Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Spinning v bait cast retrieve.

Just starting to play a bit with the whole bait cast thing. Curious why most spinning reels are left hand crank vs right hand crank on the bait caster reels. Anyone go with a left hand BC reel just to stay consistent. Tempted to try it, but I don't really want to she'll out for a decent LH reel only to find out there's a good reason most folks switch 'em up. Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 PM

You do know that spinning reels are Bon left and right handed....you just unscrew the handle and put it on the other side...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM

It is an interesting question... maybe people find it easier to control the spool with there thumb on the right hand? It is weird though as you end up switching the hand that you are holding the rod in every time that you cast. I did try a left handed baitcaster once, it was just awkward, but left handed spin fishing doesn't seem nearly as so. In fact, I found it easier for when I was trying to control the tiller on the boat and fish at the same time.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
It is an interesting question... maybe people find it easier to control the spool with there thumb on the right hand? It is weird though as you end up switching the hand that you are holding the rod in every time that you cast. I did try a left handed baitcaster once, it was just awkward, but left handed spin fishing doesn't seem nearly as so. In fact, I found it easier for when I was trying to control the tiller on the boat and fish at the same time.
x2, pretty much sums it up right there. Spinning I run the crank on the left side, cant get used to doing this with a baitcaster though.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Spinning most time is usually more for lighter tactics and where as bait casting is designed for more power heavy line/baits and faster gear ratios, that being said its what best suits you. Some guys with a Bait caster will cast with there right hand and switch hands after the cast to retrieve with there right. Most times left hand retrieve bait casters are harder to find but sometimes you see last years models for sale cause not many buy them, it's just like sports most people play hockey left bat and golf right, throw with there right and catch with there left. It's all in how you were forced to learn! Lol!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Though I can cast and retrieve both ways I prefer left handed spinning and left handed baitcast as well, like with most things fishing related its what works for you and what your preference is.. You can't generalize it and say its easier for right handed retrieve on baitcast because its completely different per person..
Old 06-13-2012, 09:17 PM

most high end top drives come in both turns
why?.................alot of pro fisherman crank left and its a gift to be able to do so
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 PM

I use......

Spinning - Left Hand retrieve

Baitcast - Right Hand retrieve

Fly reel - Left Hand retrieve

Cant explain the reason for a right hand retrieve on the baitcaster, its just what is comfortable for me.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM

Seems like the majority of pro's on the TV will cast with their right and then change hands to reel in. I do this myself, and the first dozen or so fish caught seemed just a bit weird with the rod in my left. Logically, holding the bait cast set up in the right, and reeling with the left should feel pretty natural. Might just give it a try, worst that can happen is I end up gifting it to my kid who insists on doing everything wrong handed.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Gone Hunting

I use left for spinning, can't get into a right handed retrieve. I am right handed.
For B/C I have both use both but prefer left hand retrieve. 99% is right hand casting
Fly fishing, I don't care. I cast both left or right. Usually right but when I get tired I have no trouble switching.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Traditionally before the advent of spinning reels,,, most fishing reels were right hand retrieve likely due to the fact that the level winds and fly reels of the day typically had smaller handles with tight turning radius and very low to non existant gear ratios and drags,,,, these reels were much easier to reel with the dominant hand for most anglers.

Along comes spinning reels with their larger handles and wide turing radius and reeling left handed became much easier to do. Given the popularity (well deserved, I might add) of the spinning reel in the last 50 - 60 years, we now have 2-3 generations of anglers weaned on left hand reel.

Baitcasters are essenatilly fancy level winds so we see still a lot of right hand reels, though given the high speed gear ratios and drag sysyems of today's reels, which hand you reel has very liitle bearing on "performance" anymore.

I will argue that with direct drive fly reels and extremely strong (saltwater) fish, there may be an advantage to dominant hand reeling for many anglers. When the fish clears all the slack line for you, changing hands to reel isn't really an issue any more, but cranking in 100 plus yards of line certainly is. Remember every inch you turn on the handle in this case is only one inch of line gained back on the reel.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Banned

Its weird because with spinning gear I cant get used to cranking right handed, or to be more precise I cant get used to setting the hook left handed. With casting gear I've never noticed a problem setting the hook with my left hand, and cranking with my right feels more natural with a top drive.

Might be that the types of fishing I use baitcasters for dont require as quick of hook sets... maby that right there is the whole reason.

In general maby baitcasters are used for fishing methods where instant hook sets are not as important while cranking power may be a factor, with spinning gear the oposite is often true. I realise that this is a pretty general statement and there is plenty of cross over though.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I use......

Spinning - Left Hand retrieve

Baitcast - Right Hand retrieve

Fly reel - Left Hand retrieve

Cant explain the reason for a right hand retrieve on the baitcaster, its just what is comfortable for me.
Same here.. Im left retrieve with spin a fly cause I need to use my strong arm throwing baits.. I throw right an retrieve right with bait caster. I use my right hand when reeling to balance it from spinning back in forth in my hand. All preference.