Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-14-2020, 05:29 PM

Default Eskimo HC propane 40cc

Happened to come across this auger on clearance at Peavy Mart in Sherwood Park on facebook for $299.00. Had one left and the only way to get it was to drive to my closest Peavy Mart ( High River). Gunned it out there and paid for it and they are going to transfer it down to High River. I have had a jiffy gas auger for about 8 years now and runs fine...But can't afford to keep both.LOL.

Will have to test and see which one I am going to sell.

Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2020, 05:39 PM

I had one but turned out to be too heavy for an old guy like me.

good luck with it. Heck of a price
Old 11-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Haven't used the Eskimo version but we have a Jiffy propane and it's been a great unit. Had to replace the fuel line at one point, as it was leaking at the brass fitting, but other than that it's been flawless. Starts easy every time and have never had an issue with it not starting in the cold.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:14 PM

Thanks guys,

Can't wait to test it out. I just had to scoop it up for the price.LOL..

Easier to keep bottles of propane warmer than my whole head unit sitting in my truck on the drive staying warm.

By the way, can you use a hose and a 11lber tank with these augers?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:16 PM

Default Eskimo H40

I have had one of these for 6 years now with 8 and 10” flight. The auger starts good and works great. I can drill a lot of holes with the little bottle but have been told you can run the big bottles also if you get the fitting. I find it much easier to carry the little bottles than the bigger bottles but that is my preference. I carry the head in the truck and carry 4 bottles in an insulated soft side cooler and have never had an issue starting the auger. I love the ability to drill in the tent and carry in the truck with no gas fumes. Never having to mix gas is also a bonus. They work well and I sure like mine.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:51 AM

I've had mine 5yrs now, the 10". Works great. I wouldn't bother with the larger tank as the 1lb last a long time, just keep a second bottle on hand. One bit of advise, follow the instructions that come with it. Makes a huge difference in how well it runs in very cold temps.