Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Banned

Default Done with Windows 8

I have tried it 3 times now. 3 strikes an you're out. I've done the 8.1 upgrade, the classic shell, etc. it still gets on my nerves. Back to Windows 7. My only regret is that my windows 7 version is home premium and I wish I had professional.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Banned

You won't be the first, you won't be the last...

Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 AM

Default Windows = Junk

1 word Apple
Old 04-27-2014, 03:27 AM

X1000, will never buy another annoying PC with windows anything ever again

"Always surprised at the people that come here and trash Alberta. Why put yourself through the torture of living here? Start your own thread about why Alberta is the worst place to live and why you stay."

Rugatika
Old 04-27-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
You won't be the first, you won't be the last...

if I decide to dump it how do I save all my photos and videos , email addys, favourites etc.?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseburger View Post
if I decide to dump it how do I save all my photos and videos , email addys, favourites etc.?
Go cloud.

My photos automatically get uploaded to Google pictures, I run on gmail, and anything else I sync to Dropbox.

Whether I drop my phone in the ocean, or my tablet gets run over, I'm back up and running next time I log in.

Painless.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
I have tried it 3 times now. 3 strikes an you're out. I've done the 8.1 upgrade, the classic shell, etc. it still gets on my nerves. Back to Windows 7. My only regret is that my windows 7 version is home premium and I wish I had professional.
I feel your pain, I wanted to throw my laptop off the balcony many times. I ended up paying 5 dollars at stardock.com and downloading the start8 software so everything on my computer now looks like windows 7. It saved my laptops life and my sanity.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAXMAC77 View Post
1 word Apple
You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 AM

I have a MacBook Pro with a Windows partition so I can run Quickbooks. Aside from that, I play games in Windows, but for everything else, I log into Mac OS. I gave up on Windows as a work environment a while back.

I'm still running Windows 7.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
X1000, will never buy another annoying PC with windows anything ever again
Me neither. Next computers will be Apple iMac and MacBook Pro for me. No more stupid Microshaft OS and the stupid "Program Not Responding" error message.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Banned

i bought a new laptop with windows 8 in it.........cudn't get anything to work the way i thot it shud, so got my computer guy (i can't program the tv!) to change it back to xp. he said microsoft COULD NOT withdraw support due to the numbers of people who were still using that system.

WRONG..........microsoft has withdrawn support and that, i'm told forces everyone, including me, to update. i refuse to use 8, so guess it's out the window for all my computer stuff so i can by mac stuff and learn to use their system. microsoft figured everyone wud be forced into their new system, but i am not going there. their new 8 absolutely sucks, in my opinion......plus i don't like being bullied.

how is it, that (if the numbers i hear r correct) 40% of the systems out there r using xp or 7, that microsoft figures it can shaft everyone hard enough that they will upgrade (!!??**) to 8?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 AM

30 year MS/Windows guy, going all the way back to DOS 2.1. Had to use MS for work so stuck with it until last year, then a restore from backup failed due to a corrupted Windows 7 security update. Same security update bricked a friend's Asus laptop. That was the last nail in the coffin and switched completely to Mac OSX with two desktops, Airport router, Ipad and a Macbook Pro. Windows machines went to the dump for recycling, kept one for archive of old programs in case I have to retrieve past work.

The functionality of the Mac operating systems is robust. IT departments endorse Windows because it keeps them in business. I am running a home network with 5 computers, media streaming to HD TVs, AC wireless, and 3 NAS boxes without crashes for over 6 months, one Mac has never been rebooted except for a OS upgrade.

I went to a buddy's place to do a fill out his passport application and test for media streaming setup. I laughed at him two hours while he tried to load a fillable PDF and print it, the Windows machine froze BSD every time when it went to print. The solution was to log my Macbook onto his wireless and then print. If you have a critical application that runs on Windows only, dedicate a single machine to running that and do everything else on Macs.

