Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 10:24 PM

Exclamation Online romance scam ...

Just a heads up to all the local romeos looking for love From in the internet

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...appinstalled=0
Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 PM

Dare any man in a relationship to click that link... right now...
Old 01-21-2019, 06:02 AM

wow, it's really hard to feel sorry for people like this, one would think that they would catch on real quick, guess not

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:36 AM

Default match.com

I have a buddy that stuck his pic and profile into one of those dating scams.After posting he had a "hoty Victorian secret model babe" sending pics and confessing her love for him!,after 3 weeks of flirtatious conversations she replied she needed $1650 to fly from Moscow to Alberta to be with the man of her dreams...my buddy is cheap as he woulda lossed his shirt if he followed through..he is devastated as he thought he had found true love!...I did a check on facebook messenger and there are 20 other hotties using the same name...go figure!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1 View Post
I have a buddy that stuck his pic and profile into one of those dating scams.After posting he had a "hoty Victorian secret model babe" sending pics and confessing her love for him!,after 3 weeks of flirtatious conversations she replied she needed $1650 to fly from Moscow to Alberta to be with the man of her dreams...my buddy is cheap as he woulda lossed his shirt if he followed through..he is devastated as he thought he had found true love!...I did a check on facebook messenger and there are 20 other hotties using the same name...go figure!
People are just sooooo wrapped up In thier devices that they actually think these things are the end all to all be all to all and all and all......click and fix, click and find luv, click and yup.....where did my money go

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2019, 06:51 AM

Hell, probably cost me less than my wife spends
Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 AM

We get them every so often at our front counter at the airport "demanding" we release the love of their life.
They get lured in with internet chatting, then exchange of photos, then wanting to see them, but need money for a visa (asking for $500, a visa cost $75), then airfare, then getting stuck at the departure airport for a departure fee ($200), then getting stuck at "Customs" unless a $1500 fee is paid.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM

People keep telling me I need a girl friend. My reply is, All the women I know are Crazy.

Grizz
Old 01-21-2019, 08:59 AM

"A fool and his money are soon parted", and then the chap who neglected his father would be the first to stand there and say, the banks have to much say. Lets move on. The very fact that the online scamers are making money, is enough prove.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
People keep telling me I need a girl friend. My reply is, All the women I know are Crazy.

Grizz
Well, they aren't lying.......
Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 AM

I have found with seniors they are good at faking it that they are o.k. Lots of times they are confused as to what is going on. With a relative they had a five hundred gold coin in a safety deposit box. She went and got it out and that is the last we saw of it. She could have lost it or gave it away she does not remember.
I think family members should start checking seniors accounts and affairs sooner than later. The senior may not like it but they also are not gong to like it when you have to put them in long term care.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM

I know a fellow who has been in “love” with some woman from states that he met online...he has never met her and is regularly broke from sending her money...some people just never learn.. a senior with health problems is a different story..they are easily confused and duped. My grandparents who live slightly above the poverty line sold their mobile to buy a holiday trailer to live in. The trailer was an absolute dump...full of rot and nothing worked. They paid 11k for it. Anyone who rips off seniors should get a bullet in the head.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM

I don't feel sorry for the dead dad or his now "broke" son that is probably just choked he doesn't get the cash. If you wire $7.00 let alone $700,000 to a women you don't know, you deserve to loose it all.

Now trying to lay blame at the feet of the bank is weak and entitled, take responsibility for your Dad's stupid brain.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Between the outright scams and the women marrying Canadian guys so they can get to Canada, the number of people that get sucked in by this stuff is truly amazing. To send any money, let alone hundreds of thousands, to someone you have never met, and think you can fall in love over email is truly stupid. I don't have a lot of sympathy for these idiots.

If there are elderly people in your family you definitely need to be looking after them because it is really hard to tell when they have lost their full faculties. Those that are really lonely or depressed are even more vulnerable and in need of companionship and help. Those folks I have a lot of compassion for.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Scamming older lonely men/woman has happened for eons...if it's to good to be true....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:40 AM

It can happen to the young guys too, I worked with a guy that fell in love on a Cuba vacation met her family, romantic encounters on the beach etc, After he returned home he sent her money several times to come to Canada then he bought a $5k ring flew to Cuba for surprise proposal.
Long story short her husband beat him senseless stole everything he had including the ring, his family flew to Cuba to get him back home.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 PM

add another lottery scam
https://edmontonsun.com/news/crime/l...b-0815b497e521
Old 01-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Ok

I’m looking at the woman’s picture.............

She would hafta wire ME money

More than $700k too

Seriously, why are men so stupid????
Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Between the outright scams and the women marrying Canadian guys so they can get to Canada, the number of people that get sucked in by this stuff is truly amazing. To send any money, let alone hundreds of thousands, to someone you have never met, and think you can fall in love over email is truly stupid. I don't have a lot of sympathy for these idiots.

