Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Default New Fishing Vehicle

Hi guys

I just pulled the trigger on a 2011 Ford Ranger. I've never owned a pickup so I need a little advice. I get $1000 worth of options and I have to decide by tomorrow. This truck will be used to tow a 16ft boat (it comes with a tow package). Here are some of the available options.

Bed extender $467
Bed rails $194
Tonneau cover, hard folding by REV $1126
Tonneau cover soft folding by Avdantage $542
Tonneau cover, soft rolling by Truxedo $377
Bed mat $156
Sport Liner by BedRug $473
Commercial grade tool/cargo box by Delta $573
Step bars $478
Retractable rear step by Bestop $298
Remote start $503
Keyless entry keypad $135

Thanks a lot...any help will be much appreciated.

AV
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 PM

First of all you should have bought a real truck! lol... just kidding!!! I use mine for fishing and camping also. The tonneau cover is a must! You should try to make dealer spray box as a buying perk as this costs practicly nothing for them. I also like the command start get a extra 10 min snooze while truck warms up lol. Hope this helps Congrats on the truck!

Ryan
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Great trucks,owned one for 8 years and loved it. One thing you may need are the mirror extensions if your boat is a wide one.
For options the bed liner is a must if you are going to be hauling any crap in the bed,they get scratched pretty easy with stones.
A tool box is a bonus as well for keeping stuff secure that is too dirty for inside the truck.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM

How much does the boat weigh that your gonna be towing? Is it 2x4 or 4x4? Is there enough leg room in it for you?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM

From what you listed I would go with the locking toolbox and remote starter.

It's amazing how much usefull stuff you will put in a locked toobox that you might not throw inside the truck. Straps,jackall,hand tools,flashlight,spare oil,washer fluid etc.

Congrats and enjoy the new truck.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM

Crappy tire has the tool box for $300-400 I can't remember what I payed but I upgraded to the tonneau cover last year and wouldent go back!! Now my entire box is a locking tool box.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM

I second the hard folding box cover. HUGE benefit when hauling fishing gear around.
Definitely one of the best upgrades I put on my truck.

I would have chosen the rollback hard cover but I have a short box F-150. The rollback unit took up too much space and made my short box a REALLY short box.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Well in my advice, the truck is a ranger so it doesn't sit to far off the ground so Step bars kind of seem useless. I would take a Tonneau Cover over bedrails. Personally I like the rolling one by Truxedo as if you have something taller than the side of the bed you can leave it rolled open. Bed extender never really saw the use for them. Chances are if you are towing a boat with the tailgate down you may hit the bow when your towing. A spray in bed liner is better than any bed mat. A Remote start is handy in Canada on those -40 days. Keyless entry keypad is a nice feature but with the key fobs whats the point? I don't know how many times I go out to use my truck and don't have my keys.

Anyways this is your truck so you have to figure out what you would like. If this were me I would choose a spray inbed liner, and remote start. If you can get the spray in bed liner thrown in go with the rolling Tonneau cover.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM

A few of our crews have had troubles with folding tonneau covers freezing and failing to open in the winter. I don't have the same problem with mine (one piece composite lift up: http://www.undercoverinfo.com/ . . . I've got the "Classic).

Some of their prices are pretty off. You could get a remote start installed for significantly less than that (a professional job, by skilled adult installers). I don't like a lot of what they're offering.

If I had to choose from that list . . . keyless entry key pad, bed extender (could be very useful with a smaller truck), remote start. That's over $1000.

I think you'll loose too much of your box with the tonneaus they're offering. Ditto for the tool box. A spray in liner would be best. Don't think the truck is high enough off the ground to warrant the step bars (though they'll look good), but if someone with limited mobility will be in the truck they might be useful.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Keyless entry keypad is a nice feature but with the key fobs whats the point?
They're great for sending teenagers out to collect something from the vehicle. No need to give them the the ability to start it Also great when you lock both of your fobs and both sets of keys in the truck.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM

Default my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well in my advice, the truck is a ranger so it doesn't sit to far off the ground so Step bars kind of seem useless. I would take a Tonneau Cover over bedrails. Personally I like the rolling one by Truxedo as if you have something taller than the side of the bed you can leave it rolled open. Bed extender never really saw the use for them. Chances are if you are towing a boat with the tailgate down you may hit the bow when your towing. A spray in bed liner is better than any bed mat. A Remote start is handy in Canada on those -40 days. Keyless entry keypad is a nice feature but with the key fobs whats the point? I don't know how many times I go out to use my truck and don't have my keys.

Anyways this is your truck so you have to figure out what you would like. If this were me I would choose a spray inbed liner, and remote start. If you can get the spray in bed liner thrown in go with the rolling Tonneau cover.
x2

... and, Commercial grade tool/cargo box by Delta $573

Way to go Neil!
(off topic) Guys in pods want to do dinner tomorrow, you interested?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 PM

Thanks everybody for the great feedback. I know next to nothing about this (I’ve always owned a small car) so I have a couple of follow up questions.

