Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM

A knife is a lethal threat.
A Taser is not the correct tool.

Unlike Hollywood movies, getting shot does not blow the assailant backwards or through a window. Most people do not even realize they have been shot, thus they continue in the motion, usually forward.

Forward. Towards the person with the gun.

Getting shot with a 40 cal, or 12g will not knock you off your feet. It may crumple you, but no distance is gained by shooting someone.

A Taser at 20ft is iffy, at best.

I guarantee you if I have a knife and you have a gun, at 25 ft or less, I will give you life threatening injuries. You MIGHT get a shot in. You better have that gun in your hand, finger on the trigger, front sight on my chest or head. And I dont move all that fast.

If the gun is in your holster, or it isnt pointed at me, you are a dead man.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Unlike Hollywood movies, getting shot does not blow the assailant backwards or through a window. Most people do not even realize they have been shot, thus they continue in the motion, usually forward.

Getting shot with a 40 cal, or 12g will not knock you off your feet. It may crumple you, but no distance is gained by shooting someone.

I guarantee you if I have a knife and you have a gun, at 25 ft or less, I will give you life threatening injuries. You MIGHT get a shot in. You better have that gun in your hand, finger on the trigger, front sight on my chest or head. And I dont move all that fast.

There you have it, the final word.

And btw Randy, sometimes you scare the livin hell out of me.......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
There you have it, the final word.

And btw Randy, sometimes you scare the livin hell out of me.......
I've done training on "surviving edged weapons", external of the police dept.
We used Glock paint markers and Taser "electric knives"

It is a humbling experience. It scares you and its all scenario based. You know the attacker personally and he still freaks you out.

And those Taser electric knives feel EXACTLY like a cut, only there is no injury.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM

News this evening says the guy had a machete AND a knife.

Enought said.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Have to ask - and i hope you give your opinion...

According to the news, the police tried to talk the man down but according to witnesses it was a matter of a minute or two before the man was shot.

Knowing the man had a knife and/or machete, you would have your gun drawn (or be ready to do so).

You say that if you had a knife and i had a gun, you could do some damage at a certain distance. What if the tables were turned? I as an average joe and you as a trained police officer with the gun?

Is this a fair outcome? I've always wondered why police shoot to kill. A bullet in the leg is going to disable anyone.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
News this evening says the guy had a machete AND a knife.

Enought said.
Yup. That'll do it for sure. A knife and a machete.
I vote suicide by cop.

Sad actually
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Is this a fair outcome? I've always wondered why police shoot to kill. A bullet in the leg is going to disable anyone.
Only in the movies does this happen....better yet just shoot the knife out of his hand then no one gets hurt.....

Anyone will be disabled? even someone high on Meth or PCP?.....

I used to rent my basement out to new RCMP recruits. I asked one of them what the line was on when you draw your weapon what are you taught to do....basically if they need to discharge a weapon the line is "2 to the body 1 to the head"

....not sure if you are a handgun shooter or not but you have to realise center mass is the highest percentage disabling/kill shot....also less likeliness of that bullet going past the target....

you have to realize what goes into this training and even some of the best IPSC shooters in the world would miss at 30 yards on a leg sized target....

No sense in having a sidearm if you are not prepared to use it....if this was a crazed lunatic and they were coming after your wife or child.....would you want a chest shot or a wound to the leg?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-12-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 PM

If someone is not obeying orders to drop whatever he's using as a weapon and comes at me, I'm going to make sure I get home to my family. Not going to get all fancy and try (and probably fail) to do a leg shot. Someone that upset can keep running with a hole in a leg.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Whoa whoa... this is what has me a little perturbed here...

Purvis said a machete and knife were found at the scene, but he could not comment on whether the man had been holding them before he was shot.

Again, pure speculation. IF he were armed, the ASIRT would have said so outright.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Banned

"suicide by cop"

That is some serious double speak.

