Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2021, 05:04 PM

Default KegRiver. There are fish in the Peace!

Hi Keg and others. My wife and I just returned from 3 weeks of camping in the North. We spent a week in Peace River. I took my wife down to the mouth of the Heart River which was my favourite spot as a kid. In three hours we landed 4 decent walleye (best was 52 cm) and a six pound Burbot. Not bad! We used a steak that we hadn't managed to eat and was past it's best before date. I set out a half hearted chub line but no luck. The steak worked fine for still fishing. It was actually clear enough to do some casting but my wife is still learning so we still fished and hunted for agates. She caught the first one. Her first fish landed even though she has fished quite a few times. Found a nice 1 1/2" agate and then she found another one at the abandoned Millenium Cabins at Keg River. Great trip.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Hi Keg and others. My wife and I just returned from 3 weeks of camping in the North. We spent a week in Peace River. I took my wife down to the mouth of the Heart River which was my favourite spot as a kid. In three hours we landed 4 decent walleye (best was 52 cm) and a six pound Burbot. Not bad! We used a steak that we hadn't managed to eat and was past it's best before date. I set out a half hearted chub line but no luck. The steak worked fine for still fishing. It was actually clear enough to do some casting but my wife is still learning so we still fished and hunted for agates. She caught the first one. Her first fish landed even though she has fished quite a few times. Found a nice 1 1/2" agate and then she found another one at the abandoned Millenium Cabins at Keg River. Great trip.
Yes there is. Just a few days ago I caught three nice Walleye in the Peace, but as you suggest it is not like it used to be.

I bet when you were a kid that catch would have been twice as many or more and almost every time you went. Now it's rare to have a day like that.

Good find on the agates, there are a lot of them in the local gravel. On a good day I can pick up 10 or more pieces on some of the roads in the area.
Whole agates are much harder to find. 1 1/2" sounds like a full sized agate.
Most of the pieces I find, or rather used to find were under 1/2 inch.

I say used to because I am not up to walking as much as I would need to to find them.

If I had known you were in the area I could have pointed you to a nice place to catch Perch, tons of action, nothing big. But a chance at Brookies, Rainbows and Tigers.

Right now I'm getting ready to head off fishing for a few days.
Time with family and childhood friends and the potential for a meal or two of fresh fish. Life doesn't get better then that.

See you all in a few days.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-23-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Yes there is. Just a few days ago I caught three nice Walleye in the Peace, but as you suggest it is not like it used to be.

I bet when you were a kid that catch would have been twice as many or more and almost every time you went. Now it's rare to have a day like that.

Good find on the agates, there are a lot of them in the local gravel. On a good day I can pick up 10 or more pieces on some of the roads in the area.
Whole agates are much harder to find. 1 1/2" sounds like a full sized agate.
Most of the pieces I find, or rather used to find were under 1/2 inch.

I say used to because I am not up to walking as much as I would need to to find them.

If I had known you were in the area I could have pointed you to a nice place to catch Perch, tons of action, nothing big. But a chance at Brookies, Rainbows and Tigers.

Right now I'm getting ready to head off fishing for a few days.
Time with family and childhood friends and the potential for a meal or two of fresh fish. Life doesn't get better then that.

See you all in a few days.
Thanks Keg. The fishing was definitely better in the 70's but I was encouraged by how we did considering the temperature was in the 30's for a few days. We managed to hit a 23C day so it was bearable. The large agate was unbroken but the smaller one wasn't. I used to have a jar full of them when I was a kid. Not sure whatever happened to them.

Have fun fishing!