Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2008, 12:43 PM

Hey buck wheat! I may be a fool for asking but Im not certain so I gotta ask. What was the culprit?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 PM

My buddys weirdest catch. On the NSR.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Hey buck wheat! I may be a fool for asking but Im not certain so I gotta ask. What was the culprit?

Hey FisherPotch, the culprit was a big fat sealion. They are fairly well fed out there. I swear they home in on the sound of screaming real like it was a dinner bell.

I give up. What's that your friend snagged?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:37 PM

I caught a cormorant once while fishing from shore in Victoria. He was flying low just as I was casting and the line wrapped around a wing. We got him off after a bit of a struggle. He was not in a good mood.

Another time I lost a fishing lure while fishing below a dam. A few weeks later fishing in the same spot I got snagged again. I reefed really hard and a ball of tangled fishing line and lures came up. If I remember correctly I got about ten lures out of that ball of line including the one I lost the week before.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Caughta a "Croc"

Was out fishing at Coal Lake with my two boys a few weeks back. Didn't have much luck - my 11 year old caught one hammer handle pike which was the only fish of the day. However, I managed to land a "Croc" as you can see from the attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1585_edited-1.jpg (113.2 KB, 582 views)
Old 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM

my eyelid,my ear, my buddies dog,a sock, a pair of stanfields, a line with someones fish still on it,a swallow and a sea gull.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM

Casted out a Len Thompson spoon at Blood Indian when a turn flew bye. I nailed him, what a fight after the 60 yard cast.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Was ice fishing for pike a few years back, my buddy 10 yards away hooked into one, then a few seconds later so did I. We both thought we had a monster on, until we realized that when one guy jerked up the rod tip, the reel on the other started to scream. I let him bring it in, and we had hooked a small pike in the mouth and tail.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:27 PM

I caught a dog ball yesterday
Old 06-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Some interesting catches out there. A collection of photos on this topic would make a cool sportsman's (or person's) coffeetable book.

I have a few.

- A turtle took my fly in Edwards Lake, BC.
- A young mallard at Police Lake, AB.
- A grebe, also at Police Lake.
- Snagged someone's lost pickeral rig, with a nice fat rainbow on one hook and a rocky on the other, Elk River, BC.
-Landed a good sized dolly that swallowed a rocky that was on my line, Elk River, within Fernie.
- A sculpin in Kookanusa. I had no idea there were freshwater species.
- Someone's rubber boot tumbling in the current on the Elk River, BC. I had to walk this thing downstream for a good 200 metres. At first I really thought I had hooked a big Dolly.
- A really big, ugly eel while jigging for lingcod near Whiterock, BC.
- A denim jacket in Henderson Lake, Lethbridge, AB.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
I caught a dog ball yesterday
WOW!!!
I'll bet that dog was yelping in pain!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
WOW!!!
I'll bet that dog was yelping in pain!!!

LOL NOT THE DOG.. HIS TOY BALL :P
Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 PM

when i was 12 my buddy hooked my other friend in the eye ball a back cast on the red river in manitoba and last summer my dad went back to cathfish on the red and a guy in the boat beside him caught a dead ladies body she had been in the river for over two weeks..... not pretty
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 AM

3 weeks after the pine lake tornado i hooked onto the heaviest pillow ive ever lifted, in 25 feet of water. then 20 minutes later caught a full bag of clothes, sadly thats all i caught that day
Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 AM

My dad pulled in a 14ft edson boat with a rusty 20 Johnson about 10 years ago with his down rigger. took a while and burnt out his down rigger but mannaged to get it in. I heard some guy got drunk and tipped it over by Montgomery reef in the straight of georga.

G-len
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM

When I was younger I caught a sleeping bag, man I thought I had a monster on the line!

Walking back to camp after dark we had bats flying all around us and my brother was trying to shoo them off with his pole and hit one.

Another time we were fishing from a boat and cousin had a worm on his line and set the pole down for a minute and the pole flew out the boat. Later when we pulled up anchor there was a line wrapped around it, pulled it in and the side with the pole broke but still pulled in the fish. Caught the fish and lost the pole.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

I used to live in Medicine Hat, and I would sometimes go fishing at the Echodale Park pond just out of the city. One time I hooked into a crayfish, and another time I somehow managed to catch a freshwater clam!! I guess I had been retrieving my lure close to the bottom, and it was grabbed by an open clam or something! I know the SSR has clams in it, and they get the water for the pond from the river. Maybe some clam larvae got transferred to the pond. I didn't catch any trout that day, but I did catch some weird things!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Eagle

