Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 AM

My friend got a ticket for havin barbed hooks in his tackle box
he went to court and got that guy fired for personal property or something, its part of the canadain charter or something
he studied law
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 AM

Default CO

This is my opinion i would definately fight it in court if you pinched and i would be absolutely outraged if he searched my box and gave me a ticket for all the barbed hooks considering it is legal in saskatchewan to fish barbed if he confiscated my lures it would be over a $2000 loss for all my barbed lures. They have no right at all to confiscate lures in your box that are barbed and not in use. Alot of the times when i am fishing i will try one of my lures and debarb it when im ready to fish. I have been checked a few times and no problems for just simply squeezed barbs. Sounds like he was having a bad day If you can take him to court. I Personally think that they should make a huge change to our fishing laws and regulations. I Love fishing in Alberta dont get me wrong but i feel saskatchewan has a far superior fishing system and conservation plan and wish some of the things would be implemented in alberta. Alberta has been ruining some of the lakes by taking away catch limits and making it a draw system. Sure Pigeon Lake is fun and you can go and catch hundreds of fish per day but they are way overstocked and beginning to get diseased and sick the last few times i have fished there over 25% of the walleye were seriously under fed and alot were growing sists and tumors they really need to put a limit on the lake and have a more manageable fish population even if it is only one fish per person i personally rarely keep fish but think it would be extremely good for the lakes populations and to allow the fish to grow faster and be healthier. Pigeon Lake is just one example Pinehurst is another up and comer pinehurst was always a aewsome place to fish and catch nice walleye but now since the limit is 0 without tag it will overpopulate and all you will be able to catch is small underfed walleye . Alberta Needs A change and needs to learn some things from saskatchewan.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 AM

Default NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiUnagi View Post
I really think they should stop selling hooks with barbs in Alberta completely or start carrying barbless hooks on all lures/rigs throughout 90% in all store throughout the province. 90% only because I'm sure there's people who will argue they want to buy a lure/rig that will be used outside of AB. Otherwise I would suggest 100%.

That will help eliminate/lower the chances of anyone forgetting or just don't know its a law and end up getting a ticket.

Rapalas are expensive enough with barbs and making them barbless would make me have to pay extra here and fish barbless is sask where it is legal
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 AM

The barbless law was one of the stupid things that Ralph's World brought us.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM

As far as I am concerned the whole barbless issue is bull. The idea of the barb is to keep the fish on.(so we can release them if we choose)

I have lived and fished in England where most of the fishing is catch and release,many of the fish have been named by anglers after being caught so often.Most of these fish were caught on barbed hooks and survived.

The barbless rule is just another tool for the nit picking type of CO to nail you with if he or she fee linclined.

Whats next(perhaps we could hunt using knockout darts for big game then let them go after we take a few pics)
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Cannot agree more
Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Cannot agree more
x2
Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 PM

Not 100% certain if it was engine oil I was reading, been a long time since then, but it was said that if a company mandatorily requires their engine to use a specific type of oil and nothing else otherwise it voids the warranty, then that company is lawfully required to provide engine oil free of charge to owners/users of that engine.

The same should apply to this AB barbless hook law. AB should provide barbless hooks free of charge otherwise they cannot fine anyone not using it. Completely ludicrous.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:03 PM

so for all the gun hunters that want to hunt in a bow only zone....the government should buy them all a bow?

where do you think the money would come from if the government would start handing out barbless hooks?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 PM

i think small hooks should be allowed to be barbed

try to find size 18 hook that is barbless.
and they are like inposible to unbarb because the hooks are so small.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:16 AM

I wouldn't be against using barbed hooks if the hooks are tiny. With tiny hooks, it would hardly make a difference in the welfare of the fish being realeased IMO. Though I think it is still a good thing to keep the trebles barbless. I find that many times where barbed hooks were legal... the trebles that were barbed, made a much larger mess of the fish than the same trebles with the barbs crushed. All in all after using a barbed treble for a very short time, I switched to a single barbed hook and the single barbed hook hardly made a mess of the fish IMO.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Exactly

Barbless hook issue is a feel good law only.

No evidence to show it kills fish!!!!!!!!!!

Ya want to do something about mortallity rates - Then go bait ban in Alberta.

That would make a difference!

