Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Default Ghost lake reservoir missing fish.....

Hey everyone, where are all the fish on Ghost lake reservoir. I have been fishing on Ghost for at least 3 years and all I have ever caught has been two small ling. Am I just insane?

Reading through the posts on Ghost people are catching fish. Could someone please dumb it down a bit for me? I have no issues on any other bodies of water, just Ghost.

One other question, do the fish stop biting at a certain time?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”
-Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Rumour has it that Ghost is one of the hardest lakes to fish. I personally wouldn't bother. Apparently it's not one of those lakes that you might get skunked a few times then get a real Monster. You might get skunked a lot of times then if you're lucky, you just get something.

I think there are much better lakes to fish for quality and quantity.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM

there are fish in ghost. ive had some slow days, and some decent days this year. Find the deepest water you can, and simply jig the smallest white tube jig you can buy with a small, thin peice of bait so it flops nicely when jigged. (lure no more than 2 inches long) Try to get some berkley atomic tubes. google them, you can get em online. They are killer for smaller lakers. just work the middle of the lake all day with tiny white jigs tipped with bait, and you should pick up some lakers.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 PM

iv caught alot of 3-4 inch cutts at the docks in summer off size 24:black nymphs the only thing thed bite lol i thought they were perch nope just small cuts
Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 PM

i love ghost....it gives me a fix after the walleye lakes are closed.
like walleye fishing i only fish high percentage structure and hard bottoms.
a flasher is critical as the big lakers can be any where in the water column.
i now never pack bait bait to Ghost.......either white or clear salt and pepper tube jigs/5 in.minumum. i donot push the jighead all the way up inside the tube, i leave about 1/2 inch of the tube hollow....this makes the tube glide and swim slower.

i use a full length rod so i can work a full 4-5 foot glide and jig technique.

we have very good consistant results with lakers in the 10-14lb range with the odd 20 every winter.

you know the song 'get to the church on time' ?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 PM

havent ehrd it
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM

what is the time that the bite is on?? I know the bite dies on spray at about noon.

The main reason that I goto Ghost is because it is about 25min drive from my place.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM

"we have very good consistant results with lakers in the 10-14lb range with the odd 20 every winter."

Thats a bold statement for Ghost. Your saying that you consistently fool/catch lakers in the 10-14 lb range with no bait on a regular basis, and a 20 lber every winter.. Rock some pictures and show us because thats extreme/possibly very misleading to the guy who posted this thread. lets see the pics from the last few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
"we have very good consistant results with lakers in the 10-14lb range with the odd 20 every winter."

Thats a bold statement for Ghost. Your saying that you consistently fool/catch lakers in the 10-14 lb range with no bait on a regular basis, and a 20 lber every winter.. Rock some pictures and show us because thats extreme/possibly very misleading to the guy who posted this thread. lets see the pics from the last few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
okay i lied
good luck fishing
Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM

lol i think thats F******* halrouis that u lied lol highlite of the day
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
lol i think thats F******* halrouis that u lied lol highlite of the day

hahhhahahahhhaahahh....and i dont know how to post pictures anyway
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
hahhhahahahhhaahahh....and i dont know how to post pictures anyway
Can you email them
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
okay i lied
good luck fishing
CB you're gonna get another name calling.......careful you'll be in double digits soon.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
CB you're gonna get another name calling.......careful you'll be in double digits soon.
if i wasnt a liar and was honest....the truth is im at 12 not 7
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM

please don't hijack my thread. no pics are needed just some tips.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
if i wasnt a liar and was honest....the truth is im at 12 not 7
I think a lot of those "idiot"comments would be taken back after the knowledge you were kind enough to share about fishing Travers.

BTW The best I seen on another forum was one member call another an idiyot!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Sorry to the OP for the Hijack.

I think that there may be a few good tips here about picking up some lakers by those who have fished it. I was going by what I was told and have not fished it. Perhaps I will pick up a few tips and try it as well.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
please don't hijack my thread. no pics are needed just some tips.
i'd listen to what CB has to say. i'm sorry if i upset you. happy fishing. tube jig.

