Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Cwd/euromount

Can you remove the required samples and still maintain the skull for a euromount?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Yes. Its mentions it online under the cwd testing info.

For so-called ‘European’ mounts, submit the following tissues:
Lower jaw
All tissues from the roof of the mouth at the back of the throat, and
The part of the brain that contains the connection between the spinal cord and the brain (this lies ~5 cm inside the big hole at the back of the skull)
Bag the two samples separately and then put the two bags together in a third bag. This keeps all tissues from one animal together.
Keep the deer head frozen.
You can drop off the frozen head at any Fish and Wildlife office in Alberta (during regular office hours)
During fall rifle seasons there are 24-hour freezer locations where heads can be dropped off. See Related Information below for CWD Freezer Locations (Deer Hunters: Assist Us With Our CWD Surveillance).
Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Thanks. I should have mentioned I checked that information out. It's my brothers mule deer. He was chatting with the bio at the Sp Grove location and they require the whole skull less the antlers.(as you would remove them for a shoulder mount). Just gaining some information.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:27 PM

I have submitted the samples and had the skull intact for a euro, just individually bag the separate components.

LC
Old 12-12-2017, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the input. Will be able get it looked after.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:44 PM

So can we bring a deer home from the Wainwright hunts intact and get the required parts to the F & W office after? In the event a mountable buck is harvested?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
So can we bring a deer home from the Wainwright hunts intact and get the required parts to the F & W office after? In the event a mountable buck is harvested?
Yes, we shot buck we wanted to do a whole skull euro on so the f&w officer at checkin simply removed the samples he needed from the brainstem and neck area. You would need to cape out at least to the head though. If you didn't want to do that they will just give you the sample jars and you can do it when you get home
Old 12-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
Yes, we shot buck we wanted to do a whole skull euro on so the f&w officer at checkin simply removed the samples he needed from the brainstem and neck area. You would need to cape out at least to the head though. If you didn't want to do that they will just give you the sample jars and you can do it when you get home
Thanks, I would be happy to cape up to the neck and let the taxi guy do the rest. My son and I are heading out Thursday till Saturday, you never know. Seen a cranker WT and MD buck last time we had the draw during the last rifle season.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Good luck!