Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Default Mooching Set Up

I just picked up a new mooching rod and reel and was at a total loss for what to put on it for line.

Just looking for some input from all yal west coast travelers.

Braid, Fused, Mono ?
It's a little outside my area of expertise.

I plan on salmon fishing in BC this summer with it.

So yeah............. here we go!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM

25 pound big game mono for salmon that's all we use.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 PM

For mooching applications I use mono and I would continue to use mono. A 20 lb or 25 lb test are what I use. Occasionally, I use a 12 lb test. Typically, I use Trilene Big Game or Maxima, but there are other brand out there that would probably fare better. I use Suffix for some of my spin applications and I find it is a superior mono, but I've never used it in the larger tests (17lb+) or in salt.

If you are planning on using downriggers there will probably be some discussion about braid, but for mooching I would stick to mono. I've never played around with braid on downriggers, so I don't hold an opinion there. There may be some advantages to using braid in this application, I don't know.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Many many many people troll with mooching rods and reels (knuckle busters) with or without downriggers. To be versatile stick to mono; 25 lb test give or take.

If you're mooching, you need the stretch of mono as the fish is hitting it on the drop 99% of the time and when you jig is when you'll be setting the hook often with only 10 - 20 pulls of line out so you need that elasticity.

For trolling on the downrigger, a heavier (thicker) mono is easier to set at the desired strength required to trip on your downrigger release vs a thinner braid. But if you are fishing 180+ feet down, braid with a mono leader may be a consideration because of the large bow in your line.

Diameter of the line for finesse purposes is not critical when fishing for salmon BUT you do want to make sure you have 300+ yds on your reel. Last thing you want it to finally hook a 50+ lb spring and have him spool you.

In 30 years of fishing the coast and living there, I always had 30 lb mono on my reels but they were large arbour knuckle busters that held lots of line.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 PM

25lb big game lineFTW! i got a mooching rod too thats what i got on mine
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM

wear and tear will happen. I don't know if you are considering the issue or release clips, nicks, etc, but you should.

25 - 30 pd high quality Mono is wise. You will be replacing ANY line every year, even braid, as Salt is ruthless on line left over the winter. You would think that flushing the rod and reel after the trip will clear the salt from the line, but the salt is in the spool, unless you run ALL the line off and flush in fresh water. You may think it is excessive to change the line every year, but when a big (30 pd +) spring breaks off, after fishing all day without a hit, and you have no backup line to respool, and you have only a few days available for fishing, you will quickly realize that the cheapest part of the trip is the fishing line.

The next problem is all the nicks and kinks the line takes from using big flashers, and heavy downrigger release clips. 25 pd + is fair in answering this issue. You can always leader down to 15 if you think it makes a difference, and keep the mainline at the 25 / 30 pd range.

Do yourself a favour and invest in BALLBEARING Swivels as the line twist can be horiffic simply from the tackle you may be pulling. Thw swivels have to be replaced every year, as the salt does a number on them as well.

NEXT, buy yourself Florocarbon leader material in 40 / 50 pd test. After unwinding a few dog fish, you will understand the importance of heavy leader material. These things are swimming sandpaper, literally.

Drewski
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

25lb Maxima Ultra Green is the only way to go..
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Walleyes is on it...

25 lb Ultragreen is likely the most common for Mooching Rod and Single Action set-up.
Out of Tofino area, we often fish at least 30 due to how many Halibut we encounter while trolling for Salmon offshore.

We almost always use Maxima UG for leaders, (aside from Fluoro a bit in gin clear winter fishery) but we have had good success with P-line CXXG as well..

J.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Been a while since I was in Tofino. Stayed at the Swell Inn.
Great little place.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapStaff View Post
Been a while since I was in Tofino. Stayed at the Swell Inn.
Great little place.
Hey Rap,

I did receive your PM and will be connecting with you soon. Sorry for the delay.

J.