Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2023, 12:11 PM

Default .243 with 80gn ttsx or 100gn interlock

I have been using 80gn TTSX in the 243 for deer, bear and similar critters with great results. I can’t see why that combination will be a problem with Elk under 300 yards but. When it comes to Elk, what would Folks recommend? Would there be an advantage in jumping up 20 grains and switching bullets? Penetration has not been a problem so far and I doubt we will be shooting any big elk with it.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:45 PM

Hornady now makes an even heavier tipped copper bullet than Barnes 80gr TTSX or 85gr TSX.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...43-90-gr-cx#!/

Quote:
6mm .243 90 gr CX™
Item #24444 | 50/Box
Although I can attest to the factory loaded 100gr Interloc working just fine on moose under 200 yds.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 10-28-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:17 PM

You will be fine with the 80gr ttsx
Old 10-28-2023, 02:41 PM

Default Interlock

I dropped the biggest moose shot in Alberta in 1973 (188-3/8) using a 243 with the 100 gr. interlock at 220 yards. It's not the caliber or most bullets it's shot placement. "Heart shot" the bull coughed twice and tipped over.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:56 PM

95 or 100 gr partitions.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:19 PM

I shoot both those bullets in my 243. If I had the choice would choose the extra speed and penetration of the the TTSX. But I would shoot either without hesitation.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I have been using 80gn TTSX in the 243 for deer, bear and similar critters with great results. I can’t see why that combination will be a problem with Elk under 300 yards but. When it comes to Elk, what would Folks recommend? Would there be an advantage in jumping up 20 grains and switching bullets? Penetration has not been a problem so far and I doubt we will be shooting any big elk with it.
I know there are folks here that’ll jump all over me for saying this but I would use a larger caliber. Elk are way tougher than moose. I have been part of over 60 bull elk kills and have seen some lost to even 300 magnums.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:43 PM

Default no luck

Ive never had luck with Barnes,horrible grouping,pencil through critters.I agree with Brewster on bigger is better for Elk
Old 10-28-2023, 04:57 PM

Ive found Barnes bullets to be some of the most accurate and easiest to develop a load with for a hunting bullet and taken several game animals with the TSX/TTSX with excellent results. A .243 shooting an 80 grain TSX wouldn't be my first choice for elk however.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:17 PM

The thing is I own two of them. One youth model, and one semi custom. They both shoot great and we’ve used them a fair amount. I carry a bit bigger rifle for myself, but two young kids and my wife like them.
Most of the elk I’ve shot have been with a bow and arrow. In the last few years, I’ve shot a handful of them with a rifle, but usually in November, and never more than 50 yards.
I have no doubt that the rifle/cartridge is capable of the job. Certainly, with the small elk that we tend to get. I just have those two choices of bullets at home and wondering if anyone saw an advantage to either.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Ive never had luck with Barnes,horrible grouping,pencil through critters.I agree with Brewster on bigger is better for Elk
Probably your experience with Barnes would be considered mostly an anomaly.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
The thing is I own two of them. One youth model, and one semi custom. They both shoot great and we’ve used them a fair amount. I carry a bit bigger rifle for myself, but two young kids and my wife like them.
Most of the elk I’ve shot have been with a bow and arrow. In the last few years, I’ve shot a handful of them with a rifle, but usually in November, and never more than 50 yards.
I have no doubt that the rifle/cartridge is capable of the job. Certainly, with the small elk that we tend to get. I just have those two choices of bullets at home and wondering if anyone saw an advantage to either.
Your elk hunting is far different than mine. Here we’re regulated to take only 6 point bulls and we really don’t hunt them over agricultural land. Shots may be from 15 to 600+yards and time is always limited. A bad shot may mean a lost animal because follow up shots are not usually possible. Given your short distances and field situation I would take the TTSX every time.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I prefer the 100gr as I shoot them out of my 6-284 with great results to the point many years ago I bought 6 boxes just to never do without.

Crazy how a well placed little pill can have great results and fill the freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-29-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I use the same 80gr ttsx bullets in my 243 as a November deer/coyote rifle, when I’m not hunting anything else. Exceptional performance to date.

Here’s the thing: will the elk die, yes. But how far will it go, how much blood will be left to follow (especially after the herd runs over it), will you be able to find it, and will it cross into places you can’t go…?

This is one of those situational things. Snow on the ground, close shots (200 or less), proficient marksman, no boundary issues - it could work. But change any one of those and you’re in for a bad day.

If you are side by side with your family member and are willing to call them off, do as you see fit. But I wouldn’t turn a newbie loose with a 243 on an elk hunt..
Old 10-29-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Probably your experience with Barnes would be considered mostly an anomaly.
I had same issues with Barnes out of my 25-06. Pencil hole and a long tracking job on a WT doe at 150 yards. Went back to Noslers after that experience. I have never tried them since.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I use the same 80gr ttsx bullets in my 243 as a November deer/coyote rifle, when I’m not hunting anything else. Exceptional performance to date.

Here’s the thing: will the elk die, yes. But how far will it go, how much blood will be left to follow (especially after the herd runs over it), will you be able to find it, and will it cross into places you can’t go…?

This is one of those situational things. Snow on the ground, close shots (200 or less), proficient marksman, no boundary issues - it could work. But change any one of those and you’re in for a bad day.

If you are side by side with your family member and are willing to call them off, do as you see fit. But I wouldn’t turn a newbie loose with a 243 on an elk hunt..
Agreed

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-29-2023, 09:34 PM

Depends on your twist rate. If you have 1:8, I'd run the 108gr ELDM's or TMK's (if you can find them.)

