Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Default Barrett Jackson – Scottsdale 2019

My first time to this auction, spent the day walking & admiring looking for some 1970 Z28’s, wasn’t disappointed. They had everything from cars, trucks, buses, to boats/yachats & even a helicopter. The internet said in 2017, at WestWorld of Scottsdale over 1,800 pieces of automobilia sold for more than $2.5 million & approx. 320,000 people attended. This year I believe it had to be more people and more vehicles, even the Mrs. said it was unbelievable.

We parked in a desert field for free, they had shuttle buses take you to the Westworld complex, we paid the Greyhair $20.00 fee and went through the numerous displays and found the auction pravilion. We seen a bunch of empty seat only 3 rows from the front in the VIP area and moved in like we owned them, watched the action for about hour, every vehicle has 1 minute on the block then it’s moved off even if the bidding continued, there was no reserves while we were in attendance, everyone sold. Those auctioneers sure can yak fast & the handlers really work the buyers, to get the bids up. We wandered through the 10 tents of vehicles that were either getting prepped to hit the auction block or sold, no vehicles had left the complex over the past week so we got to see them all and they had the sold price noted on the window stickers. There was numerous food and beverages business, we enjoyed having lunch next to the outside staging area watching the various vehicles coming in/out of the main building.

I’ve watched it in the past on TV, however, it’s nothing like being there in person, really enjoyed the experience and would recommend if you have the opportunity take advantage of it, you won’t be disappointed.

A few pics …. enjoy.

David

The Main Auction Pavilion is in Bld #1

Found a couple of 70 Camaro’s ….

Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Default A few more pic's

My Favourite for only for $77K USD … just like my Z-z!

Took a bunch more pic’s but it’s limitless to the customs you may see like a 6.6 Lt. Duramax Diesel in a 1970 Chevelle SS or a Ford VelociRaptor “6x6” !

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-20-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:44 PM

Very nice. I took my son to the Barrett Jackson in Palm Beach last April for his birthday. As you say, it's an event every car lover should try and take in at least once.

I really enjoyed it, but three days is sensory overload, just too many beautiful cars and trucks to appreciate after a while. It was good to do a day of fishing as well.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Very nice. I took my son to the Barrett Jackson in Palm Beach last April for his birthday. As you say, it's an event every car lover should try and take in at least once.

I really enjoyed it, but three days is sensory overload, just too many beautiful cars and trucks to appreciate after a while. It was good to do a day of fishing as well.

Would agree, I would definitely do this again, well worth it.

D.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 PM

A few of the weeks notables, some people have money & will make money!

D.

#3010 - 2020 TOYOTA SUPRA - FIRST PRODUCTION VIN 20201 - $2,100,000.00

#1405 – 2019 McLaren Senna $1,457,500.00

#3008 - 2020 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 VIN 001 - $1,100,000.00

#3007 - 2016 Corvette C7.R - $600,000.00

#3006 - 2015 FORD SHELBY MUSTANG GT350R - $500,000.00

#1371 – 1955 Bel Air Convertible - $363,000.00

#1078 – 1967 Corvette Convertible - $330,000.00

#1098 - 1969 Camaro RS/SS CUSTOM COUPE - $242,000.00

Old 01-20-2019, 11:24 PM

That's alot for a Supra of which I'm sure will not meet expectations and will be lost in the history books as a middling sports car.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
That's alot for a Supra of which I'm sure will not meet expectations and will be lost in the history books as a middling sports car.
I believe it was a charity car and values for those type of cars at Barrett reflect very little on perceived value of the car being auctioned.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 AM

Default Barrett-Jackson

Anyone that appreciates cars should make an effort to attend the auction in Phoenix as it is "The Biggest Car Collectors Auction". Barrett-Jackson has been doing this long enough to know how to put on a great show.

