Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Default What to do with geese?

Let's say you go on a very successful group goose hunt. It's not unheard of that you could return with over 100 birds.

Do you skin/gut them all in the field? Do you bring them home and do it that night? Do you deliver them to a butcher undressed?

I have a problem with wasting meat so for me simply breasting them is not an option.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM

We get them back to where we are saying aand do ther up there.
same as my upland birds, we don't dress them in the field, but back at the hotel.
Cat
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM

As strange as it seems to some (not indicating you), a hunter should not shoot more than they can use, or get out of a tight spot. Shooting a bull moose in the bottom of a canyon before you figure out how to retrive it in good condition when its +15 out is a waste and IMO unethical. Just shoot what you know you can handle and it should be no issue.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Transport

I've been meaning to ask a similar question. We clean all the birds behind the motel, not in the field. Fortunately/unfortunately, this years snow goose hunt in Sask was much less productive, so bringing back birds was less of an issue. However it sucks having bird carcasses in the freezer.

Dads suggestion was to breast the birds and place the meat, including drumsticks in 1 back and clearly label it and put the ribcage with wing attached and place in another bag and clearly label it. Once we get back to Calgary, simple throw out the carcasses and neatly place the meat in the freezer. This would take up much less space and there would be less body parts to upset the wife. However, this is clearly illegal.

Does anyone have a better solution to legally transport many birds home after a multi-day trip?

What bugs me is that most hunting laws use the honour system. So if I wanted to poach, I'm sure I could get away with it. I'm not trying to get around bag limits, simply make consuming and storing the meat easier.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghoover View Post
I've been meaning to ask a similar question. We clean all the birds behind the motel, not in the field. Fortunately/unfortunately, this years snow goose hunt in Sask was much less productive, so bringing back birds was less of an issue. However it sucks having bird carcasses in the freezer.

Dads suggestion was to breast the birds and place the meat, including drumsticks in 1 back and clearly label it and put the ribcage with wing attached and place in another bag and clearly label it. Once we get back to Calgary, simple throw out the carcasses and neatly place the meat in the freezer. This would take up much less space and there would be less body parts to upset the wife. However, this is clearly illegal.

Does anyone have a better solution to legally transport many birds home after a multi-day trip?

What bugs me is that most hunting laws use the honour system. So if I wanted to poach, I'm sure I could get away with it. I'm not trying to get around bag limits, simply make consuming and storing the meat easier.
I just leave one wing on and wrap it with poly wrap, then bag them like that.
Tha way you hhave identification .
Cat
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Bird hitch the bird and pull all the feathers off the breast clip one wing off and bag it.
Then remove the thighs and drums and bag those accordingly.

I dont usually hunt too far from home but once home I will breast the breasts and clean up aswell with the thighs than package in freezer bags. If I do a couple day hunt I wouldnt freeze until home just keep cool in a big cooler.

I dont usually mix drums and breasts as I prepare them much different.

My favorite is to boil drums and thighs for two hours in a veg stock and let cool in the water....once cool remove from water oil and season and place on a hot grill and favorite bbq sauce and bam you have goose thighs and drums that are tender moist and taste just like beef ribs!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 AM

pluck them and take the beast out with the skin on and slow cook them, its my favourite way
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Bird hitch the bird and pull all the feathers off the breast clip one wing off and bag it. Then remove the thighs and drums and bag those accordingly.
I've always thought bird hitches removed only the breasts. Do you use the hitch to remove thighs/drums as well?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman View Post
I've always thought bird hitches removed only the breasts. Do you use the hitch to remove thighs/drums as well?
Yeah, no accusations, but now we just shoot a few and then just watch the birds or take some pics. I don't like cleaning birds much and like to roast them whole. So, it is alot of work. What my Dad did years ago was on the way home stop off at a Chinese restaurant that he frequented and traded a bunch of birds for Chinese food. I don't know if that's even legal now but don't see why it wouldn't be. Anyway, if you were to do something like that, I guess you'd have to set it up ahead of time.