Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2020, 02:55 PM

Default trying to figure out boats

I am looking for a smaller no frills boat just for the wife, dog, and me to enjoy. Lets see if I got this figured out... please correct me if wrong as I have always just rented a boat so far.

14 ft will be okay on bigger lakes like cold lake
10 or above hp and you need to register it. Its a 1 time fee
9.9 hp you dont need to register

boat insurance is optional regardless of motor hp
the boat when on the trailer is under the vehicle insurance towing it.

trailers are insured with a 1 time fee
Old 09-11-2020, 03:09 PM

Do you mean 'trailers are REGISTERED with a one time fee' ?
Old 09-11-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Do you mean 'trailers are REGISTERED with a one time fee' ?
yes I did.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:56 PM

Default figure out boats

while a 14 may seem like enough you will probably find soon enough it isnt. I do a lot of boating started with a 14 shallow springbok 3 excursions was 2 to many. If I was going out on water bigger than the average slough I would recomend the following wide and deep (lots of free board) also high transom as oppsed to short (keeps waves out when back trolling or when you have to travel with the wind in a pinch) width makes a very stable boat ( your dog wont likely be the only one who does'nt stay seated all the time) and when you lean over the side to retrieve it ( the dog because it jumped out when a loon suddenly surfaced beside the boat) stability will be a must. A 16" would be minimum for space reasons fish gear beach gear diving gear whatever. Yes you wont be the fastest on the lake with a 9.9 but you will be comfortable. Boats I recomend would be Naden, (if you can find a good used one) an older Starcraft they have a very good hull design slips through the water very easily. Sorry for the long post
Old 09-11-2020, 05:59 PM

You can have a 24ft boat on Cold Lake and get into trouble. Regardless of the size/type of the boat you need to be aware of the forecast/conditions and monitor it often. A bunch of guys fish Cold Lake with Kayaks so anything is do-able.

14ft is a nice entry into owning a boat and can be fished on any water body in this province when the conditions are appropriate. Not to big so you can get into smaller water bodies easier and even switch to an electric for potholes. Can be launched solo. Nice and flexible won’t break the bank.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:12 PM

16 foot Lund SSV with 40 horses on it. Done!
Old 09-11-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Couldn't agree more...truth is, most fish can be boated successfully from a rig like this. No, it will not be ideal for all days, lakes, conditions etc. etc. but it's a pretty good all round set-up, and easy to launch, load n store.

Always max out the HP.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
YUP ............ an excellent set up.

I wouldn't bother with a 14' when a 16' is wider, longer and only 80-90 lbs heavier. 16' is perfect for two people, gear and a dog.

I would also insist on a 20" transom - that 5" of insurance that could save your life.

Last edited by EZM; 09-11-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:51 PM

I've got a 14 foot Lund SSV . I ALWAYS WUSH I WENT TO A 16.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
I've got a 14 foot Lund SSV . I ALWAYS WUSH I WENT TO A 16.
I almost bought a 14 so happy I didn’t!
Old 09-11-2020, 08:44 PM

A 14' is a puddle jumper and it won't be long until you are trading up.
There is a reason when you are cruising the market for used boats and find out there is a ton of boats 16' and under and a pile of boats 22' and over. The market between 17' and 21' is scare with good ones and this is where you should be looking because this is where everyone eventually ends up. Might as well bite the paddle and do it right the first time. There is no money in flipping boats. My 2 cents.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I am looking for a smaller no frills boat just for the wife, dog, and me to enjoy. Lets see if I got this figured out... please correct me if wrong as I have always just rented a boat so far.

14 ft will be okay on bigger lakes like cold lake
10 or above hp and you need to register it. Its a 1 time fee
9.9 hp you dont need to register

boat insurance is optional regardless of motor hp
the boat when on the trailer is under the vehicle insurance towing it.

trailers are insured with a 1 time fee
There are a few issues with the above. The insurance vs registration was fixed. The 14 ft on cold lake is way off base. I just spent a week up there in some of the strongest wind I have ever fished in. I was blessed to have a tutor with me who has spent his entire life on big water. What he taught me in three days of bad weather is the most valuable fishing info I have ever learned. My boat is over powered and it was fantastic to have that power. I could not fish as I had to drive the boat but he did for over an hour before he said it was time to go in, the swells were starting to break on the top. I doubt a 14 ft tiller Would have made it back to shore so if a 14 ft tiller is your choice for big water then be very careful and don’t head too far from shore. Now if you want to fish normal sized lakes, then your good but slave, Newell, cold, even mcgregar need some care.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
YUP ............ an excellent set up.

