Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Trout stocked lakes and ponds.

How often do you fish trout stocked waters?

Do you think they are a "good thing"?

Would it break your heart if there was no more stocking of trout in lakes and ponds in Alberta?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM

for me is i keep wondering why they need to keep stocking these ponds and lakes with that type of trout that can't reproduce. why not choose lakes and ponds that do have the necessary conditions they need like current gravel bars for them to make the redds and such then in my opinion then the stocking could be reduced if lakes and such stock itself. but with the increased angling pressure i wonder if there would be enough left to reproduce. lol. i definately like the stocked ponds and lakes for fly fishing especially when you are praticing a new technique and such, like a few years ago me learning how to cast dry flies. even though the trout were tiny but it gave me great confidence and pleasure in fly casting and keeping me interested in honing my fly rod skills.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Cool

ha ha now that's a good one the fish in central AB would not exist ,bow stocked, red deer stocked. can not think of Any wild stock in central AB job lake ma be. all walleye i can think of off hand stocked, most perch lakes stocked or illegal put in these r the sad examples of how we albertans have looked after our wild resorces ! ANY other place I can think of use sports fish as huge income generator but here we pull the wool over every bodys eyes ! look the bow is world class ! what a joke sewer more like it ! in the summer it actually smells worse than the canals of amsterdam not kidding ! oh now I remember ya u could catch all the pike u want wild wild pike ha fn ha ! sorry man all fished out and those that really care do there best but r such a minority the government dont care! fins &skins in ab have a budget that is also a joke big oil hate fish so no support from them just face b/s the bow is world class c how good we r ! allmost all wild stock trout were wiped out thru oil and logging activity or the access provided thru road building these roads then silt up spawning beds tada no fish that's the sad reality in central AB thank u 4 ur time
Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

Would it break your heart if there was no more stocking of trout in lakes and ponds in Alberta?
UH-OH. That doesnt sound good. Now I dont know who the folk are you run with, but I do know a loaded question when I see one. There is only one place you got this Id bet, and very little question in my mind. Why would they consider this?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
UH-OH. That doesnt sound good. Now I dont know who the folk are you run with, but I do know a loaded question when I see one. There is only one place you got this Id bet, and very little question in my mind. Why would they consider this?
hes gona love my answer then lol
Old 01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

Not a bad idea. There is one qualification.

All trout in Alberta become catch and release, and some areas are open to a draw system in a similar manner to hunting.

Private trout ponds where you pay to catch fish should open.

Then let people catch all the coarse fish they want. When all the coarse fish are gone we will plant trout in those waters.

Just like in europe.... and I see it coming here.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:

I Fish stocked Trout lakes about 10 Times a Year

There not a bad thing

No It would Break my Heart if they quit stocking Trout...............

Bring on the BASS Baby
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM

I think they have their uses, and I must admit, some of my best days fishing have been on stocked ponds. They're especially nice for taking the family out or some friends that have never been out fishing before. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing the bow and some of the bigger lakes, but action can be very hit or miss on them.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

So far, all I've fished this year are stocked ponds; Carson, Miller's, Dolberg. I've enjoyed the experience each time. So far, I think they're a very good thing.

Bobby B.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:

5-10,not often really

No doubt about it.

Yes, and probably a lot more than just mine. Alot of catchin and keepin on those waters. Without them they would likely turn to other species such as walleye, pike and perch(Species that are slower growing and would have a serious impact on those waters). And it may eventually increase the poaching as well.
Cant see it go that route.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM

I'm no expert biologist but if the lakes can't reproduce their populations on their own without stocking, then not stocking them would mean that we wouldn't be able to fish for trout for much longer. At which point we would just have to stock them with something else anyways.

Maybe there is a better way to do it? Like someone mentioned, stocking fish that can reproduce more efficiently (or at all) or maybe adding some restrictions to some of the lakes.