Dace.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 PM

I've fished that lake for years except for the last 2, the problem is everyone was keeping every little fish they caught, I won't fish there anymore because it has turned into a catch a keep lake. The government is not interested in having a stocking program even with all the anglers. The only thing that will bring this lake back to what it use to be is 100% catch and release for the next 10 years. 25 years ago I use to catch some beautiful lakes and burbot. Unless something is done don't waste your time.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 PM

haha this thread is fine, not hijacked, but if it was by anyone, chubbdart would be the one its not helping the thread makers intentions by providing false information about local fishing areas for no reason. not a big deal, just not cool haha. ghost is alright. like i said, jig deep in the middle of the lake near the west end, or even further into the river with tiny white tube jigs and cut bait
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
haha this thread is fine, not hijacked, but if it was by anyone, chubbdart would be the one its not helping the thread makers intentions by providing false information about local fishing areas for no reason. not a big deal, just not cool haha. ghost is alright. like i said, jig deep in the middle of the lake near the west end, or even further into the river with tiny white tube jigs and cut bait

ive exchanged pm's with the original thread starter and apologized.....my apologises to you and everyone else to.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i'd listen to what CB has to say. i'm sorry if i upset you. happy fishing. tube jig.

Dace.
Not upset, just trying to keep the thread on the subject.

has anyone ever noticed a time that the bite is on?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Yeah hands down Ghost is fish-less. Pretty much everyone who fished there never even got a bite...let alone catching something.

Although Randy (from WSS) mentioned there are Burbs in there. Time to catch them just like any other place are during sunset +/- an hour or so.

Good luck! If you catch something, make sure you spread the joy on the forums

Sushi.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM

Mayuan: I have spent hundreds of hours on ghost as i once lived in NW calgary. You can expect to spend 10 to 15hrs per fish. Dont get me wrong there are fish but if you were to average skunk trips vs fish I am pretty sure this is not far off my average, most days it is one maybe two fish for two people.

Having said the above I have pictures (hard copy only) of a 25lb laker from early spring and a 15 plus thru the ice. ( will try to take pics of them and post) You can have 5/6 fish days but i have only done it 3 or 4 times in 12 years. Lures: Hard water,Flyer Jig head with full dew worm (let him eat it as you will get only one chance) and as mentioned above white or pink tubes Soft water: Bleeding Olive Rapalla orriginal floater with down rigger, or at least 10 feet line behind an ounce or more of lead.

IMO Rainbows and Browns are a more atainable goal. Focus on the north arm and regular structure(log piles, or where water flows in ,some on the southside of the main lake, and the obvious river entrance.The north arm comes with two problems,Water skiers in the summer and Ice bikes in the winter. Small spinners ie; Mepps Extra Deep brown trout pattern with half a worm for casting /trolling or Panther Martin In black or the gun metal blue

There is a magic week maybe a couple days more in the fall when the Rocky Mountain Whites school in the north arm before they head up the ghost river to spawn. This must be timed to perfection as it is a pretty short bite. Note the regs as to the rules about the entrance of the ghost river. Focus on where current is deflecting off the banks in the lake portion. Slipbobbers , egg hook and magots or classic nymph patters on the fly rod. Decent episode from the TV show Fishing Alberta Maybe if Alex K reads this he could help U out.

I have never seen a burb but also heard of them being caught.

I am sure this is going to be contavercial.... but there are also monster Lake Whites in there as well. Only done it twice but super late soft water(closer to slush) Trying to catch the laker spawn .

I would not fish with a leader, from shore and with out electronics. You will need every advantage possible. I would get the hydrographic chart made for the sailing club and fish only the very best structre and in a very mobile fashion

http://www.maptown.com/cgi-bin/mt/st...store_id=21241

Pm me if you want to go some time..............No promises........Just Sayin!!!

B.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Picks from above post. Sorry for quality, they were from a waterproof disposable.

B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 139.JPG (178.0 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg 147.JPG (193.2 KB, 349 views)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
Picks from above post. Sorry for quality, they were from a waterproof disposable.

B.
Pics look pretty good to me! What did the laker weigh in that 1st pic? Is that the 25 from the previous post?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Wow, nice job Commander!

I expect that Ghost lake will be packed next weekend
Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 PM

nicelakers
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

No hijack from this fisherman - just the straight goods.....

I have spent lots of time there (not the last few years though).

A few observations:

1. You had better be fishing half an hour before sunrise. If you sleep in don't bother going.
2. Bite slows remarkably after abvout 9:30 or 10 A.M. and no bite during the day. Some bite just before dark but not as good as morning.
3. Fished in 40-50 ft with a small jig tipped with a minnow, kept it 2-3 ft off bottom and then used a small bobber in the hole. Move it then let it sit. Bite is usually soft.
4. Be prepared for the stinking wind when the sun comes up - we used to drive the truck on the backside of the tent.
5. Have caught 3-4 lakers in a day up to 20 inches, most are slinky but very tasty.
6. Have caught one brown, a mountain whitefish, some burbs and one pike also.
7. Driving up the lake can be very scary especially when there is floodwater or the ice is very clear - a quad is a btter idea.
8. Watch the boat ramp if there is a lot of wind - it can drift in very badly during the day and can be really hard to get back out when you are done fishing.

Have fun.

C