Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
I hear all this talk about if and when Sekera comes back he will make a difference! I honestly don’t think he will ever be the guy that will make a difference on this team. He is done!
Oh geez, Sekera is a porcelain doll..dump his ***** ASAP
Old 01-21-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
I hear all this talk about if and when Sekera comes back he will make a difference! I honestly don’t think he will ever be the guy that will make a difference on this team. He is done!

The last blue liner to make a difference on this team was Chris Pronger, period.

I found the following statement from 2014 by a poster on a hockey forum regarding the signing of Pronger and Peca. Unfortunately the same curse is still being propagated in Edmonton, only this time with Chiarelli as GM and Lowe still allowed to pull at the strings.

"When Kevin Lowe signed those two guys it was not a stroke of genius, any casual fan of the game would have done the same thing given the opportunity. Outside of those two moves he is basically a complete failure.

Sure Craig McTavish coached those guys to game seven of the Stanley Cup final, but the fact that he had such a good team and couldn't get any more out of them than an eighth place finish in the Western Conference is proof positive of how useless he actually was as a coach. His current record as a general manager speaks for itself. He took a team that almost qualified for the playoffs and was improving, and turned that curve right upside down.

I think that if the Oilers had never signed Chris Pronger and Mike Peca this organization would have been free from Kevin Lowe and Craig McTavish seven years ago.

I loved that playoff run but damn are we ever paying for it."
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Banned

The problem with this organization is every fan is a better GM, coach, center, defencemen and tendy.

Hell I was at the god damn game and some stupid lady was yelling shoot when oilers had the puck in a neutral zone regroup. Very few players want to play in a market such as Edmonton as the fans, media and climate are the worst of the worst. I can think of 29 other cities I’d rather play in and I’m a oilers fan from Edmonton.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
The problem with this organization is every fan is a better GM, coach, center, defencemen and tendy.

Hell I was at the god damn game and some stupid lady was yelling shoot when oilers had the puck in a neutral zone regroup. Very few players want to play in a market such as Edmonton as the fans, media and climate are the worst of the worst. I can think of 29 other cities I’d rather play in and I’m a oilers fan from Edmonton.
Also you can’t get away from it. You can take your wife out to dinner or take the kids on an outing in the bigger markets without being hounded.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DFa-e_Kcg
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Also you can’t get away from it. You can take your wife out to dinner or take the kids on an outing in the bigger markets without being hounded.
Hence why the vast majority of the players don’t actually live here, most rent during the season.

It’s not the 80’s or 90’s anymore it’s a different generation and mentality around the league. These guys want to be able to live like millionaires, enjoy there big money in a place that allows them too.

I’ve said it on here before after reading and listening to several interviews of former oilers and NHL players you’d be lucky to find 1 in 10 that would play in this market up in Edmonton.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:50 PM

"Also told Oilers recently offered up Cam Talbot to a non-playoff team in the East, a club they’ve spoken to before about him, as part of larger deal, but seems as though they remain a team he won’t accept move to (he has 10-team no-trade list, willing to lessen it)."

Link
Old 01-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Banned

can’t figure this out maybe someone can explain. What is he reasoning for waiving a player then putting him in the lineup once he clears? Is it hoping someone picks him up?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
can’t figure this out maybe someone can explain. What is he reasoning for waiving a player then putting him in the lineup once he clears? Is it hoping someone picks him up?
The article I just read thought it was a Salary dump thing. They need the space for the $$$.

What happened to the other guy? Why wasn't he picked up? Is he playing tonight?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The article I just read thought it was a Salary dump thing. They need the space for the $$$.

What happened to the other guy? Why wasn't he picked up? Is he playing tonight?
But if they both remain on the active roster their cap hit remains the same which is the case.
Spooners playing tonight and rattie is a healthy scratch.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:44 PM

Under the 2005 CBA, if an NHL player is being sent to an NHL affiliate team in the AHL and is put through waivers and clears successfully, then his salary will not count against the respective NHL team's salary cap. ... If a player is claimed on waivers, then the claiming team is responsible for the rest of their contract.

I Think that clearing waiver serves 2 purposes with Rattie and Spooner

1. If the Oilers send either to Bakersfield then their respective salaries come off the cap.

2. If they are traded then their new team can send them directly to their AHL affiliate and it does not effect the new team's cap.

