Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Giant Pike Bites Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a87nQfFIO_s

Thanks for watching another Episode of FaZe Timid Fishing!
Please Like, Comment and Subscribe if you enjoy my content!

The last thing we expected we when headed out on the last weekend of the season was to catch and record our biggest fish yet!

And thank the lord I managed to bring her in with our tiny, little net lol!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:49 AM

I am the idiot who tried to reach in there. When Jeff told me he found his pliers I wasn't very impressed.

First time I've actually done something that dumb before, haha.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM

I'll have you know Jeff spent the next couple hours fishing in his boxers after wading into the water to grab that pike.

It was a balmy +4 with a stiff breeze, needless to say nobody can question Jeffs commitment to landing fish!
Old 11-23-2017, 12:24 PM

That was good to watch thanks . AA++
Old 11-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Entertaining video. I bet you guys might be purchasing a bigger net in the future ... lol.... that net is for minnows, not pike of that size.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Great video and great catch!
Reminds me of when I began fishing and bought a big net 'to be prepared'. I was fishing a lake with a friend and two older guys in a boat close by were mocking me for the big net. Not even five minutes later one of them had a bite that nearly sent his rod flying, 15 minutes later they had a monster pike next to their boat and a net about your size. They were happy when I rowed over to give them my net to get it out, 105cm and nearly 19 kgs.
Net can't be too big
Old 11-23-2017, 02:34 PM

EZM, we have a huge conservation net that I could probably sit inside. We left it 200 meters away in the truck though!

The whole trip we had only caught small walleye, we were not expecting that pike!

Also, the video doesn't do the pike bite justice. I was absolutely leaking all over the place after Jeff turned the camera off. Haha.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:41 PM

by the way, I caught that pike using the largest size of Rapala's Glass Shad Rap. Ghost white pattern, looks like a little bit like a whitefish when swimming in the water in low light.

I had a feeling a big momma pike was hanging around those rocks hunting whites! So glad we decided to fish for an hour before dark.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Nice looking girth on that pike too, be curious to know what she's been eating to stay that curvy, especially being a Wab pike
Old 11-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Default What was she eating...

We caught her off the rocks of Point Allison.

Whitefish spawn on that kind of pebble bottom.

I was using a lure that imitated a whitefish.

Connect the dots :-)
Old 11-23-2017, 07:48 PM

Love the energy and excitement in your vids.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Lol. Live an learn but here are a couple pointers to help you do so.

1) If your net is too small, don't use it. My buddy once yelled at me for chasing his 30 inch bull trout instead of trying to net it but I did so for a reason and that was to make sure it was tired and then I grabbed its tail. If I had gone for it with the trout net we had it would have gone similar to your pike which usually ends up with the hook snagged in the net and the fish swimming away from you. I wouldn't recommend trying a tail grab on a big pike but it would have been easy to pull her up into shallow water and grab her gill plate.

2) With pike there is a neat trick to hold them by the gill plate and then extend your middle/ring fingers pushing the pikes mouth open. It takes a bit of practice to perfect and the first couple times you have to be careful about finger placement but soon it becomes easy and it works better then a jaw spreader. I can't even remember the last time I used my jaw spreader, although I do still make sure to have it with me.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyguy View Post
Nice looking girth on that pike too, be curious to know what she's been eating to stay that curvy, especially being a Wab pike
Those big ones(35+ inch) have stayed healthy because they feed on the whites, small walleye and perch of which there has always still been lots of available.

The skinny ones are the small ones that compete with the walleye for minnows.

The reason there are fewer big pike now is a mixture of C&R mortality, natural mortality and that there are very few small pike growing to be big pike(in other words you used to catch more big pike because they were continuously being produced whereas now a guy has to rely on catching the odd big pike that was a big pike 3 years ago like this one would have been).

Glad to see there are still a few left, it will be interesting to see what happens with the regs next year considering the new survey. Unfortunately I had to use the other option to voice my opinion of walleye slay so the trophy pike fishery can come back lol.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Those big ones(35+ inch) have stayed healthy because they feed on the whites, small walleye and perch of which there has always still been lots of available.

The skinny ones are the small ones that compete with the walleye for minnows.

The reason there are fewer big pike now is a mixture of C&R mortality, natural mortality and that there are very few small pike growing to be big pike(in other words you used to catch more big pike because they were continuously being produced whereas now a guy has to rely on catching the odd big pike that was a big pike 3 years ago like this one would have been).

Glad to see there are still a few left, it will be interesting to see what happens with the regs next year considering the new survey. Unfortunately I had to use the other option to voice my opinion of walleye slay so the trophy pike fishery can come back lol.
Just look at the head on Jeffs small pike that he got on the topwater! It had a head like a 3 or 4 pounder but the body of a 1 pound fish! Kind of sad really.

I was sure to let them know using all 200 available characters that I think they need to at minimum allow tags for Walleye on Wab or a limit of 1 similar to Buck. The lake is absolutely full of Eyes. Me and Jeff caught over 60 stunted walleye in just one afternoon of fishing earlier in october. Only one out of 60 was 25". Textbook over population, and the pike are suffering! Maybe a slot size of 45 to 55 CM?
Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Lol. Live an learn but here are a couple pointers to help you do so.