I wouldn't bother with a 14' when a 16' is wider, longer and only 80-90 lbs heavier. 16' is perfect for two people, gear and a dog.

I would also insist on a 20" transom - that 5" of insurance that could save your life.
X1 especially the transom height. Anyone thats had following waves breaking over the back of your boat will understand that.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:30 PM

No one has asked, so I will. What kind of waters are you wanting to fish?

If you want to fish small HP limited lakes for trout, you will want something small enough to carry in and out for those lakes where the launch is poor. A 12’ rated for a 9.9 hp max would be great for this.

If you want to fish southern reservoirs or bigger lakes, you will likely want something in the 17-18’ range, or larger.

Everything else is on a spectrum in between.

I currently have a 12ft with a 9.9 and an electric for trout, a 16ft with a 25 for northern remote lakes, and a 20ft with a 250 for the “big stuff”.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have other questions. Happy to help.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-11-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
No one has asked, so I will. What kind of waters are you wanting to fish?

If you want to fish small HP limited lakes for trout, you will want something small enough to carry in and out for those lakes where the launch is poor. A 12’ rated for a 9.9 hp max would be great for this.

If you want to fish southern reservoirs or bigger lakes, you will likely want something in the 17-18’ range, or larger.

Everything else is on a spectrum in between.

I currently have a 12ft with a 9.9 and an electric for trout, a 16ft with a 25 for northern remote lakes, and a 20ft with a 250 for the “big stuff”.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have other questions. Happy to help.

SS

We didn’t ask because he told us,,, “bigger lakes like Cold lake”
Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
We didn’t ask because he told us,,, “bigger lakes like Cold lake”

I interpreted that as thinking a 14 foot is good for everything, even Cold Lake.

OP, please chime in with where you plan to fish.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:37 AM

Interesting, I too have had the larger boats. Started with an 18 went down to a 16 and after 20yrs have gone done to a 14.

The 14 is a tiller but also a fishing boat not a tinny. It has all the stuff my 16 had, ie: live well storage ect. Handles the wind not bad but I no longer fish my favorite lake in Alberta. Minnewonka. If you have ever been on the far end when the wind comes up you will know wy I won't go with my new tiller.

I went down strickly because as i have continued into my senior yrs. I wanted something easier for me to load and unload by myself that being said it took me quite some time to get handle on driving the boat onto the trailer. Bit diiferent when you are at the back of the boat vs. steering wheel which I miss a lot but the 14ft side consuls are just way too small floor space for me.

As I have gotten used to the smaller boat I appreciate it more. Do I miss the bigger, you bet but I also have to be mindful of my limitations. getting older is not all that bad. Sure beats the alternative.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I interpreted that as thinking a 14 foot is good for everything, even Cold Lake.

OP, please chime in with where you plan to fish.

The idea I had is this.
Smaller waters and electric only i do have a pontoon boat that I can toss on a electric motor if needed. But I definitely dont want to be out on bigger stuff with it. But small/medium it's good.
Also I have to be solo in it. This would be the swiss army knife of boats. Can do smaller water electric only, but also be okay on larger lakes. I do know any boat can get into trouble as well. And I understand like a swiss army knife it can do it all, but isnt the best as a dedicated knife/boat would be.

Just feel like actually getting into some bigger lakes and taking the family to relax.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:19 PM

Sell the pontoon; buy a canoe and a 16 foot tinner. A shallow narrow 14 will not be what you want. A deep and wide 14 would be too heavy to be suitable for potholes.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Sell the pontoon; buy a canoe and a 16 foot tinner. A shallow narrow 14 will not be what you want. A deep and wide 14 would be too heavy to be suitable for potholes.