My brother & I attended the auction in Jan/2013 & watched a lot of high value vehicles roll on & of the stage including the original Batmobile that sold for $4.6 million, (fees in). We got to BS with George Barris for about 30 minutes as well as numerous other builders.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:07 AM

Was this the one where a Grabber blue 74 Pinto went for 16,500.00 ?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:23 AM

IDK..
I don't get alot of the values for the new stuff.. They must be charity vehicles or something.
But $1.1 for a mustang, (yeah ok it's a gt500, but meh), it's not like it is (or will be) rare. They come out with new ones every year. I'm finding they're trying to create collectibles (especially with new cars). That's not how it works, or at the very least you have to limit production, or hide some rare options.

OTOH.. I'd take that mclaren senna, wow. Such an amazing piece of equipment. And you don't have to worry about every kid with money buying one.

FTR. the values of the old cars makes sense (for the most part). Typically it's an actual "rare" car or it's someone who has money and wants their childhood car.

I definitely need to get down there one year though.

Zip.. Which one did you buy?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:40 AM

I was watching on TV when they were featuring the Maclaren Senna, before it went on the block...and all I could think was that the paint was mind blowing. It looked black, until the camera came around and suddenly this crazy dark purple or burgandy was there...loved it. Amazing car.

The auction in Scottsdale is the big one to go to...except you can't fish for sailfish in AZ.....just sayin. Palm Beach was pretty good, and I'd go again.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 AM

We always watch it when it on tv. I really get into them for some reason.
I saw the one rich guy (Ron somebody or other) buy one charity car for like $400,000 then flip right back and sold it again for the charity for an additional $200,000. That's awesome to see!

The guys face when he got the Supra was priceless! Must have been his banker on the phone right after when said "I got it!"
I've seen him at them before, and he didn't seem to be buying much, saving for the big one I guess.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Was this the one where a Grabber blue 74 Pinto went for 16,500.00 ?
Mr. Reeves …. Was lookin for a few didn’t see any, did a search on their website & found one, must of missed it, here you go.

Lot #5 1974 FORD PINTO HATCHBACK - $18,150.00

This Pinto 3-door Hatchback Runabout is a well-maintained time capsule with 24,397 original miles (title reads mileage exempt), and has been one-family-owned for the last 42 years. The Grabber Blue paint is complemented by the white vinyl roof with luggage rack and skid moldings. It is powered by a 90hp 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine backed by a Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission. The interior has Medium Blue houndstooth cloth inserts in Corinthian vinyl bucket seats, deluxe door trim panels, wood-tone accents, front seat lighter and rear seat ashtray. It’s also optioned with an AM radio, Luxury Décor Group and full wheel covers. The dash pad still has the factory-original safety precaution sticker. Included with this Pinto is the original owner's manual, starting instructions and warranty identification card.

From the website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
IDK..

Zip.. Which one did you buy?

None ... over my budget, however, while sittin in the VIP section, I was talking to the Mrs and pointed at a 2016 Mercedes Convertible that wasn't getting many bids and the handler thought I was increasing the bid/price, had to wave him off, my US M/C would of been declined.

D.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr. Reeves …. Was lookin for a few didn’t see any, did a search on their website & found one, must of missed it, here you go.

Lot #5 1974 FORD PINTO HATCHBACK - $18,150.00

This Pinto 3-door Hatchback Runabout is a well-maintained time capsule with 24,397 original miles (title reads mileage exempt), and has been one-family-owned for the last 42 years. The Grabber Blue paint is complemented by the white vinyl roof with luggage rack and skid moldings. It is powered by a 90hp 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine backed by a Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission. The interior has Medium Blue houndstooth cloth inserts in Corinthian vinyl bucket seats, deluxe door trim panels, wood-tone accents, front seat lighter and rear seat ashtray. It’s also optioned with an AM radio, Luxury Décor Group and full wheel covers. The dash pad still has the factory-original safety precaution sticker. Included with this Pinto is the original owner's manual, starting instructions and warranty identification card.