Last edited by badger; 04-27-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 AM

I have been living with my Macbook Pro for a week and a half and really like it.
I thought the 13 in screen would be too small but its not and the screen is amazingly clear.
There are some quirks about the operating system and how to do things that I am still trying to figure out, but I don't regret not going Windows for a second.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 AM

Running Win7 for work, nice and stable system.
Win8 on wifes laptop… holy crap…had to spend an afternoon trying to figure out how to shut it down.
Personal laptop has been a MacBookpro for years now… never a complaint, always works when you want it to.
If you can, go Mac and never looked back.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 AM

Thumbs up 'Windows 7'

They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Mac
Old 04-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Just bought a MacBook Pro, and so much less hassle.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:24 PM

A good example of the left hand not talking to the right in business is
the fact that every application I installed on Windows 7 works EXCEPT
MS SQL Server 2003 and MS Foxpro.
I can run Interbase, Paradox, Delphi, PhotoShop 8 and a host of other
applications and dbs from days gone by, but not those two MS products
without paying for an upgrade to them.
Talk about cutting your own throat. What a joke.

Wonder what Bill thinks about MS today ?
Do not think he would use a Mac but wouldn't be surprised if he runs
Linux.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 04-27-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM

7 or XP are the only way to fly IMHO.

I've had three new computers at the shop/office swapped over from 8 to 7.

8 is pure sh1t

My oldest 'puter is a 7 year old Toshiba laptop that gives me less problems than all the others combined.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:41 PM

8 is fine if you do the 'windows 8 start button' mod. I have it on a couple computers and will leave it as is. I have not updated anything to 8.1.

But that said I just bought 4 more copies of 7.

Before you drink the iKoolaid, remember they have issues too. None are perfect.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM

I upgraded from XP to 8.1 a couple weeks ago when they stopped supporting XP. I would love to switch to Apple, but all my business stuff is currently run off QuickBooks and the hassle to change was bad enough going to 8.1....but 8.1 sucks sooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaad! I hate it too. The shell helps marginally, but it takes three clicks of a mouse to do what took one with XP (which was so intuitive and quick to learn, which is why I stuck with it. I hated Vista on my laptop, saw no reason to switch to 7). 8 is a Mistake.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 PM

there are a whole bunch of different add on patches for windows 8 that make sit absolutely identical to windows 7. the patches are also free.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 PM

why do you need a whole bunch of patches to make POS Win8 is to look like Win7 if you can still get Win7?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Help

I can still get windows 7 computers Brand new. 3 year on site warranty with them if anyone is interested. They come with the windows 8 upgrade on cd.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 PM

I got so frustrated a few days ago I bought a mac as well. Why do we pay money for systems that don't work. If microsoft hasn't figured it out by now then too bad for them. Going to keep my old laptop and switch to linux.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM

Been running a Mac for about 4 years now, don't regret it at all. When it comes time for a new machine, I am 99% sure it will be another Mac.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM

I don't get why they tried to put android type software on a computer...

Windows 7 is actually pretty good too, not sure why they abandoned it instead of just trying to improve it.

Don't even get me started on the fruity computers...
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned

i must be misunderstanding the problem here.......it's not just that 8 is a mother f to figure out..........its that microsoft has withdrawn all support for the older systems.

as i understand it, they aren't providing security updates anymore, plus as new programs come out there won't be updates to allow ur xp or 7 system to access them.

sure u can still buy them, but with no support, ur computer is open to all types of security/hacking problems. in the past all u had to do was install the security updates and u were good to go.....now the security updates are no longer available.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliface View Post
there are a whole bunch of different add on patches for windows 8 that make sit absolutely identical to windows 7. the patches are also free.
If that is the case, why not just stick with win 7?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Banned

I'm going to sell my copy of windows 8 professional on ebay.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Does anyone run excel and word files on their Mac and exchange those files with other employees that run PC's? I am thinking of switching to a mac, just a couple things I need to make sure of. Tired of MS screwing things up/. Every program re-issue just slows the computer down more and more.