Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
No I don't. Where are you going with this?
Just curious. How much is removed from the lake...historical catch records... It would show population trends and say if the population is better or worse any given year. It will also say if there is a high pike by catch or not. Normally once you catch a certain weight of by catch...you have to stop netting. Also an indication of pike population health.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 PM

Default goldeye mooneye and sauger

I fish the NSR regularly and get down to the forks once a year and the milk ever so often. One think I would like to see changed is sauger have a length limit esp. on the nsr or provincewide reduce the limit to 1 over 50cm. The other thing is goldeye and mooneye reduced to 5 from the current 10 or 15 that to me seems a little excessive. If you look back to when the AFGA first started recording annual records for goldeye back in 1975 the avg. was 3.28 pounds. If you begin to figure out the average weight annually after that in 2010 it was 2.61 pounds the record average weight is decreasing by almost 1 pound over 35years.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I would like a better way to inform the anglers of important meetings, so meetings arent attended by 8 people. More notice and more info on its adgenda. Im not complaining about blackdog or troutmountain, my beef is with SRD's process.

The claresholm meeting was slightly tainted with mystery and not so good thoughts. The way it was annouced and the location choice made several people who attended...think it was done as to attract as few people as possible yet conform to the rules.
You know how these things work. If you aren't a member of an elite fishing club then you don't get invited, it's as simple as that. These are the people that know what is best for you & me. There are personal agendas that must be filled and that can't be accomplished by just inviting every Tom, Dick and Harry that enjoys fishing. Better to keep us fellas in the dark.

Honestly, I don't think that some of these people will be happy until ALL of or waterbodies are either "quality" fisheries or C&R. IMO These guys are not outdoorsmen by any sense of the word. The fellas that go out and catch a fish to eat as a shore lunch are the outdoorsmen not the ones that only want to catch a big fish, take a picture and put it back so they can keep catching it over and over again. A healthy population of smaller or medium eating sized fish will never do because they aren't big enough.

So, how do they accomplish filling their agenda of growing bigger fish? Reduce the keep limits, increase the keep size, create more C&R and, once it is C&R don't ever change it back, and make the periods longer when you are unable to keep a fish......impose more restrictions.......even if the reasoning is only to bring it in line with another fish management zone!

Granted there is a call for drastic measures on occasion (ie Isle Lake), but every year I see more and more restrictions proposed in the name of creating a better fishery. Eventually people will get sick of all these restrictions and just say the heck with it. The end result will be anarchy and a whole new generation of poachers!

Rant over...........
Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
You know how these things work. If you aren't a member of an elite fishing club then you don't get invited, it's as simple as that. These are the people that know what is best for you & me. There are personal agendas that must be filled and that can't be accomplished by just inviting every Tom, Dick and Harry that enjoys fishing. Better to keep us fellas in the dark.

Honestly, I don't think that some of these people will be happy until ALL of or waterbodies are either "quality" fisheries or C&R. IMO These guys are not outdoorsmen by any sense of the word. The fellas that go out and catch a fish to eat as a shore lunch are the outdoorsmen not the ones that only want to catch a big fish, take a picture and put it back so they can keep catching it over and over again. A healthy population of smaller or medium eating sized fish will never do because they aren't big enough.

So, how do they accomplish filling their agenda of growing bigger fish? Reduce the keep limits, increase the keep size, create more C&R and, once it is C&R don't ever change it back, and make the periods longer when you are unable to keep a fish......impose more restrictions.......even if the reasoning is only to bring it in line with another fish management zone!

Granted there is a call for drastic measures on occasion (ie Isle Lake), but every year I see more and more restrictions proposed in the name of creating a better fishery. Eventually people will get sick of all these restrictions and just say the heck with it. The end result will be anarchy and a whole new generation of poachers!

Rant over...........

If it wasn't for all the guys/gals that are looking out for the big fish every lake in Alberta would be like 40 mile. You can catch a ton of fish but good luck finding anything legal. It has dropped off big time in the last 6 years or so.

