Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Default Buffing scatches out of truck paint

Ok so last week some SOB runs into my truck, nice scatches, then yesturday different SOB runs a shopping cart down the door of my sons car.
The question is, can these be buffed out? What tool do I use? Buffing compond or?
I know it may not take all or any of the scrathes out but want to try. Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM

"Farecla G3" and a professional buffing wheel (important). They both should be available in Autobody supply shops. Use a small spray bottle to add a light mist of moisture if and as needed. You can also use the Farecla G10 finishing compound after the G3 but I find you don't really need it unless you're looking for spactacular shine.

For best results, you need to have a proper polishing tool, variable speed and low RPM. Looks like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I got one for $70 at Princess Auto a while ago but I don't know if they stock them.

I'm sure you could use other tools but this works very well.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 PM

I use Mequiars products and they are very good. Cambodian Tire carries them and now I see they are also selling one of their polishers, haven't taken a close look at it though. They have lots of good info and how-to videos on their website.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Keep in mind though if the scratches are deeper than the clear coat you are not going to buff them out. if they are through paint / primer and down to metal they are not buffing out so save your money.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Default paint

Thanks for the great info. The scatches look white/ light grey in black paint in both cases? I assume that is the primer showing?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwilhelm View Post
Thanks for the great info. The scatches look white/ light grey in black paint in both cases? I assume that is the primer showing?
Although it seems cheesy- spit on it or wet it and 'clean it' if the scrapes disappear when wet thats usually a sign of what will 'buff out' ie: the clear. Anything left showing will ten to one be showing after a buff job.