Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 PM

I was using shrimp with the wire worm hooks I made. Same spot as last time. I think there must be a spring entering the lake there. There was alot of water on the ice. And the ice was really soft. I went out the check the tip ups and you could see the ice flexing, hear it stressing and it even dropped an inch or 2 suddenly. Dan thought I had fallen through. Measured 10 - 12 inches all around though

Got to meet Paul from Wee Hours Tackle face to face too, Nice guy.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Hasse works for me.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:42 AM

works for me too what the hell is a Hasse?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 AM

Isn't a Hasse somewhat of a Hassle? lol

FYI -> The lake was named for Frederick Hasse, who started farming beside the lake in 1936
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I was using shrimp with the wire worm hooks I made. Same spot as last time. I think there must be a spring entering the lake there. There was alot of water on the ice. And the ice was really soft. I went out the check the tip ups and you could see the ice flexing, hear it stressing and it even dropped an inch or 2 suddenly. Dan thought I had fallen through. Measured 10 - 12 inches all around though

Got to meet Paul from Wee Hours Tackle face to face too, Nice guy.
I don't know if there's a spring over that way or what. Last weekend we started off on the opposite side of the lake, and when we walked across the middle towards that little bay, we were walking in quite a bit of water that had a thin layer of ice and then the snow on top of it. Still at least a solid 8-9" under the layer of water though

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Dan's in too. He's pretty eager after I smoked him 4 nothing at chickacoo today
Where have I seen that before.... oh yeah last week when I pulled 4 Sorry Jay couldn't help myself.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:59 PM

i think i am free to go as well. hasse is close to me. i have a few rods and a 10" gasser. i havent used it yet, cause my wife bought it for me for xmas but wont let me use it till the 25th. can you believe that? cant wait to drill my last hole by hand! looking forward to meeting more people from ao
Old 12-20-2009, 05:48 PM

sweet looks like there will be a few of us out there and I just grabbed me a new 4 man tent at wss. 20% plus my fast talking wife bent the guy over because it was the last one (floor model) $140 for a f man icecube? not the best of brands maybe but I wanted something I could stand up in (6'1) and hey for that price what the heck. Next purchase will be a gas auger... I hope.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:48 PM

whoops that being said anyone wanna go out tomorrow?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
whoops that being said anyone wanna go out tomorrow?
id like to go try out the new shanty but not quite ready adn i have to work tomrrow

Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 PM

hey moose congats on the tent! So if you guys decide hasse then im in. never been there, kinda avoided the crowded places, but for a gathering then crowded is good! would be nice get a good ice report and if it is a little thin, how far to hump gear...hopefully we won't have to pull out the - 40 stuff!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
hey moose congats on the tent! So if you guys decide hasse then im in. never been there, kinda avoided the crowded places, but for a gathering then crowded is good! would be nice get a good ice report and if it is a little thin, how far to hump gear...hopefully we won't have to pull out the - 40 stuff!!!
Yeah no doubt, I'm thinking the ice should be decent i heard 10+ inches just down the road at wab (warm lake) i can only guess at least 12". But I'll gladly hump some gear for you if need be. Maybe a guy should bring the quad?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Where have I seen that before.... oh yeah last week when I pulled 4 Sorry Jay couldn't help myself.
Seems that's the way that place works. First time out I got 3 and Adam got skunked. Next time you got 4, Zan got 1 and I got skunked. Next time Adam got 4 and Dan got skunked.

There's always a hot seat!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
sweet looks like there will be a few of us out there and I just grabbed me a new 4 man tent at wss. 20% plus my fast talking wife bent the guy over because it was the last one (floor model) $140 for a f man icecube? not the best of brands maybe but I wanted something I could stand up in (6'1) and hey for that price what the heck. Next purchase will be a gas auger... I hope.
That's a wicked deal on the ice cube man!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Needless to say I haven't been there either...just how crowded is crowded though? I'm sure it can't be *that* bad?