If you want to keep a bunch of fish head to one of the many perch or stocked trout pond lakes in the province and keep your limit.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
If it wasn't for all the guys/gals that are looking out for the big fish every lake in Alberta would be like 40 mile. You can catch a ton of fish but good luck finding anything legal. It has dropped off big time in the last 6 years or so.

If you want to keep a bunch of fish head to one of the many perch or stocked trout pond lakes in the province and keep your limit.
But you must have a harvest of fish or as seen in other lakes you get a large number of small fish. Each lake must have harvest reg set for that lake and adjusted as the lake deem necessary. Not all lakes will develop at its own rate.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

%#*@ the big fish! If I want to catch and eat a fish I'll go out and catch a nice eating sized fish.....if it's legal! You and the rest of the knobs driving around in your bmw's kissing fish and taking pictures should stick to Bullshead and Muir Lake and leave us outdoorsmen alone. It'll be a sad day for fishing when people start feeling ashamed about catching and eating a fish! Friggin yuppies.......stay in your condos!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 PM

I have no problem with people keeping and eating fish as long as the rules and regulations are followed. That is why I think we need a full makeover of regulations in Alberta.

I drive a gmc sierra, own my house in Lethbridge and fish whenever possible.

I just think we need some regulation changes to try and keep the fisheries in decent shape for future generations. If we keep all the big spawning fish then there is going to be nothing left for future fisherman down the road.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just think we need some regulation changes to try and keep the fisheries in decent shape for future generations. If we keep all the big spawning fish then there is going to be nothing left for future fisherman down the road.
But don't you see? The regs that are always being proposed are designed to only keep the big spawning fish! Why? Because the people that are proposing them only want to catch BIG fish. These are not the ones to keep and eat....leave them in! They keep chipping away.

No one can ever tell me that the anglers advising SRD and making reg proposals to them don't have an agenda to grow bigger fish..........I'll never believe it. It's time for a change in attitudes and for these guys to start thinking that a healthy population of decent sized fish that you can catch and keep if you want to is as good as or better than C&R or one BIG fish.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 AM

I am one of the anglers hunting for the biggest fish. I am sure if you asked everyone that fished on the board if they would like to hunt for the big fish about 75-80% of them would say yes.

Not everyone is wanting to catch dinks every time they head out.

I know what you are saying about keeping only the big fish and there is quite a few board members who feel the same way and want the regs to change so that the big fish are left to spawn. We all know that the people in charge want to keep the regs relatively the same so the guys/gals that are wanting the regs changed are trying to chip away at it and make subtle progress by getting little parts of it changed.

Take Travers for example:

People are wanting them to close down the west arm for a longer period of time. This should help the spawners out by not having that added pressure of tons of people hooking into them while they are in the middle of spawn.

I think people are just getting sick and tired of everything being turned into put and take trout fisheries or stunted walleye/perch fisheries and want authorities to change it for the better.

I also think that these requested reg. changes are going to benefit Alberta fisheries in the long run.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am one of the anglers hunting for the biggest fish. I am sure if you asked everyone that fished on the board if they would like to hunt for the big fish about 75-80% of them would say yes.

Not everyone is wanting to catch dinks every time they head out.

I know what you are saying about keeping only the big fish and there is quite a few board members who feel the same way and want the regs to change so that the big fish are left to spawn. We all know that the people in charge want to keep the regs relatively the same so the guys/gals that are wanting the regs changed are trying to chip away at it and make subtle progress by getting little parts of it changed.

Take Travers for example:

People are wanting them to close down the west arm for a longer period of time. This should help the spawners out by not having that added pressure of tons of people hooking into them while they are in the middle of spawn.

I think people are just getting sick and tired of everything being turned into put and take trout fisheries or stunted walleye/perch fisheries and want authorities to change it for the better.

I also think that these requested reg. changes are going to benefit Alberta fisheries in the long run.
If you are hunting for the biggest fish then hunt for them. What you really mean is that you want it to be easier to catch a big fish. The true outdoorsmen are already catching big fish when they want, or we can catch a smaller one to eat. Why should we have to make things easier for you to catch a big fish by having all of these restrictions imposed on us?

Why am I not surprised that they want to shutdown Travers longer? Everything that I read in the proposal was about shutting things down longer, increasing keep sizes, reducing limits, etc, etc, etc. Why should Travers be any different? Do whatever you want in Bullshead and Muir where you can be special and leave the outdoorsmen that fish the other lakes for the pure enjoyment of fishing, even if we can't catch only big ones, alone.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
%#*@ the big fish! If I want to catch and eat a fish I'll go out and catch a nice eating sized fish.....if it's legal! You and the rest of the knobs driving around in your bmw's kissing fish and taking pictures should stick to Bullshead and Muir Lake and leave us outdoorsmen alone. It'll be a sad day for fishing when people start feeling ashamed about catching and eating a fish! Friggin yuppies.......stay in your condos!
Guess WHATTTT , l agree with ya on this one.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:

stocked ponds are great,limits should always apply..this thought of catching & keeping every fish imo wrong..with the exception ,,if the the lake has a history of winterkilling [catch &keep] your allowed limit...the other is it a known stocked trout fishery that now has illegal perch in catch & keep all the perch that you can .02
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Dave, I have a lot of respect for you but I have to disagree on this one. I haven't kept a fish for over 20 years. I know a lot of other people that don't either. I don't stop fishing to start a fire and eat at the side of a lake or stream. I bring a sandwich instead. If I want to eat fish, believe it or not, it is cheaper for me to just go down the street to safeway or superstore and buy fish there. I don't go fishing to bring home my limit every time. I go for the experience of getting out. Yes I do like a catch ratio of 1 large one to 10 medium size fish compared to 1 large one for 100 medium and small fish. If there was not so many anglers, things could be the way you would like. That is not the reality though. There are too many anglers and if all kept fish, we know what would happen in a very short time period of 5 years.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Here we go again!

Dave, Horse and others, pretty much the only way it could happen as you want would be to limit the fishermen then! Is that what you want?

There are only so many fish and so much resources aloted. Managing each individual lake takes time and resources. And would drive most insane, people have enough trouble trying to solve the regs as they are.

Fisheries management is not as easy as in some provinces because we dont have the water or the fish!

Someone suggested openning PCR to 3 any size, now theres a good way to collapse a fishery in just one season. Tags on the other hand might work.

I think in general they(Bios) are doing a pretty good job of managing things without your help! And there is lots more to fisheries management than you guys make it sound! That said everyone has a right to their opinion or beach about it.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 10-29-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:08 AM

Oh and by the way Dave I consider myself and others to be as much an outdoorsmen/women and sportsmen/women as you. That was insulting and in poor taste just because we do not see things as you do.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
But you must have a harvest of fish or as seen in other lakes you get a large number of small fish. Each lake must have harvest reg set for that lake and adjusted as the lake deem necessary. Not all lakes will develop at its own rate.
That is a great idea...but one Alberta seems not willing to try. It is like they feel it is an uphill battle to have people follow regulations let alone lake or river specific regulations. I don't think anglers are that dumb and why not be more directed regulation wise as you suggested. I wish they would listen to you!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Dave...please don't degenerate the conversation to the point the thread gets shut down. Keeping it civil makes for a fun debate.

Directly insulting and slamming people serves no purpose. Your calm posts do sway some people...

I agree with you...insofar as all water should not be either quality or catch and release. There is no need and it is about balancing all user groups...not just cowering to a select few that scream. They must take into account fishing pressure, spawning/natural reproduction etc.