1) If your net is too small, don't use it. My buddy once yelled at me for chasing his 30 inch bull trout instead of trying to net it but I did so for a reason and that was to make sure it was tired and then I grabbed its tail. If I had gone for it with the trout net we had it would have gone similar to your pike which usually ends up with the hook snagged in the net and the fish swimming away from you. I wouldn't recommend trying a tail grab on a big pike but it would have been easy to pull her up into shallow water and grab her gill plate.

2) With pike there is a neat trick to hold them by the gill plate and then extend your middle/ring fingers pushing the pikes mouth open. It takes a bit of practice to perfect and the first couple times you have to be careful about finger placement but soon it becomes easy and it works better then a jaw spreader. I can't even remember the last time I used my jaw spreader, although I do still make sure to have it with me.
I think Jeff managed pretty ok, he got her by the tail and used the net to cradle / contain its head. I think the reason it flopped out the first time was because I had reeled in too much line during the commotion and the pike was able to use the tension as leverage to flop out of his arms. If I had let out some line from my bale he would have been able to contain him much easier. I loosened my drag when he ran away the first time, making the second grab much easier. (also the fish was a lot more tired by that point)
Old 11-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
They were happy when I rowed over to give them my net to get it out, 105cm and nearly 19 kgs.
Net can't be too big
I think you probably mean 19lbs.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
I think Jeff managed pretty ok, he got her by the tail and used the net to cradle / contain its head. I think the reason it flopped out the first time was because I had reeled in too much line during the commotion and the pike was able to use the tension as leverage to flop out of his arms. If I had let out some line from my bale he would have been able to contain him much easier. I loosened my drag when he ran away the first time, making the second grab much easier. (also the fish was a lot more tired by that point)
Yes he did pretty good all things considering, just saying that from my experience I would leave the net on shore next time in that situation. The pike got most of its leverage from the edge of the net, when they are bent over the side like that and they flip their weight they almost always throw themselves out, ask me how I know lol...

I don't really remember ever seeing you guys use the gill plate grab but I consider it the best thing for pike(both for the fish and anglers sake). Something worth practising if you don't feel comfortable with because it does make it a lot easier to hold onto them and to remove hooks.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:01 PM

Nice video..... Buddy that put his hand in that pikes mouth is crazy!!! Made me cringe just watching it. Nice work fellas!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:09 AM

That's one big and beautiful pike!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Thanks for watching!

It was quite the surreal moment when that giant pikes head finally broke the surface and we knew for certain that Ben had a true hog on the end of his line!
It would of been hard to forgive myself if I had lost that fish for him but thankfully she took that glass shad rap perfectly and Bens hand tied leaders held true long enough for me to land her.
Now to catch, film and release some more beautiful fish like that one through the ice this winter!!!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timidhc View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a87nQfFIO_s

Thanks for watching another Episode of FaZe Timid Fishing!
Please Like, Comment and Subscribe if you enjoy my content!

The last thing we expected we when headed out on the last weekend of the season was to catch and record our biggest fish yet!

And thank the lord I managed to bring her in with our tiny, little net lol!
Great video, do you do the editing yourself? Crazy skills man haha.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Great video, do you do the editing yourself? Crazy skills man haha.
Thanks gloszz! I do!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Excellent videos. I enjoy watching them. I'm just curious what brand and type of line you are using on your baitcaster. I have an older one I am thinking about loading up with line and trying in the Spring. Every time I try mono line, I seem to spend more time untangling than I do fishing.. Thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 02:36 AM

Default Stren flourocast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye2u View Post
Excellent videos. I enjoy watching them. I'm just curious what brand and type of line you are using on your baitcaster. I have an older one I am thinking about loading up with line and trying in the Spring. Every time I try mono line, I seem to spend more time untangling than I do fishing.. Thanks
I have 15 pound test Stren flourocast on one of my baitcasters and 8 pound on another.

It's fairly inexpensive line that seems to work well for me

But any decent flourocarbon should work fine

Avoiding a birdsnest is all about practice and knowing how to best adjust your brakes to prevent it from happening
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Braid is a lot nicer in baitcasters imo. 20-30 lb minimum and using a smooth line like power pro super slick will increase your distance substantially although regular rougher braids will still cast farther then mono/fluoro.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Braid is a lot nicer in baitcasters imo. 20-30 lb minimum and using a smooth line like power pro super slick will increase your distance substantially although regular rougher braids will still cast farther then mono/fluoro.
That's what I've heard, but I knew I was going to be dealing with backslashes of my own as I learned how to use a baitcaster.

So I went with the far more economical choice of spooling them with flouro.

I can't wait to try out some good braid on them next year though!
Old 12-12-2017, 02:32 PM

Default ...

Keep it up guys and gals..Very entertaining and I love your enthusiasm for the sport..

As others have stated, I too can attest that it takes me back many years. Night fishing, day fishing, fishing in the rain. Didn't matter as it seemed magical,

Thank you so much for sharing