The frameless pontoon is exactly what I want for fly fishing potholes and tossing in the car when I dont need to take the truck. So no not selling that.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
The idea I had is this.
Smaller waters and electric only i do have a pontoon boat that I can toss on a electric motor if needed. But I definitely dont want to be out on bigger stuff with it. But small/medium it's good.
Also I have to be solo in it. This would be the swiss army knife of boats. Can do smaller water electric only, but also be okay on larger lakes. I do know any boat can get into trouble as well. And I understand like a swiss army knife it can do it all, but isnt the best as a dedicated knife/boat would be.

Just feel like actually getting into some bigger lakes and taking the family to relax.

If you are wanting to take the family and go on reasonably sized lakes I would say the minimum length you want is 16 ft.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:33 PM

I think EVERY man deserves a few boats to match to each situation - but, we all don't have the space in the garage, or the money in our pockets ..... lol

But, if you want the most cost effective, big lake, little pothole lake, river and everything one boat and you are trailering it anyways - then a 16 ft, 20"transom, and 25-40 hp is ideal in my mind.

You just have to cautious and cognoscente of the weather in any small vessel. But with a 20" transom and a heavier wider and longer boat with a flat floor - the extra stability and safety are huge.

I've had a dozen of these boats over the years and the floor is a must have for me. When I didn't have the bucks, I just made one myself from regular plywood, painted (and sand textured) my own.

I also prefer Honda (or Yamaha) outboards - simply because of the bullet proof reliability. They truly are worth it - simple like a sewing machine, and when you pull the cord - it starts ......... every time.

I hear the new mercs (Tohatsu) are better now as well - but until they age and mature, the jury is still out for me. I don't need a workout every time my merc needs to be started.

See this review (scroll down to the 16' SSV) it someone from Sherwood Park actually - and he's 100% spot on.

https://www.sportfishermanscenter.co...--boat-reviews

Last edited by EZM; 09-12-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:36 PM

After reading everyone's opinion it seems like I should go for a 12ft. Haha I will start to look around for a good deal on a 16.
Thanks everyone!
Old 09-12-2020, 10:21 PM

I think folks are pretty bang on with a 16' utility type boat as what you are looking for but honestly if you do your research on what things are worth and happen to come across a 14' with a 15 or 20 hp motor that is a good deal that would probably do you fine. The utility type boats from 14' to 16' generally have pretty similar beam and that is what you will feel most as far as stability is concerned especially only with two people.

My personal "swiss army" boat is a starcraft 14' which is identical to a legend wide body. I've been pretty happy with it and the abuse it's put up with but it only has the split seats in the back where an SSV has the walk through middle bench as well which would be really nice. Don't use it as much any more but it is just so handy I don't think I'll ever sell it. One thing that is really nice about it (and an SSV has this as well) is a true v hull. The deadrise is very slight but trust me it makes a world of difference that you can feel in your pants when going through chop vs a mod v that flattens out at the back. That is another thing to pay attention to, if you go used and opt for an SSV the older ones are a mod V.

As nice as it is to have a boat with all the bells and whistles there is a lot of advantages with a simple utility boat. They are so easy and cheap to power, nimble, and basically maintenance free. There is also a lot of advantages to running a bigger boat with the big beams if you are willing to utilize them. People buy big boats to keep them out longer and feel safer in adverse conditions but it always surprises me how many stay on shore anyways even though they have the boat to handle it.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:25 PM

I had an older 14' starcraft tinner, it was ok for 2 people and the dog, but was a little cramped with all my tackle boxes, cooler, etc. I have tried to bring less tackle boxes......................just did not seem to work though! It was ok in rough stormy weather, but one had to be careful though, being a short shaft transom boat, the water would swamp the back of the boat when comming in back into shore during crappy weather, or back trolling with a slight wind, etc. It was not overly wide though. As others have mentioned though, it was fairly easy to load, and with a 30 HP 2 stroke, went plenty fast enough. The deciding factor to switch up to a biger boat though was consatantly having to step over the seats, and not enough room for extended day trips, etc.

I upgraded to a 16'2" mirror craft laker 3673 with an open fllor plan, no seats to step over any more! 33" bow depth, 20" transom, 74" beam, 3 seating stations, Livewell, plenty of storage. Put a 50 HP 4 stroke tohatsu on the back end, the 50HP was the same wieght as the 40 HP anyways.