Cheers

Sun
Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 AM

"quote from Sun" "I agree with you...insofar as all water should not be either quality or catch and release. There is no need and it is about balancing all user groups...not just cowering to a select few that scream. They must take into account fishing pressure, spawning/natural reproduction etc."

Agree.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
But don't you see? The regs that are always being proposed are designed to only keep the big spawning fish! Why? Because the people that are proposing them only want to catch BIG fish. These are not the ones to keep and eat....leave them in! They keep chipping away.

No one can ever tell me that the anglers advising SRD and making reg proposals to them don't have an agenda to grow bigger fish..........I'll never believe it. It's time for a change in attitudes and for these guys to start thinking that a healthy population of decent sized fish that you can catch and keep if you want to is as good as or better than C&R or one BIG fish.
Dave.

You can't have a healthy population of medium sized fish if all the spawners are continually being killed prior to spawning a bunch of times. There needs to be a balance. Maybe in certain lakes...why not address your thoughts and call for a slot limit. If all the big fish are protected...maybe there would be larger year classes moving through the system and providing for a healthy harvest most years. This type of regulation may require more yearly research to optimize but it would solve some of the basic user based issues.

Otherwise under the regulation we have now and that you want to keep...we are seeing more and more populations crash. Historically...pike, perch, walleye, goldeye, whitefish, sturgeon, cutthroat etc. have all seen numbers crash requiring stricter regulations. The reason is the status quo you are asking for also does not work as our population has grown.

So we all need to take a step back...ignore our own selfish ideology and see what needs to be done first on a broader sense...then as horsetrader suggested try a more specific regulation for specific lakes etc.

What do you think?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Most of this was hashed out in another thread or 3.
Guess its a do over
Old 10-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmountain View Post
I fish the NSR regularly and get down to the forks once a year and the milk ever so often. One think I would like to see changed is sauger have a length limit esp. on the nsr or provincewide reduce the limit to 1 over 50cm. The other thing is goldeye and mooneye reduced to 5 from the current 10 or 15 that to me seems a little excessive. If you look back to when the AFGA first started recording annual records for goldeye back in 1975 the avg. was 3.28 pounds. If you begin to figure out the average weight annually after that in 2010 it was 2.61 pounds the record average weight is decreasing by almost 1 pound over 35years.
I can see sauger getting targeted in incidental catches going for walleye...but do you think goldeye and mooneye are being targeted and kept to any degree in Alberta? I am curious how many eat them. I have only had a blast catching them and trying one once out of the Red Deer by Drum...wow...yuk! Like eating mushy paper...soaked in mud then carefully basted in butter.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Here we go again!

Dave, Horse and others, pretty much the only way it could happen as you want would be to limit the fishermen then! Is that what you want?

There are only so many fish and so much resources aloted. Managing each individual lake takes time and resources. And would drive most insane, people have enough trouble trying to solve the regs as they are.

Fisheries management is not as easy as in some provinces because we dont have the water or the fish!

Someone suggested openning PCR to 3 any size, now theres a good way to collapse a fishery in just one season. Tags on the other hand might work.

I think in general they(Bios) are doing a pretty good job of managing things without your help! And there is lots more to fisheries management than you guys make it sound! That said everyone has a right to their opinion or beach about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Most of this was hashed out in another thread or 3.
Guess its a do over
If you think this is a rehash and a waste of your time then I suggest you just ignore what is written and get on with your oh so important life.

I was not recommending opening all waters up to harvest But if all you want is over populated lakes with stunted fish then make everything C-R the idea is to find a happy medium where there is a harvest rate that the lake can handle. Would this be easy no never said it would be. Other areas are finding now that total C-R is not as good as it was thought to be. I think for some lakes a tag system is the right way.And yes reg could be a little more confusing but something has to be done. If the (Bios) as you call them were doing as good a job as you say you would not have some of the problems that there are now.And I think they do need our help the anglers are the ones that are out on the lakes and rivers every day who else has a better finger on the pulse of what is happening out there. As you said EVERYONE has a right to their opinion so why complain when they voice it.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Dave.