Was fishing with a few buds one year down in Salmon Arm in the narrows, Fishing for the big bows but all we were catching were kokanee when all of a sudden my buddy starts cursing and swearing. He had a small kokanee on and an eagle grabbed it and tried to fly off with it. It flew around in circles even backward before it finally let go. Then it dive bombed us just schreeching and went and landed in a tree on shore were he sat for at least 4 hours just plain tuckered out. We got the kokanee to the boat and it was all tore up. We threw it out and hoped the eagle would come and get it but I don't think he wanted anything to do with it. The whole time I was laughing until I cried. My other buddy got it on video. I'll give him a call to see if he still has it
T
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM

I have caught bats in the Crowsnest, toads near Caroline, Seagulls in Sundance, Musrats and Beavers in K-Country, toilet paper in the North Saskatchewan and a shopping cart in the North Saskatchewan.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM

The first time that I used a down-rigger I caught and landed a fishing net...My son hooked a line and when he brought it in, it was attached to a broken fishing rod...In the Bow River chip bags and plastic shopping bags....
Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM

A flyline when i was chum fishing on the Squamish River, with a chum still on the line. New line but it looked like a bad knot from the backing to the line. First time i ever hand lined a salmon in before.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 PM

Default Long list

Brown Bat, Muskrat, Beaver, Goldeneye duck, Swallow, shoe, tire, used condom (NSR), Shopping cart, rod and reels, rusty shotgun, duck decoy, and a clam (Wabamun).

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 PM

Location: past the dead tree where the john bros faught in '52

pulled a berkley rod with a johnson citation(110) reel out of lac st. anne, strange cause i brought it up with the anchor out of about 20' of water. setup is from the early 50's and it hangs on the wall of the shack we have out there, in mint condition, can't buy em like that anymore
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 PM

I forgot I made my Langara guide laugh when I caught a big chunk of temperate coral on one jig and then followed up with a rock.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker197 View Post
pulled a berkley rod with a johnson citation(110) reel out of lac st. anne, strange cause i brought it up with the anchor out of about 20' of water. setup is from the early 50's and it hangs on the wall of the shack we have out there, in mint condition, can't buy em like that anymore
Strangely enough I was speaking to a relative about this post a few minutes ago turns out he lost that rod in 1987, very cool!

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 AM

While Walleye fishing in Minnesota, a buddy hooked a mask and snorkel... Dead weight seems to give a good bit of resistance.... Just gld there was no one attached to the mask and snorkel
Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM

I was fishing topwater plugs on Windermere for bass, suddenly a bunch of seagulls dive down towards my plug. One picks it up and gets hooked in the lip (turns out they have a bit of skin insidethe beak) I fight this bird and land it (wierd fight half sky half water). Then I get my wife to pop the hook free while I tame the bird on the flooor of the boat. Now I am thinking this can't possibly happen twice, so I take anothert cast. I look up as I twitch the bait on the surface and notice a Perigrine Falcon eyeing my bait. I stop moving it thinking it won.t attack a dead bait. Too late the Falcon is in full dive mode, I stare in awe as it picks up my bait in its talons and off it goes. I have never had line scream off my reel so fast in my life. So I grab the spool to stop the falcon from taking all my line from the reel, SNAP!! the lure is free. The Falcon took a couple more beats of his wings and must of realized this thing did not feel real, so it let go. I pulled the boat over to my lure put it in the box and went with a spinner bait, I figured a 2 bird limit was plenty for me.

Alex Kreis
Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 PM

C & R a condom from the north sask

Must have been all the campers upstream during may long!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM

This past summer When I was in Manitoba fishing for Catfish. We were fishing at the Locks , about 10 feet from where the water is coming threw , and I reel in my like thinking I got something good on , I reel it is , not fighting like a big fish I look over to my guide and say these cats don't fight very good , so I keep reeling it in he grabs the net , Its a 10 foot piece of Rebar . To this day longest thing Ive landed .

Of course fishing for sturgeon down at the North Saskatchewan river Ive caught used rubbers , and a piece of skin with hair that was really nasty , clams , dead goose , car tire , lots of used lines , a huge branch from a tree ,hooks .

But the best would of been Pigeon lake , I hooked up with a walleye , I forgot to re tie my line after about the 50th or more fish of the day , I was with Sucram , the thing snapped my line so I grab my other rod as it was already tied I could see my float moving so I put a new smelt on cast out to where my bobber and hook was in this fish , BANG Fish on , I got my other gear back and a nice 5 pound walter . That was a gooder .
Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrooks View Post
C & R a condom from the north sask

Must have been all the campers upstream during may long!
MMMMMM Extra protein .