shoulder. Put the moose down in short order and upon examining the animal while skinning the bullet had completely passed through and made a nice wound channel and shed 2 petals on the off side hide guessing this was due to the high impact velocity. I took a cow elk with the same rifle at 150 yards in the front shoulder which resulted in a bang flop and complete passthrough. Im personally a big fan of the barnes TSX and on the rifles I have used them with MV's between 2800-3400 FPS they have proven very effective for me in the field.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Accubonds are hard to find these days so with only a couple hundred left it may be time to switch bullets anyway for me. Barnes are available all day every day, looking at some Speer Hotcors and some Hornady seems to be everywhere as well.
That’s about where I am. Hornady seems to be the one manufacturer that’s avoided the shortages for whatever reason. For my hunting needs I’m about ready to go basic and use interlocks.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:44 AM

I've had the opposite end of the spectrum on ttsx, I shot my cowbell at 85 yards with 100gr ttsx box ammo from weatherby, on recovery it looked like what hammer says their bullets are supposed to do. Not planing on changing away from them anytime soon though
Old 03-06-2023, 07:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Barnes LRX. Boom , gut animal.
Well my bullet guts em, drags em and loads em.

In all honesty muzzle velocity, accuracy will determine what I load up on the bench, hit the range with and then the field.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-06-2023, 12:11 PM

I've used pretty much most bullets out there. Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes. Cup&core, bonded, mono's. They all did great for the most part other than Sierra Gamekings 6.5mm 140 grain at 2650 fps. Great accuracy but terminal performance on a couple deer had me write them off. Both times on shoulder shots they blew up, requiring finishing shots on the both. One at 50 yards and the other around 340 yards, same batch of bullets- maybe it was a bad batch- still enough for me not to trust them especially almost having the biggest buck I've taken almost get away.

Last year I tried Barnes TSX for the first time and was very impressed. Shot great out of my 8x57. 180gr-2780fps. Recovered one out of a deer at 180 yards on a frontal chest shot.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:15 PM

Default interesteing

My son anf I have used Nosler Partitions,Accubonds and E-Tips in a few diff calibers and wieghts.Tested them all on Wood (2X4)cut into foot long ish pieces and nail in a cross patern,gelatin and water.Then used in the field in Moose,Bull Elk,Bears and deer.All have done the job of penetration and wieght retention.Only critter that was really messed up was a yotie.And at that close range is expexted.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:31 AM

I have only recovered one Barnes .311/150 TSX and it was last Fall from a neck shot .
The bullet weighed exactly 150 grains and wad blown out to almost twice its size .
My others were all pass through with an exit hope of good expansion. So I have never experienced a bad terminal performance with them.

A friend has been urging evto try some Hammer buckets this year. And although I would really like to try them, I am hesitant simply because of the cost, nothing more.
From what I have read they are excellent bullets , although I have not any reviews on his .303 bullets, only more popular calibers .
Cat
Old 03-07-2023, 09:26 AM

Shot all of the different premium ones for years. Lots of Barnes, some accubonds, partitions before that and interlocks. Been shooting ELDM's for the last 3 or so. They work excellent near and far. We tend to overthink this.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Shot all of the different premium ones for years. Lots of Barnes, some accubonds, partitions before that and interlocks. Been shooting ELDM's for the last 3 or so. They work excellent near and far. We tend to overthink this.
As human beings, we tend to overthink everything !
Depending on where or not a hunter wants pass through, 100% energy dump in the animal, weight retention, shrapnel type bullet performance , super penetration etc one person's opinion will be different than another's.Add to this , most people expect their bullet to do whatever and any distance and velocity, well, about the only constant you will get is the rifle/shooter ability.
If you put it where you know you can kill every time, kill percentage will go up.
If not, the bullet likely won't help a poor shot anyway
Cat
Old 03-07-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As human beings, we tend to overthink everything !
Depending on where or not a hunter wants pass through, 100% energy dump in the animal, weight retention, shrapnel type bullet performance , super penetration etc one person's opinion will be different than another's.Add to this , most people expect their bullet to do whatever and any distance and velocity, well, about the only constant you will get is the rifle/shooter ability.
If you put it where you know you can kill every time, kill percentage will go up.
If not, the bullet likely won't help a poor shot anyway
Cat
Yep! For how many decades did our grandparents and great grandparents use simple bullets with success. Like anything, if used within its limitations you’ll be successful if you do your part.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:50 PM

Lead will make you stupid over time. Caught up with me a while back. Got Elk11 twenty years ago. Use monometals

Last edited by sns2; 03-07-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:53 PM

I’ve shot a lot of moose over the years. With core Lokts, partitions, accubonds, interlocks, interbonds, SST and even Berger’s. Out of all those moose, they all died. Interlocks usually have the jacket come off the core but still expand well and kill great. The only bullet I’ve ever used that was disappointing was the old Winchester fail safes.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Lead will make you stupid over time. Caught up with me a while back. Got Elk11 twenty years ago. Use monometals
Interesting. Here I thought it was age and beer when all along it was partitions.
I hope it's reversible, may be switching to LRX's
Old 03-07-2023, 03:05 PM

JT ate lead paint in that old house he grew up in. Its affects are obviously irreversible.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgradinaru View Post
I've used pretty much most bullets out there. Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes. Cup&core, bonded, mono's. They all did great for the most part other than Sierra Gamekings 6.5mm 140 grain at 2650 fps. Great accuracy but terminal performance on a couple deer had me write them off. Both times on shoulder shots they blew up, requiring finishing shots on the both. One at 50 yards and the other around 340 yards, same batch of bullets- maybe it was a bad batch- still enough for me not to trust them especially almost having the biggest buck I've taken almost get away.

Last year I tried Barnes TSX for the first time and was very impressed. Shot great out of my 8x57. 180gr-2780fps. Recovered one out of a deer at 180 yards on a frontal chest shot.
I saw a 7mm Game King bullet just splat on a deer shoulder, wasn't mine but my hunting partners. I couldn't believe it, after chasing that buck down and taking a look to see why he didn't drop, it was shocking. He dumped about 10 boxes of Game Kings as he had completely lost faith in them.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
JT ate lead paint in that old house he grew up in. Its affects are obviously irreversible.
I kinda figured it was the Stones steady tapping on his forehead that caused the brain damage
Old 03-07-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I kinda figured it was the Stones steady tapping on his forehead that caused the brain damage
Bahahahaha