Trying to have them clear waivers now, as opposed to at the trade deadline was probably a good move and frees up some cap space for a trade. I am thinking there is a major trade in the works as we speak, which with the current track record, makes me really nervous.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Don't worry BD, Chia's got this all figured out. Drai for a 3rd round and some water bottles.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Don't worry BD, Chia's got this all figured out. Drai for a 3rd round and some water bottles.
Good Gatoraid bottles or those cheap ones from Canadian tire?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Good Gatoraid bottles or those cheap ones from Canadian tire?
We want the ones those flames squirt into each others mouths.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Wings up 2-0, and not a peep from anyone?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 PM

They got dis!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
wings up 2-0, and not a peep from anyone?
shaddduupp!!!

Saving it for the third!!

Mcjesus gonna put in two early!!

No sweat!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Lucic is so bad at hockey.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
Lucic is so bad at hockey.
The worst part is that he’s better than spooner, cave,puljujarvi, Yamamoto and reider.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Hence why the vast majority of the players don’t actually live here, most rent during the season.

It’s not the 80’s or 90’s anymore it’s a different generation and mentality around the league. These guys want to be able to live like millionaires, enjoy there big money in a place that allows them too.

I’ve said it on here before after reading and listening to several interviews of former oilers and NHL players you’d be lucky to find 1 in 10 that would play in this market up in Edmonton.
That isn't true. The vast majority of Oilers live in Edmonton year round.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 PM

Oilers loose again. Flames win again.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
That isn't true. The vast majority of Oilers live in Edmonton year round.
Vast majority.

Talbot, lucic, brodziak and benning.

Players without established families all go home, which is not Edmonton. Former oiler Ryan Whitney and ft. Sask native mike commodore talked about the reasons why players don’t want to play in Edmonton in a podcast.

I’ll tell you what, if I’m making that money I’m sure as hell not staying in Edmonton with the circus and constant scrutiny. It’d be hard enough during the season, these guys need a break from the nonsense.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:32 PM

Just saw on TSN that GM will be replaced in tbe next few days. Somebody had to pay the price.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Just saw on TSN that GM will be replaced in tbe next few days. Somebody had to pay the price.
But Chia? Why him?? Best thing that ever happened....to the other 30 teams.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
If a player clears waivers, the team has 30 days or 10 games to assign the player to the minors. ( I think I have those numbers right but don't quote me on them ) The team does not have to assign the players to the minors, but by placing the players on waivers, the team has the option.

I would suspect that the Oilers are wanting to make a trade. They need cap space as they have precious little of it. So, if the Oilers make a trade in the next little while they can assign Spooner and Rattie to the farm and gain some valuable cap space that they could use on the new player. If a trade is not made, Spooner and Rattie can continue to play with the Oilers
Old 01-22-2019, 11:59 PM
Banned

Do not open this if your a Oiler fan.....

JR just went nuclear on your team.
I don't know if I have seen this amount of bad mouthing from a media type before....
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/jer...DcHLdpk0LZO-cI

Official now. New GM coming in at some point.
Seriously, this is the best news I have heard. I want this to work for you guys. Fans chanting to fire PC probably helped.
Good luck you guys. You are all damn fine hockey fans.

Last edited by Jamie; 01-23-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 AM

So, down 3-1 late, they pull Kos at 2:26 and push hard, getting within one.

There's 1:04 left after Detroit ices twice in a row, giving the boys offensive zone faceoffs.

Having been out for almost a minute and a half, ALL of the big guns are GASSED.

It is inconceivable to me that Hitch did not call a time out at this point! I realize the concept of catching the opposing D tired and unable to change, but when the cameras zoomed into McD for the face off even he was gasping for air through a wide open mouth.

Brutal.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Under the 2005 CBA, if an NHL player is being sent to an NHL affiliate team in the AHL and is put through waivers and clears successfully, then his salary will not count against the respective NHL team's salary cap. ... If a player is claimed on waivers, then the claiming team is responsible for the rest of their contract.
Is this correct? I thought under the latest CBA that this was changed so that if a player cleared waivers and was sent down to the AHL, their contract or a portion of it, still counted towards the NHL teams salary cap. Thought it was changed in response to what the Rangers did with Redden. Signed him to a big contract and when his play suffered, sent him down to the minors to get his salary off their cap.

For example, Karl Alzner cleared waivers and was sent down to the minors but a portion of his salary still counts against Mtl’s Salary cap.

Or am I mistaken on this?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:02 AM
Banned

Tonight’s game was possibly the worst that I’ve seen the Oilers play this year. With everything going on and the pressure for them to win, they didn’t even look like they put any effort into it in the first two periods. It was friggin embarrassing. Even Koskinen, who I think is a darned good goalie (better than Talbot anyway) let in two really stinky goals. I don’t know what is going on with them but it’s almost like they are trying to be bad. Brutal.....
Old 01-23-2019, 01:19 AM

Default Oilers

Oilers management finally make a good decision and fire "Chiarelli". Let the rebuilding begin.