From the website:

None ... over my budget, however, while sittin in the VIP section, I was talking to the Mrs and pointed at a 2016 Mercedes Convertible that wasn't getting many bids and the handler thought I was increasing the bid/price, had to wave him off, my US M/C would of been declined.

D.
Great thread and nice rides too. Weren't those Pinto's like 2,000.00 when bought new?

BW
Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Great thread and nice rides too. Weren't those Pinto's like 2,000.00 when bought new?

BW

I think they paid you to drive them..
Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 PM

A few more .... the feature Car on the Map & Event Schedule:

Lot #1300.1 1962 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE - Sold for $81,000.00

One of the most iconic American cars, the Corvette has proved to be one of the most popular platforms for a Resto-Mod. The styling of the first-generation Corvette has always been loved by many, but for those who want great driving performance by today’s standards, they leave something to be desired. The custom world has stepped in to address that and bring them into modern day, which this 1962 Corvette showcases. On the outside, the body has been modified for a more aggressive performance look, starting with a custom grille fabricated from 1957 and 1958 Corvettes. The headlights have been frenched in and a custom ZR1-style hood, complete with transparent hood insert, has been added. The interior features Flame Red leather to match the Salsa Red exterior. The car has also been upgraded with AutoMeter gauges, a custom sound system, tilt steering wheel and Shiftworks shifter. The chassis has been replaced with one from Art Morrison. It’s powered by an LS3 V8 engine mated to a 4L65E 4-speed automatic transmission, and utilizes C6 suspension components, Detroit Speed steering rack, adjustable coilovers and a rear triangulated 4-link suspension. It’s equipped with disc brakes on all four corners and utilizes stainless-steel hardware for stopping power.

Lot #1001.1 1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE SS CUSTOM COUPE – Sold $51,000.00

Professionally restored 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS is powered by a brand-new 6.6-liter Duramax diesel engine backed by a G-Force 5R 5-speed manual transmission. It also sports a custom twin-turbo setup with two Garrett T-38R turbos pushing 30 pounds of boost. Helping control the diesel engine's torque is a dual-disc clutch. The rear end was replaced with a custom-fabricated 9” based on a Ford design. This Chevelle features upgraded front suspension with tubular control arms and heavy-duty springs, and rear suspension with traction bars and heavy-duty springs for added stability. The headers, custom-fabricated out of 304 stainless steel, mount twin GTX2860 turbochargers. All of the accessories were moved down and out of the way so the turbo piping could be in full view. From the upgraded Wilwood disc brakes on all four corners to the custom 18-gallon fuel tank, many one-off pieces grace this Chevelle. The interior was fully restored to SS specifications.

Something different … Ford VelociRaptor 6x6

The Hennessey VelociRaptor 6X6 concept starts at $349,000 and includes the base 2017 – 2018 Ford Raptor 4-door truck, 6X6 locking rear axles, upgraded Fox suspension, upgraded 20-inch wheels and off-road tires, special front and rear bumpers, rollbar and LED lights.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:13 PM
Banned

Outstanding pics Sir
Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default for Reeves

reeves pinto.jpg
Old 01-22-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post

Pinto guys do have a sense of humor.....however, the most famous of them all & 4 time record holder for Pro Stock...and last time I saw it up for sale it was over 125k

Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

God when I walk amongst so many beauties I miss too much....prefere one just pops out randomly amongst the regulars but it might just be a holy crap moment seeing what they are beside.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 AM

love watching how all these guys can afford to pay such high amounts for cars, I've got on a pvr somewhere where my old boss was at this auction about 10- 12 years ago...and bought himself 3 cars for over a total value of $660,000.00...2 superbirds the ones with the big wing out back plus a Shelby to go with them...huge amount of money for a small time northern Alberta boy, but he could afford the game he played....should have paid me more, then I could sell off my 2003 Yukon and upgrade a couple years..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-02-2019, 01:55 PM

lucky guy