Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 AM

Jaimie...Did you ever think of running for a seat with the PC's............you have the knack........

Anyways, I'd like to add my 2 cents on some of the comments in your post. You said.........
" Like I have said before, I just don't understand why so many people are against the outfitter industry. It is a valuable part of the hunting scene here in Alberta."
This is probably due to the fact that there is basically no " real " action take against an outfitter when he/she decides to bend the rules. Take the guy down south that was in a whole world of crap a few years back. What repercussions did he receive? Did he loose any allocations.........nope. Did he get booted out of APOS..........nope. I believe that thier charter says something to the effect of..........
" a member ,or anyone employed by a member, shall not breach, encourage or condone any violation of the Alberta Wildlife Act and regulations"
or...........
" A member shall also respect the activities and needs of the resident hunter by not initiating or soliciting for exclusive use of any wildlife resource or access"
From where I'm standing, there seems to be a fair bit of this stuff going on, but what repercusions are there when it does happen? The outfitter in Westlock that got caught poaching, or encouraging poaching of a mule deer got bugger all for it. His clients got fined, lost the deer, and couldn't hunt here for a year I believe, if I'm not mistaken, but next week, he's out guiding guys again. This could be the reason that alot of people don't like the
outfitters, or the society, for that matter. I realize that there are alot of honest and hardworking guys out there trying to make a living at outfitting, but I happen to believe that there are lot of shady charactors out there too.

" Perhaps if we give a little, we get a little. Compromise can be a good thing"

When does the average joe quit giving up stuff, for the good of all?

" yes I think the present program seems to work. I have some issues with it and would like to see it modified. But its better than no access what so ever "

For the most part, there is no access what so ever. Try getting on the leaseland up around Balloque lake.............not happening, unless you are a buddy, or have a Husky key. Same thing down around Hysler........."nope, not a chance...........already have enough guys hunting"

I don't know what the answers are, but in my opinion,this proposal isn't one of them, not that it matters anyway, because we weren't asked .