Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM

Default Ice Fishing in Hawaii

Got your attention didn't I! Normally this time of year I would be checking out the Alberta ice fishing reports but I have to go to Hawaii for a wedding over Christmas. Anyone have any experience salt water fly fishing near Kona? Before we head to Kona we will be in Honolulu for a couple of days and understand that there a few flats there that have good sized bones. Any information would be awesome!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:49 PM

I was wandering through one of the indoor malls in Waikiki and was amazed to come across a snowboarding shop. Last thing I expected to see there.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-17-2010, 05:54 PM

there's a ski resort on maui
Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
there's a ski resort on maui
yah like a Canadian would go to Hawaii to ski !!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
Got your attention didn't I! Normally this time of year I would be checking out the Alberta ice fishing reports but I have to go to Hawaii for a wedding over Christmas. Anyone have any experience salt water fly fishing near Kona? Before we head to Kona we will be in Honolulu for a couple of days and understand that there a few flats there that have good sized bones. Any information would be awesome!
Nope on the bone fish.
But be sure you do a Midnight shark hunt.

105-110 days from now I will be on that shark hunt.

Enjoy your holiday
Old 12-18-2010, 05:37 PM

If you are in Honolulu contact Greg Hill or Mike Hennessy (www.bonefishinghawaii.com) and do a trip with them. Oahu has some decent flats with some very big, although not plentiful bones. You will also run into Trevally, Barracuda and such which are great fun. They also do Billfish if that is of interest to you (requires a 10-12WT outfit). The Big Island is blessed with very deep water so it is all about the Pelagic species, you may be able to find a boat that will allow you to chuck flies but that often requires you to charter the boat which can get expensive. Hooking up with a Wahoo, Dorado, Yellowfin on a fly rod would be stellar however. Molokai and Kauai are probably the two best fly fishing destinations in the island chain, Maui the worst. Regardless, I would bring your gear and see what you can find. There is also the fresh water stuff on Oahu (Peacock Bass, Red Devils, etc) which would be fun.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 PM

Okay woolley please do tell where a woman can find herself some peacock bass?
I would love to take a day and go find me some.

March 31-april 12
CANT WAIT
Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Default Bass in Hawaii

Here are a couple of sites I found http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/ and http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/bassfishing.htm it looks like a lot of fun, now I wish I was going.

Russ C
Old 12-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly Bugger View Post
If you are in Honolulu contact Greg Hill or Mike Hennessy (www.bonefishinghawaii.com) and do a trip with them. Oahu has some decent flats with some very big, although not plentiful bones. You will also run into Trevally, Barracuda and such which are great fun. They also do Billfish if that is of interest to you (requires a 10-12WT outfit). The Big Island is blessed with very deep water so it is all about the Pelagic species, you may be able to find a boat that will allow you to chuck flies but that often requires you to charter the boat which can get expensive. Hooking up with a Wahoo, Dorado, Yellowfin on a fly rod would be stellar however. Molokai and Kauai are probably the two best fly fishing destinations in the island chain, Maui the worst. Regardless, I would bring your gear and see what you can find. There is also the fresh water stuff on Oahu (Peacock Bass, Red Devils, etc) which would be fun.
Thanks Woolly!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Default marlin fishen

not much for bone fish in kona but he off shore is great. check out "linda sue" and "golden Dragon" boath great charters for excelent price.

pm me if you like