Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Beginner Fly Fisher

I have always been interested in learning to fly fish. This year I'm finally gonna do it. The only problem is that I dont know what all I need for equipment and flies. Can some one give me an idea on what kind of rod, real, line, flies and other equipment I should try and get for learning to fly fish for trout in the Edmonton area
Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 PM

I would recommend starting out with a 5 or 6 weight rod / line set up with floating line. It will get you started. I would also suggest selecting a reel that you can buy an extra spool for... depending on the waters you plan on fishing, a sinking, or possibly sinking tip line can be very useful. Do you plan on fishing rivers or lakes more often? In lakes I use my sinking line more often than floating line. In rivers / streams I use my floating line or sink tip line more often. My opinion is that moving water is more challenging to fish than still water is. To me the most sure-fire way for a newbie to catch a fish fly fishing is to troll a black woolly bugger behind your float tube or boat.

As for flies, the sky is the limit. I think a good start would be a selection of woolly buggers, gold ribbed hare's ear, and pheasant tail nymphs for sinking flies, and a selection of adam's, elk hair caddis, and stimulators for dries. There are quite a few other standard flies that everyone should have, but that should get you started. The list could be modified depending on if your fishing lakes or rivers / streams.

Ideally if you could hook up with an experienced fly fisher, or even a guide, it will reduce the learning curve greatly. Good luck getting started, once I started fly fishing I pretty much gave up on my spin rod. It's an addicting hobby!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM

There is just too much to know to list here. If you want good info and a chance to meet a lot of great guys and gals who fly fish youi should go to a meeting of the Northern Lights fly tiers

http://www.nlft.org/about

You are in luck because they are having their last meeting for the summer tomorrow and the usual meeting place. You can find it on this link. They are very easy to talk to - just show up and expres an interest and you will be set.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Good luck getting started, once I started fly fishing I pretty much gave up on my spin rod. It's an addicting hobby!
Scott, ever heard this one?

Calling fly-fishing a hobby, is like calling brain surgery a job.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Default RE

Best advice I can say it takes time to learn the art of presenting the fly. lots of time on the lakes and ponds helps alot. Ive been fly fishing for 2 months its great. I caught 2 little trouts at the pond. Its pretty cool so far.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM

A day with a guide, course based or otherwise, is very good value. The Maclennans likely have something to offer. Google them if you have some sheckles to dump and want to progress in leaps and bounds. they can also fill you in on what type of equipment to get into.

hk
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM

There'll be someone in the Edmonton area offering the same. Missed that part of your post.

hk
Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 AM

http://www.albertastillwaters.com/
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Don't buy a thing yet. Don't listen to any rod brand recommendations just yet.

Contact a few of the local fly shops. Most of them conduct reasonably priced lessons that not only teach you how to do it, but go over equipment selection. You also have the opportunity to try out a number of different rods in the lessons. Different people find they cast better with different rods. Tell them where and what you want to fish for and they will suggest equipment.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM

As to the flies, I'd tend to say for a beginner to get a reference , Darren Banasch's little " which fly do I use " booklet is something very useful to start with. It is available at a lot of flyshops, generally on the counter.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:55 PM

I don't know what your budget is but the fishin hole has some combos for under $100 during the fathers day sale ,including the scientific anglers combo that i think comes with an instructional dvd.I would suggest picking up a beginers book or two because there is so much you need to know about it is impossible to tell you on a forum.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM

no need to buy all of the intructional videos, guides, books,etc. what did it for me was websites, youtube videos (lefty krey), and going outside to a lake or backyard and practicing. but if you prefer 1 on 1 experience for learning, then by all means go for the classes. practice makes perfect.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

Well,

if you take the usual advice given to new flyfishers on this board, it is going to cost a minimum of a cool G to get started.

However,

I still say go get the walmart combo...

a couple small spools of trilene xl in 20, 10, and 8lb

and a couple dozen flies from icky...

you'll be whipping the water to a froth, and pulling your line out of the trees for under $100.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Another really good option is to pick up a library card since the library actually has a pretty good selection of fly fishing books that you can borrow and peruse. Lots of 'beginner fly fishing' books are available as well as quite a few casting books.

For a rod I'd suggest looking into one of the TFO (temple fork outfitters) combo rods. For ~$220 you get a case, rod, and reel fully set up with a floating line. A good starting rod would probably be the 5/6 wt. package since that is big enough to fish any of the larger rivers in Alberta while still being small enough to enjoy fishing some of the smaller streams and creeks as well.

In regards to flies, check out the icky fly works website. I believe he's a sponser of these forums (!!!) and flies through that website will run you roughly $1 each with free shipping if you order over $30. There's also a few fly combo packs for the type of fishing you think you'll be doing (ie bow river, alpine streams, lakes, etc) so it's an easy way to get a stocked fly box for relatively cheap without having to know too much about which flies you should be ordering.

Aside from flies and a rod you should also pick up a few spools of tippet (likely a 3X spool and a 4X spool would be fine) which will run you <$5/spool, and that should be enough gear to get you started.

Also, make sure you either grab an online copy or a free paper copy of the 2012 regulations.

If you'd prefer not to have to shell out for a fly fishing lesson than definately spend a bit of time in a field learning how to cast after either looking at some online videos or reading through a casting book before heading out for your first time on the water.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions on these forums. Although I certainly haven't been an actual member for very long I have been lurking them for a while and have noticed that the peeps here are both knowledgable and willing to share that knowledge freely and that can be quite a good way to help ease you into this wonderful sport.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 PM

if your in calgary and you want to hit the river, send me a message and if i can meet you i will show you the ropes, its pretty easy when you learn the tricks
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
if your in calgary and you want to hit the river, send me a message and if i can meet you i will show you the ropes, its pretty easy when you learn the tricks
I think wildcat knows his stuff.....he's sent me flies before and they work great! I'd take him up on the offer if I were you!
Cheers
Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Default ..

All of the above and join a fishing club
Bjay
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM

TFO 4/5w 4pc 9ft is an awesome rod to start with if you fishing smaller streams but id beef it up if your in calgary cause theres some nice big browns and bows in the bow!!!

tfo for the win.. such a great company! local to!!!

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:17 PM

costco actually has a half decent amunsen combo that i believe has all the accessories needed. or go visit your local shop.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 PM

redington purist combo 4 or 5 weight. Nice fast action rod, reel,line. Great combo to start with. about 150$ I believe.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
costco actually has a half decent amunsen combo that i believe has all the accessories needed. or go visit your local shop.
my thoughts exactly i got this combo from costco and its workin great for me i did replace the line tho i just gotta learn how to present the fly better but i have no problem gettin fish on leaches lol
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Plenty of advice regarding gear already. If you want some good basic videos about fly fishing specific species, go to the Orvis website and check out their videos. They were the ones that were aired on WFN as episodes of Orvis Guide to Flyfishing. Each video also includes flycasting instruction. It would also be really helpful if you can get out with someone who has some experience.

Have fun.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/
Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM

One little thing that is helpful for me ............ seperate your flies

a box for drys, one for wets and another for "others" (big streamers, bigger hoppers and other "odd to fit into the slots neatly") box.

Although you can generally tell the difference by looking at the flies themselves, and you will get better at it as you gain experience - this is a good way of organizing your stuff.

Then when you go out, use a little box with one of those dividers and pick a few of each type and put it in the vest and wade into the water. The rest of them can stay n shore or in the truck.