I dont want to see a bait ban in Alberta but it would have at least made some sense then.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 05-07-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
so for all the gun hunters that want to hunt in a bow only zone....the government should buy them all a bow?

where do you think the money would come from if the government would start handing out barbless hooks?
sorry but you're so missing the point
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
sorry but you're so missing the point
with all respect.....first you want to ban all barbed hooks in Alberta or get the fishing industry to accomodate the small barbless world market.....now your complaint is barbless hooks are useless.....if im missing the point its because well - i dont get your point.

You dont like the barbless LAW because what?
1-Youve lost alot of Trophy fish at PCR because of being barbless?
2-You hate King Ralph because your not a Conservative?
3-The operation of pliers to pinch barbs is too hard?
Its a simple fact its the law, time is better spent learning to be a better fisherman than beotching to lure manufactures about lures they make and the government for making laws that Most can live with.

Have a great fishing season
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM

barbless is the only way to go, dont loose any more fish with out the barbs.

i will never use barbs anywhere in the world again
Old 05-07-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post

Barbless is not a big deal i have been to sask and used barbs after fishing here and HATE barbs due to difficulty of removal after catching, damage caused due to hooking around the gill in pike and walleye and tearing large holes in the mouth of our soft mouthed friend the trout. By large i mean bigger than barbless in Conclusion i will fosh barbless next time i hit sask
Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post

I totally agree with this post. I been fishing barbless now for at least 10 years.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Barbless is not a big deal i have been to sask and used barbs after fishing here and HATE barbs due to difficulty of removal after catching, damage caused due to hooking around the gill in pike and walleye and tearing large holes in the mouth of our soft mouthed friend the trout. By large i mean bigger than barbless in Conclusion i will fosh barbless next time i hit sask
Vast majority of the time a simple twist with pliers and fish is free.

damage caused due to hooking around the gill in pike and walleye

Damage is from the hook

tearing large holes in the mouth of our soft mouthed friend the trout. or any fish for that matter

Mostly the result of the fight itself not the barb.

More of a fish handling issue. No evidence to support barbless. Infact see more people digging for their 10 cent hook instead of cutting the line now(because it is so much easier and will not hurt the fish any more-ya right).

And yes I do pinch them. Its the law. But only a feel-good law.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Exactly

Barbless hook issue is a feel good law only.

No evidence to show it kills fish!!!!!!!!!!

Ya want to do something about mortallity rates - Then go bait ban in Alberta.

That would make a difference!

I dont want to see a bait ban in Alberta but it would have at least made some sense then.
Quote:
with all respect.....first you want to ban all barbed hooks in Alberta or get the fishing industry to accomodate the small barbless world market.....now your complaint is barbless hooks are useless.....if im missing the point its because well - i dont get your point.

You dont like the barbless LAW because what?
1-Youve lost alot of Trophy fish at PCR because of being barbless?
2-You hate King Ralph because your not a Conservative?
3-The operation of pliers to pinch barbs is too hard?
Its a simple fact its the law, time is better spent learning to be a better fisherman than beotching to lure manufactures about lures they make and the government for making laws that Most can live with.

Have a great fishing season
in the usa the fishing with barbs hooks are legal and dont do much to there tough species of bass and catfish. here in alberta we got less stronger species like trout, and using a spoon with a barb will rip its moouth apart after a few catches.
i agree with barbless because you can remove the hook easyer, better for the fishes survival ect.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
in the usa the fishing with barbs hooks are legal and dont do much to there tough species of bass and catfish. here in alberta we got less stronger species like trout, and using a spoon with a barb will rip its moouth apart after a few catches.
i agree with barbless because you can remove the hook easyer, better for the fishes survival ect.
No evidence to support that!

"here in alberta we got less stronger species like trout, and using a spoon with a barb will rip its moouth apart after a few catches."

Sorry kid, gotta call bull on that one.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 PM

I think going barbless is better for the fish and its the law but since they sell barbed hooks on the store. Would it be asking too much to at least put a sign saying: "dont forget to remove barbs out of the hooks"?

Man, I assume every thing I buy from a store is legal without needing to do any modification to the item.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Everyone should know how to pinch down the barbs properly.