But to be honest, when I take people like my girlfriend out fishing and we go to those lakes and they haul out a dozen little trout, they have a great day and want to go out more and I don't mind it either really, although some bigger trout would be really nice.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

Cool

ok got this worked out

point form so u can all stop riding my A%#

I am well traveled and am saddened by the fact

that most of you spend your time correct ing my grammer

than getting my point

the provinces and states that border alberta

all have world famous fishing

I am saying that our one sumwhat famous river the bow is a sewer

that happens to be stocked as are most bodies of water in central alberta.

if I look at the OP then I ask what fish would we have if not for stocking program to the best of my knoledge none

other than the sturdy pike

I feel the powers that be have an interest out side of what is best for our watersheds
Old 01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

Alberta is a very very dry province.

It has little water compared to anyone north south east and west of the province.

There is your geography lesson for today.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
ok got this worked out

point form so u can all stop riding my A%#

I am well traveled and am saddened by the fact

that most of you spend your time correct ing my grammer

than getting my point

the provinces and states that border alberta

all have world famous fishing

I am saying that our one sumwhat famous river the bow is a sewer

that happens to be stocked as are most bodies of water in central alberta.

if I look at the OP then I ask what fish would we have if not for stocking program to the best of my knoledge none

other than the sturdy pike

I feel the powers that be have an interest out side of what is best for our watersheds
Bro, if we could understand your posts but there was just some grammar mistakes, we could live with that. Unreadable posts that are literally spam, very annoying.

Okay, stocked ponds... Personally I dont fish them much as I prefer pike/perch/burbot/goldeye/walleye/sturgeon.
Only time I normally fish for trout is in mountain streams/rivers. Occasionally hit up a stocked pond in the winter but rarely.

I think they serve a purpose, they are usually close to urban centers and provide a valuable fishery for familes and people who can't get out farther. They also provide a good put and take fishery so that our native species have a shot at survival.
Would I be crushed if they stopped stocked ponds? Yes, but not because I fish them, but because it would put alot more pressure on lakes I enjoy fishing. I can see native fisheries (waterbodies with native species, im not being racist) going downhill FASSSSST if they stop or slow trout stocking in this province.

I dont believe that stocked ponds are managed as well as they could be by SRD, but they still serve a purpose.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Bro, if we could understand your posts but there was just some grammar mistakes, we could live with that. Unreadable posts that are literally spam, very annoying.

Okay, stocked ponds... Personally I dont fish them much as I prefer pike/perch/burbot/goldeye/walleye/sturgeon.
Only time I normally fish for trout is in mountain streams/rivers. Occasionally hit up a stocked pond in the winter but rarely.

I think they serve a purpose, they are usually close to urban centers and provide a valuable fishery for familes and people who can't get out farther. They also provide a good put and take fishery so that our native species have a shot at survival.
Would I be crushed if they stopped stocked ponds? Yes, but not because I fish them, but because it would put alot more pressure on lakes I enjoy fishing. I can see native fisheries (waterbodies with native species, im not being racist) going downhill FASSSSST if they stop or slow trout stocking in this province.

I dont believe that stocked ponds are managed as well as they could be by SRD, but they still serve a purpose.
thank you for your constructive criticism. Can any one tell me of any fish stock in central alberta that has not been stocked not just trout
Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Well travelled? In what regard? What does it have to do with the topic? If you are suggesting a comparison betwen Alberta fisheries and elsewhere, don't be vague, state it clearly so we can benefit from understanding your opinion. If you have extensive experience, please express it in a comprehensible manner. I for one, might be interested in what you have to offer. Deciphering patois is not one of my strengths.

