Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 PM

Default Going camera-less.

Last Friday I went pothole hopping on the dualsport, because there is limited room on a street legal dirt bike I didn't take any means of taking a photograph and ended up catching a super fat 19" rainbow. I don't know if it was the biggest rainbow I've ever caught it was in the top 3 for sure.

Today I took a walk across the road to throw a few casts into the lake, didn't bother to take a camera or cell phone... BAM! two 38" pike!

I tell ya, I think I'm on to something. I always lament about how when I was a kid we caught more big fish, I always assumed it was due to the increase in angling pressure but now I'm starting to think... maybe I caught more big fish back then because I never had a camera!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 PM

Rarely take pictures anymore. After hundreds of pics, seen one you've seen them all and do you really go back and look at them all. LOL
Old 05-17-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
Rarely take pictures anymore. After hundreds of pics, seen one you've seen them all and do you really go back and look at them all. LOL
Yeah, these days I feel that a great fish picture is more about the kid holding the fish.

For me the memories will be enough and theres a certain pleasure in just keeping a good memory for oneself. Maybe its just me but sometimes the act of showing off the photo has a way of cheapening the experience, as if the true value of a great memory is based on the response of others to the photo.

At one point on opening day I was watching two eagles harass an osprey as I fished, the osprey had a fish in its claws and two eagles were trying to make him drop it. I was watching the show when I felt a thump and heard my drag start going... another nice pike.

That right there was a moment I'll remember for a long time, no picture could have done it justice, and its doubtful that I could really express the perfection of such a moment to anyone else by any means.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 AM

For sure, that's what it's all about.
When I do take a pic nowadays, it's of a beautiful section of river, a lake, a massive set of grizzly tracks hiking in, a buddy working a section. These are the memories I like to capture and all the fish we caught or missed are easily remembered
Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM

A great way to keep your favorite pics fresh is to splurge for one of those digital frames. They will cycle through thousands (if you have that many) of your photos of every kind, and looks great in your office or a special place at home.

Keeps me amped up for the next adventure and its a good conversation starter as people come and go.