What a world.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Bingo!!!!

Quote:

Again.. I guess you had to be there....
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Whoa whoa... this is what has me a little perturbed here...

Purvis said a machete and knife were found at the scene, but he could not comment on whether the man had been holding them before he was shot.

Again, pure speculation. IF he were armed, the ASIRT would have said so outright.
Never trust a LEO.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Never trust a LEO.
I thought you had to look out for Virgo's and Scorpio's?

LC
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
"suicide by cop"

What a world.
What color is the sky in your world ?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Have to ask - and i hope you give your opinion...

According to the news, the police tried to talk the man down but according to witnesses it was a matter of a minute or two before the man was shot.

Knowing the man had a knife and/or machete, you would have your gun drawn (or be ready to do so).

You say that if you had a knife and i had a gun, you could do some damage at a certain distance. What if the tables were turned? I as an average joe and you as a trained police officer with the gun?

Me with the knife is no different than anyone else. Im just a regular dork with a knife, like anyone else.

Me with a gun would be just as dead or injured from anyone with a knife at 25ft or less.

For argument sake, lets say i was a cop in a hallway and some dink was in the hallway with a knife.

My gun would be out, pointed at his chest, finger in the trigger. He would be told to drop the knife. If he spoke Id listen but my concentration would be on my front sight. I would not engage in dialogue. I would repeat to drop the knife. Its all i would say, over and over. If I had a partner, he would talk, I would concentrate on my front sight and keep my mouth shut.

Eventually he would either drop it, or run away,or attack me and get shot as many times as I could pull the trigger.

Engaging in conversation when posed with a lethal threat affects concentration. We can talk all night, after he drops the knife and I gain control of the situation

Chances are if he takes a run at me, he will get shot in the leg, but I was aiming at his chest.

Im confident that if he attacks me with a knife, he isnt intending on stabbing me in the leg. In fairness, I shouldnt shoot him in the leg either.

In coming at me with a knife, I instantly believe he is going to kill me. Logically, I am forced to kill him instead. And I would.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 01-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Never trust a LEO.
Quote:
"suicide by cop"

What a world.
Well if that ain't ignorance I don't know what is....
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yup you were right....straight from WIKI....

Ignorance (or witlessness) is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult. Ignoramus is commonly used in the US, the UK, and Ireland as a name of someone who is willfully ignorant or commonly known as a BeeGuy comment.

LC
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It's an opinion. Not one I agree with but that is irrelevant
Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

I'm going to be upfront here. I'm an average guy, no special skills or training.

Twice in my life i've been attacked by a knife wielding asshat, and i'm still here, no wounds to speak of. I didn't have any weapons to protect myself but I came out on top. yeah, living in downtown Toronto has it's downsides.

That's why I question all this.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I'm going to be upfront here. I'm an average guy, no special skills or training.

Twice in my life i've been attacked by a knife wielding asshat, and i'm still here, no wounds to speak of. I didn't have any weapons to protect myself but I came out on top. yeah, living in downtown Toronto has it's downsides.

You are one lucky SOB. Im glad you are here.
If you were CCW, would you have had time to draw and use it?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There's a lesson to be learned here...."Never bring a knife to a gun fight"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Guessing they wouldn't have shot him had he not been waving the knife around
X2

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Im confident that if he attacks me with a knife, he isnt intending on stabbing me in the leg. In fairness, I shouldnt shoot him in the leg either.
LOL....you do have a unique way of looking at things. I like it!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Never trust a LEO.
If the words "with your wife or girlfriend" were added to that line, Id have to agree with you. Ive known some lawdogs in my time

As far as "suicide by cop" goes, its pretty simple:

Guy wants attention or has a fight with his woman and he gets out of hand. She calls the cops. He thinks " Ill show her" so he grabs a knife and meets the cops with it in his hands. Sometimes they drop it, sometimes they get dropped. But the common thread is people know if you attack a cop with a weapon, you will be shot. Some guys want that. They wont necessarily cut their own wrists with the knife and die, but they will get themselves shot on purpose.