The truck is a 4x4 Supercab. The specs say a towing capacity of 3060 lbs. I’m in the middle of a major modification project on the boat so it’s hard to guess at the weight but I’m estimating 1200 lbs with a 30 HP Honda. There should be no problem with towing. I never thought of extension mirrors. The boat has a 75” beam and the truck is 70” wide. Not sure if this will be a problem?

Based on your feedback I’m thinking hard about the Tonneau cover. So how secure are these things? Dark, I think it was you who posted pictures last season of your customized cover with all your rods mounted directly on the underside. Do you feel safe leaving your gear in the truck? I realize if someone wants your stuff bad enough there’s no stopping them no matter where it is, but just wondering about the relative security of the cover. The remote starter is attractive and the cargo box is a good option because there isn’t much room inside this thing. So much to think about…I may not sleep tonight

Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 PM

We're colleagues??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
x2

... and, Commercial grade tool/cargo box by Delta $573

Way to go Neil!
(off topic) Guys in pods want to do dinner tomorrow, you interested?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM

Default PM sent

Check your message
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM

LMAO...I'll have to be careful what I post from now on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Check your message
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned

ArtVandelay, i just did the same thing. I got a fresh 2011 chevy colorado on the way. the smoke grey color. I got all my options sorted out though. isnt it awesome getting a new toy. Got mine for a smoking deal.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Go for the factory command start - aftermarket still have issues and this way its all in one warranty. The other options you can get cheaper at other locations once you shop around, this Interweb this is awesome for that!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 AM

You'll void the ford warranty if you put an aftermarket command start on. Had to pay $600 at the dealer for the on my F-150, but I got $13K off the sticker so I caved...

I'd go for the factory command start and put the rest towards a tonneau cover. And tell the dealer that at the very least you want the spray in liner at cost (if not thrown in with the deal). Line-X in Calgary is what I got and it's great.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
Dark, I think it was you who posted pictures last season of your customized cover with all your rods mounted directly on the underside. Do you feel safe leaving your gear in the truck? I realize if someone wants your stuff bad enough there’s no stopping them no matter where it is, but just wondering about the relative security of the cover.
I do feel relatively safe leaving my gear in the truck. But, be aware that my tonneau is also rigged to my aftermarket security system . . . which screams like a banshee. I always make sure everything is locked and the truck is armed.

My tonneau could be sawed through or popped off. However, I've been advised by Fishbrain (who has a relative who has had to pop a similar tonneau off) that it is an incredibly noisy endeavour: I should hear it if someone tries to do it.

For those of you who haven't seen it:

EDIT: That is the Line-X spray in bedliner.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Also great when you lock both of your fobs and both sets of keys in the truck.
Both fobs? LOL
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Both fobs? LOL
I also know that there is a locksmith in Calgary who will open up your vehicle for free if you've locked your child inside it with your keys.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

I personaly am not a fan of box covers, may come down to how you use the truck but for me I find even a canopy to be a pain in the butt. I think a canopy is a better idea than a box cover though, pretty convinient for sleeping in sometimes. I also dont like the toolboxes that sit accross the front of the box, the ones that go down the sides over the wheel wells are a better option, obviously not everyone needs or wants as much box space as I do though.

Depending on how long you want to keep the truck a box liner may or may not be a great idea. All the trucks I've owned that had the most rotted out boxes had box liners in them at some point. Box liners have the potential ability to hold moisture between the liner and the box causing far more rust damage than the minor surface rust that you get when you scratch your box with no liner in it. It all depends on how long you want to keep it, if your going to be trading it in on a new one anytime soon it wont matter but if you want to drive er till she drops it might. If you do end up selling it in a few years you can always put a box liner in at that point.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM

If you plan on going some of the places fishing that I have gone fishing, you should see if you can use some of the cash to upgrade to a more aggressive tread tire with a better sidewall.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Just looked through those options closer and I would take the toolboxes as long as they are the type that go down the side. I also like box rails, they look sexy, are usefull for tying down loads, and give your box sides a bit of protection in a place that I commonly ding up. The bed extender would also come in handy if you end up using it to move, or haul an ATV or canoe.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Again, thanks for all the feedback...much appreciated. I haven't actually signed on the dotted line yet; that's happeneing in a couple of hours here. I'd like to throw the numbers out and get an opinion. Here’s the thing. The process of buying a new car is one of my least favourite things to do. It ranks right up there with getting a root canal, having Justin Bieber serenade me to sleep at night, or having a prostate exam by a gloveless dirt farmer. I’m intimidated, nervous, unintelligent – everything you SHOULDN’T be when negotiating with salesmen. I should never set foot inside a car dealership. I know some of you enjoy this, even thrive on it. The art of the deal. I can’t wait to get the hell out of there. They always make it seem like they’re doing YOU a favour instead of the other way around. Yesterday he kept talking about how ridiculously low the price is and how they’re hardly making any money on this vehicle and that he’d buy it himself if he had the money and curb it. I asked how much they’re giving me on the trade in and he said they’re putting it on the lot for $4000 but the car isn’t worth that but it’s helping me with the GST??