If there are elderly people in your family you definitely need to be looking after them because it is really hard to tell when they have lost their full faculties. Those that are really lonely or depressed are even more vulnerable and in need of companionship and help. Those folks I have a lot of compassion for.
My Dad got scammed, about 10 grand, he would never tell me where it went, but I kept a close eye on his finances after that. He was diagnosed with dementia shortly after. I believe it was a family member but have no proof as it was cash out. Sad that people would take advantage of those that need our protection.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-21-2019, 06:49 PM

It ain't easy being easy.....

Old 01-22-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
She would hafta wire ME money

More than $700k too
X2.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-22-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Scamming older lonely men/woman has happened for eons...if it's to good to be true....
Funny though these people were the same ones who more than likely made bad decisions all thier lives.....trend setting.....

Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My Dad got scammed, about 10 grand, he would never tell me where it went, but I kept a close eye on his finances after that. He was diagnosed with dementia shortly after. I believe it was a family member but have no proof as it was cash out. Sad that people would take advantage of those that need our protection.
My uncle did that to my grandparents except he talked them into selling their house and pretty much everything they had and moving across the country to live in the other half of the duplex he owned to be near family and grandchildren. They simply signed every paper he wanted them to without question. By the time they got to BC uncle had started building a huge house on the waterfront, we all wondered how he could afford it, uncles duplex had been sold, the grandparents had been put in the cheapest apartment to be found. Uncle had cleaned them out financially and basically left them homeless in an unfamiliar strange city. Big blow up in the family, according to the courts everything he did was legal and nothing could be done. When confronted he told us all to FO. The rest of the family looked after my grandparents the best they could. Nobody spoke to the uncle for decades. Now my uncle (much younger than my mother) who frittered it all away and is broke suddenly out of the blue we find out he has started contacting my elderly mother after 25 years of no contact. My mother does not remember anymore what he did in the past. We are protecting what few assets and accounts she has the best we can and arranging power of attorney in my and my brothers control to protect her from him. He won't get to do this again.

Anyway those who are saying people who get taken advantage of in similar circumstances or on mail order brides, dating sites, etc deserve what they get should look down the road as you have no idea how lucid your mind is going to be when you get elderly. Family and friends you trust at their word can be your worst enemy. Believe me your mind can change over time, you can do strange things totally out of character, you don't have a clue and you can become easy pickings for unscrupulous characters, especially in these days of internet. You only have to press the wrong button or sign the wrong thing and end up destitute.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I don't feel sorry for the dead dad or his now "broke" son that is probably just choked he doesn't get the cash. If you wire $7.00 let alone $700,000 to a women you don't know, you deserve to loose it all.

Now trying to lay blame at the feet of the bank is weak and entitled, take responsibility for your Dad's stupid brain.

Blame the victim?

Blaming the bank is wrong, they did their due diligence, but it's easy to armchair and say it would never happen to you. You have no idea what sort of memory or mental health problems you may have at that age. Clearly the man was not an idiot, he saved up a nice nest egg, that takes hard work and rational decisions. Age does a number on you mind (well for some), he is a victim, probably with a memory or mental health issue.

Scammers and thieves are the scum of the earth.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Banned

Isn't romance itself a scam?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM

Hey, if a sharp operator and savvy politician like Tony Clement can be conned into sending wiener pics to a couple of guys in Nigeria posing as a woman...well, I have to have a bit of sympathy for the elderly and lonely getting scammed.

But not for Tony. That was just f**cking stupid. What an idiot.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-22-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Hey, if a sharp operator and savvy politician like Tony Clement can be conned into sending wiener pics to a couple of guys in Nigeria posing as a woman...well, I have to have a bit of sympathy for the elderly and lonely getting scammed.

But not for Tony. That was just f**cking stupid. What an idiot.
😂😂. Omg!!😂

Imagine the thoughts he had prior to taking that picture???

Hows the lighting? Is that its best side? MAybe if I hold it out further it will look bigger like those deer hunters do.... why wont it grow. Is it scared of cameras? I wish this camera had a zoom....maybe i should tie a bow around it?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM

Bwahahaha....'make it look bigger like deer hunters, pose wayyyy behind it'....hahaha. Tony, what a complete idiot. Who does that?? Jesus, even SIRI knows when you're doing wiener pics...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Jesus, even SIRI knows when you're doing wiener pics...

Is this true??? Asking for a friend......
Old 01-22-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Is this true??? Asking for a friend......
Of course it's true. SIRI knows when you are sleeping, she knows when you're awake, she knows when you've been bad or good so be good for matrimonial assets and visitation rights with your kids sake...