The boat has ample room for 2 poeple, and the Dog, and all my 2 many tackle boxes, cooler, and all the gear for an extended day trip out on the water.

I was quite impressed on how easy of fuel the boat is, and is quite capable in a little less than perfect weather, if you keep your wits about you!

Its heavier than the old 14' satrcraft rocket for sure, but way more comfy!

I have seen a few used mirrorcraft lakers for sale, but they go quite fast, good luck in your search, this time of the year should be good to find a suitable boat for your needs!

Last edited by KUDUHNTR; 09-13-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:35 PM

I had an older 14' starcraft tinner, it was ok for 2 people and the dog, but was a little cramped with all my tackle boxes, cooler, etc. I have tried to bring less tackle boxes......................just did not seem to work though! It was ok in rough stormy weather, but one had to be careful though, being a short shaft transom boat, the water would swamp the back of the boat when comming comming into shore during crappy weather, or back trolling with a slight wind, etc. It was not overly wide though. As others have mentioned though, it was fairly easy to load, and with a 30 HP 2 stroke, went plenty fast enough. The deciding factor to switch up to a biger boat though was constantly having to step over the seats, and not enough room for extended day trips, etc.

I upgraded to a 16'2" mirror craft laker 3673 with an open fllor plan, no seats to step over any more! 33" bow depth, 20" transom, 74" beam, 3 seating stations, Livewell, plenty of storage. Put a 50 HP 4 stroke tohatsu on the back end, the 50HP was the same wieght as the 40 HP anyways.

The boat has ample room for 2 poeple, and the Dog, and all my 2 many tackle boxes, cooler, and all the gear for an extended day trip out on the water.

I was quite impressed on how easy of fuel the boat is, and is quite capable in a little less than perfect weather, if you keep your wits about you!

Its heavier than the old 14' satrcraft rocket for sure, but way more comfy!

I have seen a few used mirrorcraft lakers for sale, but they go quite fast, good luck in your search, this time of the year should be good to find a suitable boat for your needs!

I have attached some pictures f the boat, and Shadow my dog to give you an idea of how this boat has worked good for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06608.jpg (65.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06338.JPG (108.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg boat.jpg (26.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5767.JPG (108.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5364.jpg (31.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by KUDUHNTR; 09-13-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:36 PM

Default Oppps

Double post, my bad!
Old 09-13-2020, 08:53 PM

I used to have a nice 14 ft aluminum back in the day when the kids were small with a 20hp merc. Went anywhere and everywhere with it. High or low water, no boat launches etc.

I convinced myself bigger is better and found a great deal on a 16.5 ft trihull with a 50hp and a 15. I hardly ever take it out any longer and plan to sell it sooner than later and go back to the 14ft aluminum concept.
Southern Alberta which we fish mostly is not that friendly to bigger heavy boats in a lot of the smaller reservoirs we fish. If the weather is that bad we get right off the lake or go hide until things subside.
There is no right answer unfortunately. A lot depends on how and where you fish. In a perfect world for around here I would have one of each style to cover it all but having done this a few times over the last 40 years or do a good deep/wide tinner is my choice around here.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:00 PM

Lots of previous chats about this you can look up...

But any size of boat will be fine on any lake on a perfect weather day, so i wouldnt use size of the boat as a rule of what lake. I would base it upon what size of lakes you fish, how often, and what sort of weather you are comfortable fishing in. A 14' with 2 people on lakes with good weather on average no problem. But adding a dog if its decent sized and then adding a bit of bad weather to the mix here and there and i think you will regret not having a 16'. And then you get into motor size stuff, hull depth stuff, option stuff.

Have a really good/realistic sense of what lakes you will fish, what weather youre comfortable in, and how many people most of the time and the size of boat and motor will be more or less answered for you. Respond back on here if you want to let us help better - and also read those previous posts about this stuff, theres lots.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2020, 09:38 PM

Been in some pretty tough water with mine, 1992 16' Smokercraft Alaskan with a long shaft 15 Honda, no problems in 10 yrs. Boat was used on Babine and Ft St james for 10 yrs before that. $4 gr. invested in it.