For those of you in the know, let me run the numbers by you.
$29,000 list - $6,000 factory incentive (or something) = $23,000
Trade in ’03 Honda Civic si w/ 158,000 kms
$1000 worth of options
Payments: $350.00 per month for 72 months.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

I hear you on buying new vehicals, absolutely hate it. If you feel like you do and you can still back out than do so. Look at some consumer reports, take a look at what used ones are going for, do your homework and then go back. I didnt catch what their giving you on your civic, for some reason I'm under the impression that you are getting 1000 bucks in accessorys for it. If thats the case I would deffinatly keep it and sell it privatly. Heck I'll give you more for it right now.

Personaly I wouldnt buy a Ranger. Its not that I have any problem with 1/4 ton trucks but the Ranger I owned was actualy worse on fuel than many of the full sized trucks I've owned. I also dont think they hold their value very well. I know alot of other people that own or have owned rangers that will tell you the same thing. I dont see the point in driving a compact truck that doesnt offer a significant advantage in fuel milage.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Again, thanks for all the feedback...much appreciated. I haven't actually signed on the dotted line yet; that's happeneing in a couple of hours here. I'd like to throw the numbers out and get an opinion. Here’s the thing. The process of buying a new car is one of my least favourite things to do. It ranks right up there with getting a root canal, having Justin Bieber serenade me to sleep at night, or having a prostate exam by a gloveless dirt farmer. I’m intimidated, nervous, unintelligent – everything you SHOULDN’T be when negotiating with salesmen. I should never set foot inside a car dealership. I know some of you enjoy this, even thrive on it. The art of the deal. I can’t wait to get the hell out of there. They always make it seem like they’re doing YOU a favour instead of the other way around. Yesterday he kept talking about how ridiculously low the price is and how they’re hardly making any money on this vehicle and that he’d buy it himself if he had the money and curb it. I asked how much they’re giving me on the trade in and he said they’re putting it on the lot for $4000 but the car isn’t worth that but it’s helping me with the GST??

$1000 worth of options
If you are happy with the numbers, then that's what counts. When you are talking with the "sales manager" and he starts trying to upsell you on this,that, and the other thing;just say "Not Interested,I didn't come here to buy extra warranty,protection packages or anything other than a new truck."

Obviously you know that they are feading you a line of garbage about not making any money on the truck. You should tell him today that you thought about it all night and this morning and feel bad that they are not making any money and would like to not purchase it because they can make more money off somebody else. See how fast they change their tune.

The protection stuff can be purchased far cheaper at auto detailing places if you do want it.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

$1000 worth of options
Id bet you can get more off. let me put it this way the 6000 is a FACTORY INCENTIVE. that means that the Ford Corp.(factory) is taking the hit on the reduction not the dealership. the dealership gets to sell more cars and ultimately earns the same profit margin. same thing with my truck I am getting ALOT more off of my truck but have a couple other incentives. Also keep in mind the 1000 for your options doesnt mean you NEED to get that 100 in order to have it applied. If you were to get a baseline model, you would still get the 1000. its an advertising gimmic. Its no different than the factory bonus they just want you to think "ooooo free options......"

just going to throw this out there. what I got on my truck was this:
7000 factory incentive
1000 gm loyalty(my past vehicle was a chev)
750 student bonus
750 for retiring my 98 malibu
that is 9500 total

the dealership is swallowing the additional cost of my trailer hitch installation(around 400+ tax) as well as shipping it from victoria to here(500+). My walk away price AFTER taxes is about 11,000
less than the sticker price NOT INCLUDING TAXES

The dealerships have more room to move than you think. they do have the fact that most incentive programs are ending this week so they might come back and say take it as is now or wait a week and come back to see what you will pay. But do be cautious. I went through a dealership outside of town because i couldnt stand the swindling salesmen here.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Not sure if you've already picked your options yet but I have to agree the tonneau cover is one of my best investments on my truck. Especially with Ford it comes standard with a lock-able tailgate. Secure the cover, lock it up, and its away from view. Sure if anyone really wants to gain access to it, they could, but with a bit more work. Hopefully they'll walk to the other truck parked beside and pick them as the target instead.

For the tonneau cover I've got the Extang Trifecta Tri-fold Soft Cover. You can probably buy any other covers at a better price at truck accessory stores than from the stealership though. Either way I'd highly recommend you getting that eventually. Just throw everything in the back without worrying it making a mess...lock it up and go. Even if you don't go home right away you don't have to worry about your valuables being readily accessible and in view of everyone while it is parked.

It also worked really well for me for the first winter season I had it. Worked great during ice fishing and in -40 degree weather. I leave all my ice fishing gears in it including my gas auger so I don't need to pack and unpack stuffs between each trip.

As per your question about wide mirrors you can always add snap-on ones anytime. And with your boat width not crazily wide I think you might be fine.

Enjoy your big purchase!!! You'll love your Ford. I'm still very impressed with mine thus far.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM

@Dark, awesome looking setup. Someday I'll be doing the same thing.