Once pinched, shove through thumb (or ear lob) and remove. If it hurts more coming out than going in, re-pinch and retest
Old 05-07-2011, 02:24 PM

my friend got a ticket on the nsr the other day and fishing rod and reel takin away for having barb hooks in open tackel box but fishing with pinched barbs, he had to beg to keep his tackel box, serious cash grab by the f$w dont worry when i become a f&w officer things are gonna change.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
my friend got a ticket on the nsr the other day and fishing rod and reel takin away for having barb hooks in open tackel box but fishing with pinched barbs, he had to beg to keep his tackel box, serious cash grab by the f$w dont worry when i become a f&w officer things are gonna change.
fight that ticket for sure. I have heard of F&W officers doing this, but not exprienced it myself. Pure garbage IMO. There is no law stating hooks in your tackle box need to be barbless, just the ones on your line.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

I'm all for barbless, been using them for quite some time on different species and i haven't noticed any difference in catching. The difference that i like is when i'm removing hooks(much easier and faster with barbless) from fish and myself.

For those who think barbless is a waste of time and doesn't hurt fish any more than a barbed hook...well i say hook yourself with each type of hook, but do it so the barb penetrates through skin...try to remove them and then tell me how each extraction felt

BTW It was a choice for me, way before the law kicked in.

If i can pull out a pike with a tiny barbless fly hook(only been flyfishing for 2 years) i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem with a plug that's loaded to the tits(which i also use, but two trebles at most are good enough for most of my fish).

If I was to eat/keep every fish i catch, then this "barbless law" wouldn't make any sense, since i tend to release most of my catches or they are under limit then it makes perfect sense to put less harm on those we return(since we will be back to catch em when they're "big enough")
Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I'm all for barbless, been using them for quite some time on different species and i haven't noticed any difference in catching. The difference that i like is when i'm removing hooks(much easier and faster with barbless) from fish and myself.

For those who think barbless is a waste of time and doesn't hurt fish any more than a barbed hook...well i say hook yourself with each type of hook, but do it so the barb penetrates through skin...try to remove them and then tell me how each extraction felt

BTW It was a choice for me, way before the law kicked in.

If i can pull out a pike with a tiny barbless fly hook(only been flyfishing for 2 years) i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem with a plug that's loaded to the tits(which i also use, but two trebles at most are good enough for most of my fish).

If I was to eat/keep every fish i catch, then this "barbless law" wouldn't make any sense, since i tend to release most of my catches or they are under limit then it makes perfect sense to put less harm on those we return(since we will be back to catch em when they're "big enough")
I've been practicing catch and release for close to 45 years and have had few if any die because of a hooks barb! If a person wants to go easier on the fish, go baitless.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 PM

does a barbed hook directly result in fish moratlity....i dont know
But im quite sure its speeds the release of a hooked fish
Heres a simple experiment for everyone to try. Go to your tackle box and get two number 4 trebles...1 fully barbed and the other de-barbed. Drive both hooks into your body, you pick the spot i dont think it matters as long as both hooks are in the same area.
Get a friend to try remove the hooks for you...You squirm and flop like a fish
Now time how long each takes to remove the hook
Old 05-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

When I first came here from Ont and found out it was barbless I thought you guys were nuts we never fished barbless. You want me to fish for bass barbless forget it then I found out no BASS man what else can happen. But I went fishing and I found out I don't lose any more fish now then I did before....Ok so I'm not the greatest fisherman.But what I did find out releasing a fish especially one with teeth was a whole lot easier on me and the fish. And Chubb I'm not going to let you talk me in to sticking hooks in my flesh .....again....
Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
does a barbed hook directly result in fish moratlity....i dont know
But im quite sure its speeds the release of a hooked fish
Heres a simple experiment for everyone to try. Go to your tackle box and get two number 4 trebles...1 fully barbed and the other de-barbed. Drive both hooks into your body, you pick the spot i dont think it matters as long as both hooks are in the same area.
Get a friend to try remove the hooks for you...You squirm and flop like a fish
Now time how long each takes to remove the hook
little secret he's not sharing that may be of some help. before attempting to pull out the barbed treble, you're better off bringing that hook right through your skin and cutting off the barb or entire hook. then reverse direction and pull it back out the way it went it. performed this operation on myself at least once, one buddy who fainted in the boat and my old hound Bud. the dog took it the best by far, although it still took three of us to hold him down. a bird dog by the river, geese constantly landing, and a buddys open tackle box full of 10" plugs. disaster waiting to happen.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 AM

I figure that if I can run my finger over it without it "snagging" then it wont get caught in a fish.

Wasnt there an article in AO (B&W) if i remember correctly about one F&W using a silk thread to test barbs?

Give away all the old issues so I cannot check.