1:10 go for 95gr Nosler ballistic tips.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
Depends on your twist rate. If you have 1:8, I'd run the 108gr ELDM's or TMK's (if you can find them.)

1:10 go for 95gr Nosler ballistic tips.
WHY would you run a MATCH bullet??

Much better choices IMHO. 100 grain Nosler Partition gets the nod from me. Like others I have had less then stellar results from Mono bullets. The 6mm does punch above its weight just like the 6.5 bullet but that is a different topic.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

Much better choices IMHO. 100 grain Nosler Partition gets the nod from me. Like others I have had less then stellar results from Mono bullets. The 6mm does punch above its weight just like the 6.5 bullet but that is a different topic.
100% agree with the ELDM or TMK for the 1-8 twist. In our Tikka which has a 1:10 twist I run the 95 ballistic tips and would not hesitate on any elk out to 450-500. That’s where my velocity runs out with that bullet. Do some research on who designed that bullet and why.
Also have used 147eldm out of a 6.5 for the last few years. The ELDM’s are great hunting bullets despite the marketing and BS the gun writers would have you believe.
I have killed a “few”elk in my life.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
100% agree with the ELDM or TMK for the 1-8 twist. In our Tikka which has a 1:10 twist I run the 95 ballistic tips and would not hesitate on any elk out to 450-500. That’s where my velocity runs out with that bullet. Do some research on who designed that bullet and why.
Also have used 147eldm out of a 6.5 for the last few years. The ELDM’s are great hunting bullets despite the marketing and BS the gun writers would have you believe.
I have killed a “few”elk in my life.

Hunters need to be aware that the ELDX has a significantly thicker jacket than the ELDM, plus it has the interlock ring, but overall the ELDX is still a relatively soft bullet- in that it's not actually fully bonded and the jackets taper in thickness. The ELDM does not taper in jacket thickness, nor does it have an interlock ring.

But each to their own
Old 10-31-2023, 02:02 AM

I have killed moose, elk, deer, bear, etc with 100 gr interlocks (factory loads of American Whitetail). The longest shot on an elk (cow) was probably under 200 m. I honestly do not remember exactly because the absolute majority of my shots are way under.

I bought some factory Federal Premium ammo plugged with TSX and so far only sighted and zeroed the rifle. The groups aren’t as tight as they are with Hornady, but definitely good enough to go out hunting.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:28 PM

Why wouldn't you? Have you tried it?

Those who have know that those bullets create devastating wound channels (both temporary and permanent cavities.) So much so that a lot of guys won't run them in anything much larger than a 6.5mm size.

Partitions and accubonds are decent, but I dont like to track more than I have to.

Quote:

Old 10-31-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
Why wouldn't you? Have you tried it?

Those who have know that those bullets create devastating wound channels (both temporary and permanent cavities.) So much so that a lot of guys won't run them in anything much larger than a 6.5mm size.

Partitions and accubonds are decent, but I dont like to track more than I have to.
You do you. Never had to track a critter but, then again I tend to hit where I aim. Not a big fan of using grenades and having to pick shrapnel and lead out of my meat. Just saying, and the beauty is, you can use what ever floats your boat.
Old 11-01-2023, 05:38 AM

I’d continue to use the 80gr Ttsx and know I was using the toughest, deepest penetrating bullet out of the two. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2023, 07:44 AM

Who said those bullets function as grenades?

In a 243/6mm bullet, and at most reasonable hunting distances, TMKs or ELDMs generally create a nice coke-can sized wound trail straight to the vitals from any angle.

They work well.
Quote:
You do you. Never had to track a critter but, then again I tend to hit where I aim. Not a big fan of using grenades and having to pick shrapnel and lead out of my meat. Just saying, and the beauty is, you can use what ever floats your boat.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:50 PM

Does anyone use H 4350 with 80 gn TTSX? I found conflicting data about five grains apart. One says start at 40 gn and one says 40 gn is maximum.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Does anyone use H 4350 with 80 gn TTSX? I found conflicting data about five grains apart. One says start at 40 gn and one says 40 gn is maximum.
Superformance with the load on the label will give you 3500fps with a 24 inch tube
Old 03-25-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
You will be fine with the 80gr ttsx
But plan on a lot of follow up tracking.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-25-2024, 10:58 PM

Another vote for Barnes 80gr ttsx.
Absolutely lethal; lots of blood. Shreds whatever it passes through and leaves a huge trail.
I used to shoot 95 gr ballistic tips. Pulled the shot with bull fever and hit the scapula. Watched him run off and hunker down. Had to catch up and let off two more rounds to put him down. I felt sick to my stomach watching that.
I went to the store the next day and worked up a load with the 80gr ttsx. All holes touching using RL15
Never looked back since. That little bullet won’t stop for much.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Moose View Post
I dropped the biggest moose shot in Alberta in 1973 (188-3/8) using a 243 with the 100 gr. interlock at 220 yards. It's not the caliber or most bullets it's shot placement. "Heart shot" the bull coughed twice and tipped over.
This tells the story right there, close the thread lol

I'd think that little 80g smoking out of a 243 would be extremely lethal, not my first choice but it will kill way our of proportion to what us old dogs think.

All the new barnes have been extremely forgiving in my rifles, to the point of I don't look for any other hunting bullets period. They like a lot of jump though, not like lead core.