No matter what it sounds like there are quite a few people who will be able to make it, so we'll have a bit of a crowd of our own...if we have to we can just pick an area and take it over!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 PM

well the 28th is a monday... wait thats the date right? it might not be too bad but then again isn't that what were going for, a crowd? Should be awesome can't wait to meet some other folks. Look forward to seeing the ones I've already met again!! FYI my tent will be the one that says "BEER" on it.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Ill be the one with the flask of the good stuff

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Needless to say I haven't been there either...just how crowded is crowded though? I'm sure it can't be *that* bad?

No matter what it sounds like there are quite a few people who will be able to make it, so we'll have a bit of a crowd of our own...if we have to we can just pick an area and take it over!
i was out on it on sat. with my 4 year old maybe 15 other people out every one i talked to said they got lots of small perch we got 4 keepers, well my little guy thought his 4 minnows were keepers.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Well, that's a little busier than I expected, but I'm sure we'll still make a good go of it

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
i was out on it on sat. with my 4 year old maybe 15 other people out every one i talked to said they got lots of small perch we got 4 keepers, well my little guy thought his 4 minnows were keepers.
Cool! Well perch are good!! Think I'll bring the daughter with me big or small any catch for a 5 year old is exciting. Same set up for perch as trout? ie: shrimp on a small jig head?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 AM

I'm in as well. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you. Better make sure my drill batteries are all charged.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie55 View Post
I'm in as well. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you. Better make sure my drill batteries are all charged.
Do you have one of those auger drill attachments? I'd really like to see one in action

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Cool! Well perch are good!! Think I'll bring the daughter with me big or small any catch for a 5 year old is exciting. Same set up for perch as trout? ie: shrimp on a small jig head?

I had minnows and worms just got some shrimp last night I will try them on the 28th
Old 12-21-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Well, that's a little busier than I expected, but I'm sure we'll still make a good go of it

They wrere all close to the boat launch and saying stuff like "can't wait till I can drive out" so I think we will have lots of room we fished close to 12inch+ of ice
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
They wrere all close to the boat launch and saying stuff like "can't wait till I can drive out" so I think we will have lots of room we fished close to 12inch+ of ice
So are you our resident Hasse guide?

What's access like out there? If the ice isn't decent enough to drive out on, will we have to go for much of a hike to find a decent spot?

Might try to get myself a sled to pull my junk around in before we head out there

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Geezle,
Yep, have an attachment. Works really well so far. Be glad to show it to you out there.
Doug
Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM

if you guys are looking for perch bait, Ive been catching a crapload on wireworms, flies and even bare hooks with Gulp Maggots on them. havent even gone thru a fifth of a jar yet and Ive caught a few hundred perch so far. Im sure the ones in your hood will eat the same thing.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
So are you our resident Hasse guide?

What's access like out there? If the ice isn't decent enough to drive out on, will we have to go for much of a hike to find a decent spot?

Might try to get myself a sled to pull my junk around in before we head out there
no i am not your guide, sorry, i have been on it a few times. you go out from the boat launch on the north, north east side. in the center is a island most people are from the boat launch/dock to the island the largest fish i ever got at hasse was from the far southeast side in the summer. i have a map of the lake with all the depths from the atlas of alberta lakes i got from Edmonton library every one should look at that book sometime.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
no i am not your guide, sorry, i have been on it a few times. you go out from the boat launch on the north, north east side. in the center is a island most people are from the boat launch/dock to the island the largest fish i ever got at hasse was from the far southeast side in the summer. i have a map of the lake with all the depths from the atlas of alberta lakes i got from Edmonton library every one should look at that book sometime.
Cool, I'll have to see if I can track down a depth chart for the lake...thanks

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-22-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
if you guys are looking for perch bait, Ive been catching a crapload on wireworms, flies and even bare hooks with Gulp Maggots on them. havent even gone thru a fifth of a jar yet and Ive caught a few hundred perch so far. Im sure the ones in your hood will eat the same thing.
Wicked...I never even thought to try flies on perch, but it makes sense. Might give it a shot since I never managed to try the flies through the ice for trout like I said I was going to

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams