Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 PM

Default Self-climbing Treestands

Who uses self-climbing treestands, and what do you like or dislike about them? Thinking of buying one and trying it out this early fall.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Banned

One of huntings best gadgets.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Default ?

Any info on what brand you use, how heavy, what you are hunting out of it? I'm a born-again bowhunter, and haven't used a bow since the late '80's, lots of new stuff happened to compound bows since then. I only hunted deer from the ground and didn't spend enough time to be successful. Hope to try for moose this year.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:58 PM

Pros: can climb really high if necessary. Can change position/trees/locations quickly.

Cons: noisy. Time consuming. Getting sweaty right before hunting. Have to clear branches on the way up.

If you hunt in a place with lots of tall straight trees that have few branches, they work awesome. If not, get a light weight hang on stand with 4-5 climbing sticks.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 PM

If you decide to go the climber route I would recommend the Summit Viper. I bought this one a couple of years ago and it is solid, quiet, and easy to use.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:51 PM

I have both. I like to leave stands in trees that I use frequently..... and I like to have a climber for places that I go to for the first time or infrequently. Setting up hang on stands for one time hunt is a pita. Lugging around a heavy climbing stand every time you use the same tree is a pita.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Default Climbing stands

I really, really .ike to use a climbing stand to hang my regular stands. It gives a nice stable platform to work from, it doesn't always make sense to do it like that but when it does its great.

Want a good lightweight climbing stand look at the "X" stand. It's the lightest on the market and quiet too.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Pros: can climb really high if necessary. Can change position/trees/locations quickly.

Cons: noisy. Time consuming. Getting sweaty right before hunting. Have to clear branches on the way up.

If you hunt in a place with lots of tall straight trees that have few branches, they work awesome. If not, get a light weight hang on stand with 4-5 climbing sticks.
X2. They also blow goats when all you have is smooth barked aspen (potential fast ride down).
Old 02-23-2014, 12:50 PM

Thanks, guys for the experienced info I was looking for - my style will most likely be one time/infrequent set ups.
Good to know especially about smooth-barked trees - wouldn't want to get blowed by a goat all the way to the ground on a cold day. lol

odsixer - I went to Cabela's yesterday to buy a block target and took a good look at the Viper and Cobra stands - really couldn't tell the difference between the two, they both weighed 18 pounds. Another model there weighed 22 pounds.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Thanks, guys for the experienced info I was looking for - my style will most likely be one time/infrequent set ups.
Good to know especially about smooth-barked trees - wouldn't want to get blowed by a goat all the way to the ground on a cold day.lol

odsixer - I went to Cabela's yesterday to buy a block target and took a good look at the Viper and Cobra stands - really couldn't tell the difference between the two, they both weighed 18 pounds. Another model there weighed 22 pounds.
ROFL!!!!!! BEST RESPONSE EVER!!!! that's going in my sig line.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM

We have vast amounts of planted pine down here, climbers are noisy and branches are a
problem, so either you find a poplar or cedar next to the pines or put up a blind or stalk/still hunt.

A lot of folks here use ladder stands on the pines, but the deer know it.
Took me a while to figure out the best place to stand was about a 50 to 70 yards from a ladder stand
someone put up last year.

The deer come in looking up.