You can't have a healthy population of medium sized fish if all the spawners are continually being killed prior to spawning a bunch of times. There needs to be a balance. Maybe in certain lakes...why not address your thoughts and call for a slot limit. If all the big fish are protected...maybe there would be larger year classes moving through the system and providing for a healthy harvest most years. This type of regulation may require more yearly research to optimize but it would solve some of the basic user based issues.

Otherwise under the regulation we have now and that you want to keep...we are seeing more and more populations crash. Historically...pike, perch, walleye, goldeye, whitefish, sturgeon, cutthroat etc. have all seen numbers crash requiring stricter regulations. The reason is the status quo you are asking for also does not work as our population has grown.

So we all need to take a step back...ignore our own selfish ideology and see what needs to be done first on a broader sense...then as horsetrader suggested try a more specific regulation for specific lakes etc.

What do you think?
A spade by any other name is still a spade. Proposals such as this one have an agenda and that is to grow fish bigger and it has nothing to do with the sound management of the Alberta fisheries. You do not impose a multitude of restrictions on anglers province wide just to grow fish bigger. If there is a problem with a certain body of water like Isle Lake then, of course, drastic action is required. But to increase keep sizes and decrease limits at places like the Kan Lakes........well, it's not hard to figure out. Anyone can present all of the fluff that they want to justify presenting any proposal but in the end people of reasonable intelligence will see it for what it is.......a self serving document designed to push an agenda.

IMO if fishing clubs want their proposals to be taken seriously then they should offer up real management suggestions and not just focus on a trying to turn every body of water in the province into C&R or "quality" fisheries. If the fish population is doing fine in a body of water then just leave it alone!

I've had my say on this and the infamous "quality" fisheries thread. If anyone feels that taking opportunities away from anglers in the name of creating better opportunities for them is sound logic then you are entitled to your opinion. I know that there is an abundance of fluff that can be used to justify it. What people need to realize though is that it is not difficult to understand exactly what the agenda of proposals such as this one is.

I'm going hunting.....back when my tags are filled.....HunterDave out.......

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-29-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
If you think this is a rehash and a waste of your time then I suggest you just ignore what is written and get on with your oh so important life.

I was not recommending opening all waters up to harvest But if all you want is over populated lakes with stunted fish then make everything C-R the idea is to find a happy medium where there is a harvest rate that the lake can handle. Would this be easy no never said it would be. Other areas are finding now that total C-R is not as good as it was thought to be. I think for some lakes a tag system is the right way.And yes reg could be a little more confusing but something has to be done. If the (Bios) as you call them were doing as good a job as you say you would not have some of the problems that there are now.And I think they do need our help the anglers are the ones that are out on the lakes and rivers every day who else has a better finger on the pulse of what is happening out there. As you said EVERYONE has a right to their opinion so why complain when they voice it.
X2 I heard you...you are saying what I am saying. We are on the same page.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
A spade by any other name is still a spade. Proposals such as this one have an agenda and that is to grow fish bigger and it has nothing to do with the sound management of the Alberta fisheries. You do not impose a multitude of restrictions on anglers province wide just to grow fish bigger. If there is a problem with a certain body of water like Isle Lake then, of course, drastic action is required. But to increase keep sizes and decrease limits at places like the Kan Lakes........well, it's not hard to figure out. Anyone can present all of the fluff that they want to justify presenting any proposal but in the end people of reasonable intelligence will see it for what it is.......a self serving document designed to push an agenda.

IMO if fishing clubs want their proposals to be taken seriously then they should offer up real management suggestions and not just focus on a trying to turn every body of water in the province into C&R or "quality" fisheries. If the fish population is doing fine in a body of water then just leave it alone!