Bobby B.
thank you BB I have had the good fortune to have lived and fished in :
most of europe
australia
new zealand
both southern and western us
both northern and southeast bc and guided both
and now live and fish central alberta for the past 7 yrs
I have a well rounded group of skills, fly tying on behalf of art galleries and have ran a charter boat running up to 11 lines off the stern 4 on planers 3 off the fly bridge and 4 on downrigers.
a lot of the time I should have been in school I was on a bc river fishing
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
thank you BB I have had the good fortune to have lived and fished in :
most of europe
australia
new zealand
both southern and western us
both northern and southeast bc and guided both
and now live and fish central alberta for the past 7 yrs
I have a well rounded group of skills, fly tying on behalf of art galleries and have ran a charter boat running up to 11 lines off the stern 4 on planers 3 off the fly bridge and 4 on downrigers.
a lot of the time I should have been in school I was on a bc river fishing
Interesting Life. Was all the moving around job related? Which European cities were your favorites? What was the name of your charter boat and where did you operate from?

Bobby B.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Stocked waters

"Can any one tell me of any fish stock in central alberta that has not been stocked not just trout"

FishGunner, I don't mean to give you a hard time, but I think this is what the guys are reffering to when they say your posts are somewhat unclear. I interpret this to mean that you are requesting information for the location of a water body containing fish that were NOT placed there by people, and that those fish can be of any species.

As far as how I would feel about losing stocked ponds in my area. I get out about once a week to fish from May to October. So I went fishing (in Alberta) about 25 times last year. I went to stocked trout ponds 21 out of 25. The other lake I fished is a large lake that contains perch, pike, and walleye. I would not be surprised to find out that SRD has added to the Walleye population of that lake. Only one place that I fish is aerated through the winter. That means that whatever fish are left in these small ponds come winter will not survive. These places ARE capable of being aerated, but they just aren't for whatever reason, so instead of letting some trout get bigger & possibly reproduce, they are allowed to freeze, and filled with 8" fish each spring wich get to about 12" by fall. Long story short, if stocking programs were cut, I would have to drive 2 hours to the closest place I could fish. I think the lakes capable of carrying fish over through the winter would see a 10 fold jump in fishing pressure as well.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Interesting Life. Was all the moving around job related? Which European cities were your favorites? What was the name of your charter boat and where did you operate from?

Bobby B.
in my childhood most of my moveing was related to my fathers work I was born in scotland( glasgow being my fave city) this is when I lived in nz and australia and during this time I spent my time with my father fishing mostly salt water. the derwent river in tasmainia, barricuda, sum sharks. when we moved 2 nz I was 12 and wondered the trout streams of the new plymouth area as well as beach fishing snapper, eel ,smaller shark we moved to canada shortly after (returning to kitimat)where I crewed my fathers boat"amathest "28' fiberform after leaving school I moved to twin falls idaho trout heven . I then joined my parents again in canton georgia bass heven .I was 18 or about at that time I moved back to the uk and joined the british army in which I enjoyed fishing most of europe holland sticks out the course fishing is amazing amsterdam next fave city after 6 yrs in the forces I discharged and moved back to canada where I settled in nelson bc trout capital of the world. at that time I charterd out of a resort on kooteny lake not sure how legal that was so sorry no names and now I work and fish olds and area it has been a sweet fishy ride so far fish fear me
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
sorry dont eat much fish how about sum nice haggis
Haggis and Atlantic Salmon. My friend Sum Dom Fok and I have it all the time.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM

Honestly I like fishing in the stocked pond here in town. It gives me the opportunity to learn to cast better.. And learn to have patience while fishing. I would go almost every night after dinner and just practice and practice.

It wouldnt break my heart if this pond was dry, but for some people that are less fortunate and cant get to a lake... This is the closet and best place for any person for a peaceful summer evening...

Fish Gunner... Like I said, I am new. But Im ok for figuring things out, Im sorry. I lost you in the 1st sentence.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM

How often? I fish the potholes 15-20 times a year. Some out of province as well.

Most produce some very big fish that you can't catch in our streams. They are put and take and while there is lot's of wailing and gnashing (spelling??) of teeth over it, I would have to say it is misplaced. These lakes will still consistently give up the 'goods' to the experienced fisherman. At the same time, they provide lots of action for the kids and shore-bound catching that years stocked fish (with the odd Walter thrown in for excitement).

