Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default waleye rig suggestions??

What would you guys suggest as a good walleye/pike fishing rod/spincast combo for fishing northern lakes in the $150 to $200 range ??

Also...any suggestions for a good portable fishfinder in the under $300 category? We're heading up to Winefred this weekend and need to get outfitted. Been a while since I've fished for walleye or pike for that matter.

Thanks for the info.
Rug
Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 PM

PM sent
Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

Default thx

Thx BBJ. I'll have to look into the finder with GPS sounds like a good combo. And I'm gonna try the baitcaster too.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're close to Calgary, stop by the Fishin' Hole and they'll get you set up. Ask for Kelly if he's around.

I'm a Shimano fan, so for the $200 I'd go with a Clarus or Compre rod and Symetre spinning reel, but regardless of brand, you'll be able to set yourself up with a good quality rod and reel for that kinda money. Anything in the 6'6" range in a medium action with a fast tip is the best bet for an all around rod. You can get a decent St. Croix or Fenwick, or a top of the line Quantum, Berkley, Rapala etc... in the $80-120 range. I'd go with a good quality spinning reel - Shimano, Pflueger, Quantum, etc..., again, $80-120.

The Fishin' Hole has a couple or ready packaged Shimano combos you may want to look at too.

I can't help much on the fish finder.

Waxy

P.S. While you're shopping, just think about the gas money you'll watch evaporate out the tail pipe on your trip with nothing to really show for it, and then compare that to the value of the fishing gear you're about to buy and how long you'll have it. It makes rationalizing spending a few more $$$ on your setup a lot easier.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

Default ahhh

That's what I love about all the co-dependents on here. We can always rationalize new gear purchases.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

Default kelly

[QUOTE=Waxy;187646]I'm not sure where you are, but if you're close to Calgary, stop by the Fishin' Hole and they'll get you set up. Ask for Kelly if he's around.

Kelly will be the guy in the cool hat
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned

Default got it

picked up a berkley series one rod and an abu garcia silver max baitcasting reel.

didn't get a fish finder.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
That's what I love about all the co-dependents on here. We can always rationalize new gear purchases.
Ain't that the truth!

Waxy
Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
picked up a berkley series one rod and an abu garcia silver max baitcasting reel.

didn't get a fish finder.
I've got a couple of the Series One rods myself, they're nice rods, I think you'll be happy with it.

I'm a little surprised by the choice of a baitcaster though...

Enjoy the rig.

Waxy
Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Default something different

Been fishing with spinning gear my whole life (although I only fish maybe 5 or 10 times a year anyway) and liked the idea of a low profile reel on the rod rather than having the spinning reel hanging down. Plus BBJ recommended one. And it's different. I've heard they can be tricky to get the hang of but apparently if they're set up right they work pretty good and "birds nests" can be made to appear only rarely.

I'll file a report when I get back on how it worked out. I'll be packing backups for the trip.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 PM

If your sold on a baitcaster this is the one id get .

https://server21.lfchosting.com/TFH1...023&C=023&D=02
Perfect to cast aswell sas to run plainer boards. Matched with this rod.

https://server21.lfchosting.com/TFH1...C=013&PAGEAT=2

Or this rod
https://server21.lfchosting.com/TFH1...C=013&PAGEAT=2

and this reel for everyday casting.

https://server21.lfchosting.com/TFH1...TSBYCLASSG=023

I use both those set ups and I couldnt be happyer
Old 09-24-2008, 12:27 PM

I would normally push Quantum products on you, due to the fact that i love the high end Quantum tackle to death..... but if you want to lay down some more money, and buy some premium gear, and are stuck on a baitcaster, i'd say look into one of the Shimano Calcutta model of reels, and a St Croix, Legend series rod.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
What would you guys suggest as a good walleye/pike fishing rod/spincast combo for fishing northern lakes in the $150 to $200 range ??

Also...any suggestions for a good portable fishfinder in the under $300 category? We're heading up to Winefred this weekend and need to get outfitted. Been a while since I've fished for walleye or pike for that matter.

Thanks for the info.
Rug
the barbie , ninja turtles or fisher price combos. i've seen a lot of decent fish caught with them on the forums recently .
Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default back from winnie

Well we managed to get into some pike although for the most part fishing was pretty slow up there.

The baitcaster took some getting used to resulting in a few birds nests, but I persevered and got the reel set up and got onto using it. Think I'll be making the switch to baitcasting.