I've had my say on this and the infamous "quality" fisheries thread. If anyone feels that taking opportunities away from anglers in the name of creating better opportunities for them is sound logic then you are entitled to your opinion. I know that there is an abundance of fluff that can be used to justify it. What people need to realize though is that it is not difficult to understand exactly what the agenda of proposals such as this one is.

I'm going hunting.....back when my tags are filled.....HunterDave out.......
Yes...this has been hashed before. You look at the glass half empty...I look at the glass half full.

You see this that F&W are taking away opportunities I see it as F&W adding opportunities.

Part of the problem is that F&W often extends blanket regulations because of the time and cost involved with figuring out lake specific regulations. I agree...if a lake is working fine...don't break it. However...you see it from your glass half empty view point which may cloud the bigger picture.

The fluff may be science...it may be a different fishing demographic than you fall into...it may be opportunities others want that you disagree with...but in the end you can't have it all your own way...and neither can I expect it all my own way.

It is about balancing user expectations with opportunities.

Cheers and I hope you have a great hunt this year. May the animals be plentiful...the weather be perfect...and the scenery be relaxing!

Sun
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I have to agree to disagree on this one my buffalo friend!I did see the thread with the rotting burbot caught and left by the commercial fisherman.I'm guess it was in northern alberta somewhere? eitherway it was bad.

My uncle is a commercial fisherman and after many years of pulling nets,he is lucky to catch one burbot every year in southern alberta.He does about 12 lakes per year...
I have to disagree to agree to disagree. Simplified, I agree.

You uncle's experience could very likely show that timing and Location is critical in avoiding burbot during the spawn. Something that is definately NOT happening at other lakes.

Recreational anglers should not be paying the price for poor commercial fishing habits. The same regulations should apply for incidental catches of Burbot as they do for Walleye and Pike.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
IMO These guys are not outdoorsmen by any sense of the word. The fellas that go out and catch a fish to eat as a shore lunch are the outdoorsmen not the ones that only want to catch a big fish, take a picture and put it back so they can keep catching it over and over again.
Didn't realize that to be an outdoorsman/woman it was a pre-requisit to have to kill something everytime you were in the woods, on a lake or river. It's pointless to try and sway someone that is used to doing things from the 60's. These types are a minority that are slowly vanishing as they die off. My father in law from sask couldn't understand C&R either untill I took him to some places around calgary to see first hand the immense fishing pressure our waters get. He was blown away by the number of ppl fishing, and then understood why C&R and limits like we have. To him a busy day on a lake is 3 or 4 other ppl on it, not 40, 50 or 100+. Some of our lakes need to have harvest on them to help thin out all the stunted fish, I agree whole heartedly. But I completely disagree with 5 a day limits on others. SRD in this province has a horible job trying to balance all this limited water. You can't make everyone happy, but there is a comprimise in there that can be found.

HD, I drive a Ram, hike all over the place, camp and backpack, and I C&R. I'm every bit an outdoorsman as the guy that needs to kill everything they catch. The difference is I would like there to still be fish around for others to catch also.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

Dave you are right and need a different way to propose your arguement.

I read back threads of the OP because I was unfamiliar with his avatar,,, anyhoo,, he has a pike guage, males max at 28 and it is the females who are bigger. With the Clear Lake changes, it's a keeper over 100cm, A HEN and I fished Clear twice and 100cm is not hard to catch.

PCR,, what if -but it would create the dumb for convenience sake crowd- but what if there was a limit of one walleye per angler on the 1st and 2nd of the month from June 1st&2nd through November 1st&2nd?

We don't thin out the fat carrots from the garden and leave the string carrots.

I just woke up and can't put it down right,, but Dave is right.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
X2 I heard you...you are saying what I am saying. We are on the same page.
scary but it does happen from time to time........lol
Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
scary but it does happen from time to time........lol
Kinda freaky...just waiting for my best stalker to profess his admiration and then I know I am dreaming.

Maybe you can get down south for a little perch action this winter!