Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2020, 12:58 PM

Default Help on the Highway

So my 25 year old daughter has to go from Calgary to Medicine Hat today for work, the provide her with a rental car (ford fusion)so she doesn't have to take her own vehicle. Heading down the 22x the weather is blowing snow and ice on the road and the rental car starts to act up, in her words, like its driving over a cattleguard, she calls me as daughters sometimes do, and I tell her it might be either lug nuts coming loose or a flat tire, pull over and check your wheels. So she pulls over and checks and everything seems fine, except now she is stuck on the side of the road in a little farm field access point. Car won't move backward or forward.
She is about 50 K west of Gleichen. I tell her to wave down a passing car and somebody will pull her/push her back out on the highway.
she tried that for 40 minutes watching a tow truck and dozens of pick ups drive by and look at this young women, stuck on the side of the road waving frantically for help just keep on driving.
Finally a woman in an SUV stopped and advised her she should turn around and go back because the weather was bad and then drove off. Very helpful.
Eventually an older first nations guy in a beat up old Civic stopped and a skinny nerdy looking kid in a Ford Fiesta stopped and they pushed her back on the road. She tried to give each of them $20 but neither would accept it.
So the point of the story for me, as a parent,and a rural resident, is, what the heck is wrong with people that they would drive by a motorist clearly in trouble, in a snowstorm on a lightly travelled rural road and not at least offer to do something to assist, are we all that wrapped up in our own personal little world that its just too much of an inconvenience to stop your big ***** lifted f250 and help somebody out? I was on the phone with her the entire time and couldn't believe that people just slowed down, looked and kept going. 44 minutes before somebody stopped.
She wasn't in mortal danger, but still, pretty disappointing.
Thanks Ben Rider and Keith for stopping to help my kid.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

hmmm maybe call for road side assistance....or the place she rented it from to get their butts out there and help her out....it runs...flashers on....window cracked and hood up.

people are leery of people even when trying to help now a days.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-02-2020, 01:12 PM

Ya nowadays it's common practice to look the other way when someone needs help. People won't lend a hand unless there's something in it for them. Most people won't even make eye contact with you when they drive by.

A few years ago an elderly woman had a connecting rod come through the engine block on her way back from lethbridge. I pulled over to see if she was ok. She had called a tow truck. I parked there and let her wait in my truck for over an hour so she wouldn't freeze to death waiting for a tow.

I'm glad someone finally stopped and helped your daughter. Sometimes it's a couple days before a tow truck makes it out.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:16 PM

I don’t understand it but nowadays some people are more likely to video someone in distress rather than help them
Old 01-02-2020, 01:21 PM
AO Sponsor

That sucks! I always stop and check on people on the road like that myself. Just a note, often what happens with the situation she described, it could have been something as simple and snow/ice pack in the back of the wheel that built up and a big chunk broke away causing a massive imbalance. It happens to me frequently driving snowy back roads and the truck is perfect and in a second starts shaking bad and it is always that. Fortunately my truck wheels have large gaps between the spokes and it is easy to clean out with a snow brush, but it may be a bit trickier on a car wheel.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-02-2020, 01:32 PM

Thumbs down

I can't drive by without stopping. I just can not do it. My Uncle and 5 others were in a car stuck in a snowstorm overnight. 2 of them lived. Carbon monoxide took the rest of them.

I understand the fear for any very young or very old person driving alone to stop and help, because there has been a lot of times where the one person waiting did not mention the other 3 laying in wait, it happens.

It is sad that many drove by without helping. I feel for you Dad.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-02-2020, 01:35 PM

Almost surely a build up of snow/ice in the wheel. If the car has steel winter wheels, it can be really difficult to get solve the problem. In my experience, the rumbling normally doesn't occur until about 80km/hr.

It's too bad that it took so long to help, and good on those that did. I hit the ditch a few years back and the first person to stop offered to pull me out... for $20
Old 01-02-2020, 01:37 PM

I know two families that have no father because they stopped to help someone on the highway. Both were killed trying to help.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-02-2020, 01:44 PM

To me the highway (especially during bad weather) is like the international law of the sea, you assist others in need. I've done it a few times. Cripes, just last fall I followed some elderly woman who was driving with a flat rear drivers-side tire, a motorist beside me beat me to notifying her of the flat (my Sprinter didn't accelerate like his AMG suv) but I pulled over and installed her spare so that she and the other great-grandma with her could carry on with whatever hijinx they were up to.

