Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Default Future Job

I am thinking of going to college to be a fish and wildlife officer. If anyone is a F&W officer and could answer some questions for me that would be great. Just pm me, thanks
Dakotah
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned

I would not reccomend it. Apperantly it is quite the waiting list and most people who graduate don't even wind up working in the industry.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM

http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Conte...8064&SNT_ID=25

hope that helps
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Don't let anyone discourage you by saying there no jobs, etc. I listened to these people and changed after my first year of college, wish I hadn't now. More than a few of the guys and girls I went to college with are now full time fish and wildlife officers in Nunavut, nwt, Manitoba, sask, ab and bc. These people were in college in the last 5-6 years so don't let anyone discourage you if this is what you want to do.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Don't let anyone discourage you by saying there no jobs, etc. I listened to these people and changed after my first year of college, wish I hadn't now. More than a few of the guys and girls I went to college with are now full time fish and wildlife officers in Nunavut, nwt, Manitoba, sask, ab and bc. These people were in college in the last 5-6 years so don't let anyone discourage you if this is what you want to do.
Thanks, kinda got my heart set on this. They are predicting to have lots more jobs in the next few years, so by the time in done college.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinCrazyy View Post
Thanks, kinda got my heart set on this. They are predicting to have lots more jobs in the next few years, so by the time in done college.
If you feel this is something that you'll love doing then I say go for it. When you love your job, life is so much better. It took me years to land the job of my dreams, life seems so much more rewarding when you're doing something you love.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya, I had meant Alberta, Obviously if you want to leave the province there would be work. It also does not seem like a job that you could afford to do much with. Don't get me wrong, If i did not have to worry about money, It would be my dream job, It truly would be. I just can't have a job where the top pay is 50k a year. Just doesnt seem feasible in this province. Sask, Mb and NWT are alot more affordable to live in.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM

Default Pay grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Ya, I had meant Alberta, Obviously if you want to leave the province there would be work. It also does not seem like a job that you could afford to do much with. Don't get me wrong, If i did not have to worry about money, It would be my dream job, It truly would be. I just can't have a job where the top pay is 50k a year. Just doesnt seem feasible in this province. Sask, Mb and NWT are alot more affordable to live in.
The guys I have talked to say the average wage is about 80k
4 years of school not a bad way to go, outdoors all the time seeing the animals etc
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
NWT more affordable to live in? Sask and Manitoba I'll give you but not NWT, and don't forget the extra taxes in the provinces......it adds up.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree completely. If you REALLY want it...persistance will pay off.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
X2. Do it. Everyone has heard complaints of running into a bad one, go do it and be one of the good ones.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I am thinking of going to college to be a fish and wildlife officer. If anyone is a F&W officer and could answer some questions for me that would be great. Just pm me, thanks
Dakotah
FWIW

A friend of mine works for F & W, but not in enforcement. Now he has a dream job! Heading out doing fish studies in the middle of nowhere, fishing in the evenings in a lake that he was floatplaned into.

Listening to his stories hardly seems like work to me.

Have you thought about other jobs other than enforcement but still in this field?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
FWIW

A friend of mine works for F & W, but not in enforcement. Now he has a dream job! Heading out doing fish studies in the middle of nowhere, fishing in the evenings in a lake that he was floatplaned into.

Listening to his stories hardly seems like work to me.

Have you thought about other jobs other than enforcement but still in this field?

I havent really looked at all the different jobs underneath fish&wildlife completely yet. Over Christmas is my plan to get everything sorted out and done with. After then I will know for sure. What does your friend do for F&W?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I havent really looked at all the different jobs underneath fish&wildlife completely yet. Over Christmas is my plan to get everything sorted out and done with. After then I will know for sure. What does your friend do for F&W?
He is now a biologist BUT, he wasn't when he started and has taken several courses since starting. I don't think he has a science degree, he has just taken the necessary training while working. But don't qoute me.
I know that sounds intimidating, but again, he worked his way into the job he wanted.

He spends a ton of time in the bush floatplane/heli, likely 3 months a year. He does a lot of fish netting and inspects the fish and similar things with wildlife. I know he has tranked a lot of moose and bear. He does a lot of environmental inspections too.

He loves his job, and I am jealous.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
He is now a biologist BUT, he wasn't when he started and has taken several courses since starting. I don't think he has a science degree, he has just taken the necessary training while working. But don't qoute me.
I know that sounds intimidating, but again, he worked his way into the job he wanted.

He spends a ton of time in the bush floatplane/heli, likely 3 months a year. He does a lot of fish netting and inspects the fish and similar things with wildlife. I know he has tranked a lot of moose and bear. He does a lot of environmental inspections too.

He loves his job, and I am jealous.
Thought so, sounds like the kinda thing that I would end up doing. Like I said, still more digging to do but this is something I would enjoy. I would rather do something that I would love and make less money than do something I don't enjoy and make more.