The local (urban) ponds are overfished but that is the purpose they serve.

I would be disappointed if this opportunity was lost to Albertans.

A lot of lakes and ponds would be devoid of fish if it were not for the stocking programs. It is unlikely they could even sustain a native population of pike or perch for any period of time (before anyone jumps all over me...there are few exceptions)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Alberta is a very very dry province.

It has little water compared to anyone north south east and west of the province.

There is your geography lesson for today.
Enough water to build the largest earthen dam in human history...
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

The southern half of AB has a large proportion of waters whether flowing or impounded that contain sport fish which have their origin outside the region.

If not for stocking and species introductions there would hardly be a fishery to discuss.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:

WOW, there are some real winners spouting off on here
The OP asked a pretty simple question.

I fish them 5-10 times a year. Allways with the kids. Easy access usually good fishing. Personaly, I don't care for eating them but great for the family and all the retired men who need a hide out during the day. It would suck if the stocking was stopped, although If there was a species that could spawn and become self sufficient would make more sense.
I would bet, Duffy here is asking for a reason. There must be some talk whether serious or not about this program.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Banned

Perhaps Duffy needs to clarify management priorities.

I can't think of any large lakes I fish which haven't been stocked at some point.

Yes, it would make me sad to have a poorly managed fishery. If stocking ceased we would lose many small water fisheries and many others would need quick reg changes.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbuster View Post
WOW, there are some real winners spouting off on here
The OP asked a pretty simple question.

I fish them 5-10 times a year. Allways with the kids. Easy access usually good fishing. Personaly, I don't care for eating them but great for the family and all the retired men who need a hide out during the day. It would suck if the stocking was stopped, although If there was a species that could spawn and become self sufficient would make more sense.
I would bet, Duffy here is asking for a reason. There must be some talk whether serious or not about this program.
Agree

Fish Gunner i understood what u meant thanks for posting and u are well traveled

David
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM

Bad grammer is fine..

Posts that add nothing to a thread are not..

If you have nothing to add or anything nice to say then feel free not to post at all..
Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 PM

I ve been fishing a stocked lake for most of the winter and I have to say I am glad they stock it. The lakes near me are not very large and living so close to the Rockies ( Hinton AB ) there is not alot here for my favorite summer fishing (walleye) or winter fishing (Perch). I came from Lesser slave area were I had maybe been alittle spoiled.

I would like to add though that I don't like that they do not make these lakes/ponds more fish survival friendly. The lake I fish in has some but few 2-4 pound fish and its been known to have the odd 5-7 pounder pulled out. The problem is that most winters and please don't quote me on this because I have no facts backing me, just alot of other local fishermen telling me that the lake has a very large winter kill percentage. So my question is why not spend some money in arigation or other ways depending on reasons for winter kill? Maybe stock with fish that can also spawn rather than these non spawning fish and maybe we can see more fish survive. I found early summer to be boring because all the fish you catch are minnow size. Maybe with more fish surviving, that stocked lake and many other stocked lake/ponds can house bigger fish and if your anything like me, I d rather catch less fish with the chance of catching bigger fish any day. Nothing lke catching a 5 pound rainbow over 10 little pound and a half guppies.

I guess they have there reasons for doing things this way and maybe there good reasons, I just don't understand them.

I also would like to ask a semi unrelated question. How can a person get more invovled with the lakes and fishing in local areas ? I would like to learn more and volunteer myself in preservation in helping our lakes in my local area to grow and prosper, as well as add an opinion and push for the good of the lakes ?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I Fish stocked Trout lakes about 10 Times a Year

There not a bad thing

No It would Break my Heart if they quit stocking Trout...............

Bring on the BASS Baby
Now there is something that no one has thought of yet. Very good idea if people are getting tired of the stocking of trout why not try Bass.