Its especially concerning when its a female who is stranded remotely, for obvious reasons.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I know two families that have no father because they stopped to help someone on the highway. Both were killed trying to help.
There was also that one provincial MLA who died a few years back while stopping to render aid: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/albe...rash-1.2671699
Old 01-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Banned

Big respect for anyone who stops to help but for me it's too risky. Same principle as hitchhiking.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepasture View Post
Big respect for anyone who stops to help but for me it's too risky. Same principle as hitchhiking.
I stop but I check out things well before I leave my truck. 'stop and take a knee to assess' lol (mall ninja reference, too funny)

I figure if someone is desperate enough to try and take me on when I stop to help I may as well be ready. Knife in pocket or breaker bar in back seat pocket kind of thing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-02-2020, 02:33 PM

I have stopped several times to assist people, but I am much more leery at night, after an experience near Lac La Biche, where several apparently drunk people started to get out and come towards me when I approached the vehicle.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:44 PM

A few years ago, had a driver pull his rig over to the side of the road to offer assistance, he was robbed on the spot. A lady at the wheel, got out and waved him in, when he approached the vehicle 3 guys get out and rough him up then take his wallet. People are leery of assisting others.

BW
Old 01-02-2020, 02:56 PM

If it’s safe to assist I will pull someone out more often than not. Unless I see them being irresponsible. I know that’s very subjective, but stupid is as stupid does. I just pulled a young lady out of the ditch before Christmas. Was slick and snowing/blowing on the highway. I was turning off and waiting to get through the line of oncoming traffic. Saw her coming up and she started losing it quite aways back. Not like she was caught off guard at the last moment. She passed me on the shoulder doing 360s and went into the ditch. Thought for sure she was going to hit me but didn’t. She was rattled and bawling. Offered to help her and she accepted but said her Dad was on the way. So I hooked up and got her back up onto an approach. All was well and she was very thankful. Her Dad pulls up in a minivan and proceeds to lose it on her for hitting the ditch and then having a stranger help her out. He never said a word to me; not a thank you or a screw off. I was a little taken aback by that part of the scenario. Long story short, I’ll continue to help folks if I can.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:56 PM

I’m glad your daughter got help.
Unfortunately it’s becoming a dangerous world and stranded lady has been used to lure a victim into stopping.

I stop to help but my wife is instructed not to. She is to keep herself and the kids safe. Call the cops if it’s serious.

Unfortunately it can be a risky situation for the good Samaritan’s
Old 01-02-2020, 03:08 PM

i bought my first 4x4 fresh out of high school in late 70s and have owned one ever since. 4x4's wernt so common then and through the years i have pulled countless people out of the ditch . i have also seen tow truck companies come and go in many of the towns i have lived . flash forward about ten years ago. alternator quits on my truck about 30 miles from home . the closest tow truck i can find is 80 miles away, its a sunday , -20c . while waiting patiently it came to me that these tow companies spend hundreds of thousands of $$ for truck , equipment , safety equip , INSURANCE , advertising ... . and then sit by the phone waiting for work . and the first time it snows some dip shot like me is out pulling everyone out for free . they go broke and when i need a tow truck there are none left in business .
that , along with a few bad experiences and company policies for some of the places i have worked i dont hook onto anyones vehicles anymore . i will stop to make sure everyone is ok and offer to call a tow truck for them but even doing that i had someone get very agitated and violent when i wouldnt pull their stuck vehicle out one time .
there is a thread on here about " how prepared are you on the road " . you had better be prepared for everything because you are on your own . watch the weather and if in new area where you dont know anyone , travel during the day .
Old 01-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
A few years ago, had a driver pull his rig over to the side of the road to offer assistance, he was robbed on the spot. A lady at the wheel, got out and waved him in, when he approached the vehicle 3 guys get out and rough him up then take his wallet. People are leery of assisting others.

BW
Scary that this is happening more and more. Women as a decoy. Then when a woman like the OP's daughter is in need, some won't take the chance. I can understand that part.

I still like to stop but it is always on my mind these days and luckily, all have been in the daylight so you can see if something funny is going on.

The old farmer with a round bale in his box that my son and I pulled out of the ditch around 9 pm last winter while returning from a sled ride was an easy case of ya were safe lol.

Glad your daughter got some help OP. I know I would be thinking the same if it was my daughter.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:25 PM

I have to ask why your daughter was on the phone with you and not calling a tow truck. I get why people are reluctant to pull over for a woman waving at them given how many people have been mugged, killed by other vehicles or killed by the person waving them down. The couple and the professor killed by Liard that prompted the huge manhunt stopped to help.

The other side of the issue, who knows what some stranger stopping has in mind. Not like u being on the phone would change much. Both for your daughter and those passing by, far safer to call for assistance.

