Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Default Battery Type for Humminbird Helix 7 Mega SI GPS G3N Ice Conversion Kit

Hey guys . I just bought the Ice conversion kit for my Humminbird Helix 7 Mega SI GPS G3N. I love how the Ice fishing mode with the flasher looks and works. What battery do I need to get for it ?
Old 12-30-2019, 01:20 AM

I would go with a Dakota lithium I have one for my Helix 7 and absolutely love it lasts way longer then any other battery I've used
Old 12-30-2019, 03:52 AM

You either need a fair size battery or be willing to chew through smaller SLA's. Using two smaller SLA's in parallel might get you through most of a day without draining the batteries too much.

Lithium is far nicer due to light weight but you will pay a fair bit for it.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:49 AM

I find if u turn down the lighting on any fishfinder, it helps a lot.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:20 PM

I’m running two SLA’s, and with the brightness turned down, one battery will last me a full day of fishing. Thinking of shelling out the cash for a Dakota Lithium though...
Old 12-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Now that the lithiums are more readily available up here and a more reasonable $130 bucks IIRC I would definitely go lithium the next time I replace mine. I have 2 9 amp and I always have both but if I keep the brightness down a bit I can make it through the day or most of it. I also have a 12 amp but don't like carrying the extra weight in my backpack case so I use the 9 amp and just switch it out if I need later in the day.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:50 PM

The biggest problem with the small SLA's is that they aren't supposed to be drained down to empty like so many people do. Doing so greatly reduces their lifespan which is why they have to be replaced so often.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:24 PM

I've shopped every where for the Dakota Battery and charger. All on back order. Cabelas says they don't have a clue when they are coming in. How many hours of use would you get on a helix 7 on the regular lead acid battery? As an alternative I was thinking of the interstate 12V-10ah lead acid . Does any one here know of any where that has the Dakota battery and charger available?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:32 PM

Well I've got a small sla, 6ah and it will run my helix 10 g2n for about 3h and that's running the battery dead. I've got a 18ah on order but still waiting so I got the 6ah one to tide me over and thought it would be a good backup for longer trips but I'm not sure it will now. I'm glad I've got an 18ah lithium on order that's for sure!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:45 AM

Default Battery Type for Humminbird Helix 7 Mega SI GPS G3N Ice Conversion Kit

Cabelas had the Dakota Lithium’s on sale back at the end of Oct. I picked up a 10 Amp Hour for my Helix 5 PT and I’ve yet to run it dead in a couple days fishing. The one thing I’ve noticed is the battery meter on the unit says 100% for the entire day. I suspect is will go from 100 to 0 almost immediately when it does get fully discharged.

I also bought the charger at Cabelas at the same time as they were on sale too. It was the North Edmonton store and they had 4 or 5 at the time. I do wish they had a better way to connect the charger. Those little alligator clips are finicky to connect inside the case.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-31-2019, 06:29 AM

I was fishing with my brother who has a helix 7 and I have a helix 5. Battery usage was an issue with his so I had him turn down the screen brightness and made a huge difference. I believe he is running a 7 amp/ hr as well.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:51 AM

Reviving an old post: The 2020 Dakota lithium batteries are on sale now at Cabela's! One week only!
Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Bought one for my Helix 7 last year, and I just picked up another one for my second unit I'll be using this winter as well! Worth every penny.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:45 AM

like most have said, lithium is the way to go. lighter for hole hoping and the longevity of them. I know some batteries cannot be on their side for extended periods of time but that isnt an issue for the lithium batteries. I know
Dakota Lithium extended their warranty to 10+ years compared to the 2ish years they had before.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:47 PM

I can run my garmin striker 5 for about 6-7 hours on a 10ah $25 battery depending on temperature. It has low voltage detection and as soon as it hits that I shut it off....it very well could run another hour after that but I dont like completely draining the battery. The battery I use is 2 years old and hasnt seemed to slow down much. Some day I'll possibly upgrade to a lithium but for now I can buy a lot of $25 batteries before coming close to the price of a lithium.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:47 PM

The Dakota 10ah lithium I picked up on sale today was $115 (reg $140) There were about 15 left & told they are selling like hotcakes!

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/130371...-10-ah-battery