Its not a great label for such an incident, but when someone purposely causes their own death, its called suicide. Cops are just the tool used to accomplish it.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 01-12-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Hey Randy,

Do you remember years ago when the Calgary police officer shot an individual with an edged weapon using the Glacier round? Do you remember the hooplaw from the bleeding hearts that came after when the autopsy report said the round devasted the perps liver. All the armchair quarterbacks said the officer should have John Wayne'd the bad guy.

If I remember correctly, a short time after that, the same situation came up in Edmonton and the officer involved hesitated and was injured by the weapon (edged) the bad guy had?

I knew the officer in Calgary and he retired with disability soon after because he couldn't handle the fact he had to shoot and kill an armed man whos sole goal was to kill him.

A friend of mine I grew up with, his dad was the Chief of Police for Westmount in Quebec. His Golden rule that he taught his officers was if a man comes at you with his bare hands, you use your club. If he comes at you with anything in his hands, you shoot him.

You have a tough job bud. Be safe.
Banned

Quote:
You are one lucky SOB. Im glad you are here.
If you were CCW, would you have had time to draw and use it?
Lucky SOB? not at all, just someone who won't take crap from anyone. I know others that faced the same danger and came out on top.

My question to you Randy? You are a trained officer are you not? What's your real opinion? The ASIRT isn't saying anything - not even that the man was actually armed, only that a knife and machete were found on the scene. That really makes me leery of this whole incident, that and the fact that he was shot in someone else's apartment.

I'm cynical over all this and i'll make a prediction right now cause of the history of the RCMP. The officers will be cleared of all wrongdoing but will wind up being charged with perjury due to lying. That's happening all too often.

There are many people in this country that have been attacked by others with knives and lived to tell the tale - we aren't allowed to defend ourselves with a gun - so your question isn't valid.

That's JMO

Quote:
HAHAHA! I vote that as todays statement of the day!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Quote:

He did not have intent to kill you, if he had, you would not be here. Plain and simple! Look at prison knife attacks, very brutal, fast, killer instinct on full bore. It's over in seconds. I have trained with knives for several years, with some of the best knife fighters in the world, and man, if that guy knew what he was doing, and wanted to hurt you, then hurt you would have been. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but unarmed against a knife is a very dangerous situation, and to come out totally unharmed is very, very rare!! You sir, are a very lucky man, no wonder you eat Trinidad scorpion peppers!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
"suicide by cop"

What a world.
Fairly common. Subject doesn't have the mind set do it himself so provokes an officer to do it for him.

Tazer is a tool to answer a physical threat to an officer, officer's partner, public or subject himself. If there is a weapon that can cause death or grievous bodily harm to officers or public in the immediate area, then lethal force (firearm) is the officer's control option.

Uniforms aren't there to fight fair, sustain injury or grievous bodily harm. That's why they train and are equipped with various defensive tools.

Officers take the fight to the bad guy if that's what the circumstances dictate.

Officers are there to win 100% of their fights 100% of the time. Coming in second is not an option!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
If the words "with your wife or girlfriend" were added to that line, Id have to agree with you. Ive known some lawdogs in my time
How about, "with an unarmed civilian", or "with someone's charter rights", or "with confiscated drugs or cash", or etc etc etc

There is a problem in this country, and the 2 south of us.

Huntinstuff, thanks for showing some class whether you agree or not. That is far beyond the character of many here.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Scenario!! Rcmp- knock knock RCMP weve had a complaint of noise and dsiruption! Suspect - opens door holding knife and machete
RCMP Drop the weapons guns drawn reading to roll{ this happens in one millisecond}Small amount of dialogue is exchanged with lot's of expletives!!!!
Suspect- takes 1 step forward bang bang!
Good job boys go home safe !!