That said, I still stop and help people in trouble but I am a heck of a lot more careful about it than I used to be.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:53 PM

We were coming back from holidays in our motor home just east of Jasper and were flagged down by a young lady. Turns out she was coming back from Minnesota visiting her sister and on the way back to Alaska where her husband was stationed at the Air Force Base.
She stopped at night at a turnoff after driving almost non stop to have a snooze but forgot to shut off her headlights, and drained the battery. We were the only ones to stop to help her. I decided to try out one of those little portable 1200ma car battery jump starters i had on board. While I was fumbling with it (never used it myself), she grabbed it out of my hand, installed it properly, and started her car. I says where did you learn how to do that. She says her father and husband taught her about cars. We invited her to have breakfast with us but she said she had to try get home that night. What a lucky husband she had.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:01 PM

I have to stop but I scan the situation. I travel a lot and there is always someone in need in rural parts of the province. I'm a little cautious in the summer because its not a life or death situation but in the winter it can be. As others, I travel prepared, there's always a rifle of some sort in the vehicle, baton, bats, 1" extension ratchet, golf clubs and even bear spray when I used to guide...…..lol Never take payment, I just ask them to pay it forward if its safe for them.

You sure see some strange situations. One lady was stuck on side of the road, she pulled over a little too far to use her cell phone. Went to take off and I guess she spun further into the ditch and into the snow. So I stopped and asked if she was ok, she said she was but was stuck, so I told here I'd try pushing her by hand because I didn't think it was stuck enough......no go. Then I decided to watch here rock the truck back and forth, only rear wheels were spinning. I told her to put the truck in 4x4, she said what's that.....? lol I looked underneath to make sure it was a 4x4......in case they put the wrong badging on the truck....so I pointer her to the little knob on the dash.....

Have changed many a tire for women with flats...…..some dont have spare tires but I carry a compressor and plug kit which I've had to use on a few occasions...…

Glad your daughter was able to get help...…..and who else should she phone but here father...!
Old 01-02-2020, 04:27 PM

I'm glad your daughter was able to get help.

It does seem to be a lot more risky these days and lots of people are on guard.
It's sad that its gotten to this point.

95% of the driving I do is alone and I can't drive by someone in need but I am a lot more careful when I have my wife and kids with me and will drive by if it doesn't look like a life or death situation.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:36 PM

Lots of comments already and I read most of em pretty close. One thing that a lot of people forget about is the traction control needs to be shut off and often that’s enough to get you out.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Lots of comments already and I read most of em pretty close. One thing that a lot of people forget about is the traction control needs to be shut off and often that’s enough to get you out.
Many people have no idea what traction control is.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Banned

Im glad to hear someone stopped to help out. If I have someone with me I always stop to help unless it’s a hitch hiker.

I was born in the 70’s and was taught to do good things for people and help out when I can but today’s generation is completely out of control and I’m growing hesitant on putting my cheap life on the line to help a stranger out.

Sad times really
Old 01-02-2020, 05:22 PM

Glad your daughter got the help she needed.

Unfortunately in this day and age there is a lot of liability involved when you help someone out. If you damage their vehicle you could be held liable. There's always the possibility its a setup to rob you or worse. Even stopping traffic or working near it has certain risks. Its sad but I can understand why people no longer want to stop.

Im the person that usually stops to help and most of the time nothing major happens. I carry traffic cones in the back of my truck. I also have an orange strobe light on the roof. This certainly helps when working in traffic but every one of my cones has been hit by drivers who don't pay attention. You would be amazed how many people think they only have to slow down when the lights are flashing red or blue. Once I even had the pleasure of being clipped by a side view mirror when someone drove over my cones and flares after I had closed the lane to traffic while rendering assistance at an accident. That driver didn't even have the courtesy to stop. I've been trained to work in traffic, the average citizen is not so there is lots of risk associated.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Used to stop all the time, now a days, nope. Only time I will stop is for another biker or out hunting. On the highway, not a chance. Not worth my life, I want to get home to my wife and kids.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 PM

Any man who drives by a women clearly in distress is not a man.
Sorry your daughter had to lose a little more faith in humanity.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:44 PM

Default Help on the highway

I personally would try to help out a young lady if she was in trouble. On the other hand, a couple of years ago near Bashaw, a young women was supposedly broke down on the highway, and when a guy stopped to help her, two guys jumped up out of the ditch. They not only robbed him, but he got stabbed several times while he was trying to do a good deed.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:11 PM

My Son and I take a yearly trip to Slave lake for some fishing from Calgary to visit a buddy for a weekend in March. We took highway 44 on the way up and i believe sometime after Westlock, a truck (1\2 TON) came around a corner and slid into the ditch on our side...I never realized how close to a head on collision till after we left. The weather and the highway's were ****ty. I pulled over and noticed a 17 year old girl crying and on her phone already. She said she was ok and had her parents on the phone already and told me lived a couple miles away and her parents were on the way....There was no way my tow rope would reach in the ditch...Now, our safety was in jeaporady as there was really no shoulders and the frickin semis would not slow down...MAN was I ****ed at that...I knew she was safe, but we could of been hit....

Never forget that day....